Does anyone else use Kettlebells?

• Just wondering... My husband has been using them for a couple of years now. He used to use free-weights, but switched to Kettlebells and has since increased his strength and muscle A LOT!

For those who have no idea what I am talking about: Kettlebells are a Russian weight training system... Weights that are in the shape of a ball with a built in handle. The moves are a cross between weight lifting and dancing/swinging the weight. It is hard to explain...

Anyway... My husband is going to start being my personal trainer (he used to be one before joining the military). I will be training with kettlebells.
  • They are discussed on Krista's wonderful site: www.stumptuous.com/weights.html. Click on the "training" link at the top, then scroll down to the "kettlestack" link. Looks like fun! In a way ...
  • I use them for some things and they are fun. A good way to mix up your workout. BUT...you have to be fairly strong to start with. From what I've seen, the lightest available kettleball is over 20 pounds. This makes a lot of the moves impossible for a beginner and darn hard for even an experienced trained, female lifter! One way to "ease" into kettleball training is with powerballs: these are basically medicine balls of various weights with a handle. You can also do a lot of the kettleball moves with a single dumbbell.

Mel
  • We have a 9 pounder...