Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Treadmill or Recumbent Bike!? Please Help!!

Im looking into buying either a treadmill or a recumbent bike, and Im not sure which one would be better. Im looking only to spend around $600-$700, and I've found a few on sears.ca.

Pro Form® Folding Treadmill $599.99 (Reg. $1099.99)
1.3-hp continuous-duty motor
16 x 50" treadbelt
3-10% incline range
Competitor™ LCD display shows speed, time, distance, pulse, approximate calories and fat calories burned
Target Pulse Analysis™ gives a quick heart rate reading by placing thumb on sensor
reading rack with holder for your water bottle and remote
made in Canada
supports weight up to 250 lb.
Assembly rating Level 1 : 2 people, less than 1 hour
1-year warranty on parts
31" w. x 64" l. x 50" h.

Free Spirit® Recumbent Magnetic Resistance Bike $299.99
8-level manual tension control
LCD window displays time, speed, distance, calories, pulse, room temperature
hand grip pulse sensors
supports up to 250 lb.
exclusive to Sears
assembly rating is level 1: 2 people less than 1 hour
44" w. x 61 1/2" l. x 24 1/2" h.

Free Spirit® Magnetic-Resistance Recumbent Cycle $299.99
New!
seat can be adjusted vertically and horizontally
24" w. x 56" l. x 31" h.
graduated tension with deluxe 8-position control
LCD window displays: time, speed, distance, calories, pulse and scan
grip pulse
250 lb. maximum user weight
storage wheels
steel tube frame construction
requires 4 'AA' batteries (not included

Free Spirit® Recumbent Bike $179.99 (Reg. $259.99)
adjustable magnetic resistance
LCD window displays time, speed, distance and calories burned
dual action synchronizes upper and lower body motion with push and pull handle bars
adjustable padded seat
supports weight up to 250 lb.
only at Sears
Assembly rating Level 1: 2 people, less than 1 hour
1-year warranty on parts and labour
24 1/2" w. x 51" l. x 30 3/4"

Free Spirit™ 2-In-1 Rower/Recumbent Exercycle $499.99
adjust the 8-level magnetic resistance by turning the tension knob
1-window LCD monitor displays speed, time, distance, pulse, approximate calories burned, recovery; batteries included
hand-grip pulse sensor
front roller wheels
foldable design
aluminum central beam
converts to a rower
supports up to 250 lb.
24" w. x 74 1/2" l. x 33 1/2" h.
assembly rating is level 1:2 people less than one hour
only at Sears!

Which one would be the better investment and which would be better for losing weight (calories burned etc.)??
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:52 PM   #2  
jmuns79

The treadmill will burn more calories. According to a recent issue of Shape magazine, a recumbant bike, burns 15% fewer calories thatn an upright bike, since you have to burn calories holding yourself in an upright position.

With a treadmill, if you pump your arms, stand up straight and suck in the belly, you will burn many more calories then on the bike, since you're incorporating more muscles. Plus, I find it easier to use the treadmill for longer periods of time.

That being said, if you think you can stick to using the bike more than a treadmill, buy it because any form of regular exercise is better than none!
jmuns79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #3  

I have found that an elliptical machine is your best bet. When trying both the treadmill and elliptical machine i found the elliptical machine burned about 25 more calories per 10mins, and was alot easier on my joints. If you get the ones that have arm movement also, thats more calories burned! good luck
Lipbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #4  
it's always something

Consumer Reports gave Proform, and similar department store models, really bad ratings. See this thread for more details From what I've read on various sites, they use cheap parts that break down quickly, and the only service you can expect is for them to mail parts to you while they talk you through a repair on the phone. Normally I would never suggest getting the extended warranty that Sears offers (someone that works in their warranty division told me that it was their biggest money-maker because people didn't need them or use them) but I personally would not buy one of these machines without it. Sears would send someone to your home to repair it, if needed. I had actually seriously considered getting a Proform from Sears in January, with the warranty, until I read the CR report. I ended up buying an Endurance treadmill for just a little bit more, from a sports store, and it has a lifetime warranty on everything.

However, you never know when you'll have good luck. I had an inexpensive Weslo that we bought in 96 and it lasted until last year and never gave me any problems until then.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #5  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipbalmer
I have found that an elliptical machine is your best bet. When trying both the treadmill and elliptical machine i found the elliptical machine burned about 25 more calories per 10mins, and was alot easier on my joints. If you get the ones that have arm movement also, thats more calories burned! good luck
I hate using the elliptical, we have a "ski machine" like the gazelle and Ive used the ellipticals at the gym and I cant even stand 30 minutes on either of them b/c my knees ache, ive already buggered one up, and my legs hurt...walking and using a sitting bike are the only things i can do on a machine that i can do for long periods of time and dont hurt me, i dont like the upright bikes though they make my butt hurt lol
Old 06-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #6  
it's always something

I find that the elliptical with the wheel in the front is easier to use than the one with the wheel in the back. Seems to work a completely different set of muscles, and also seem to be easier on the knee - at least on my knees.

I personally prefer a treadmill over any other type of equipment. It's easy on my joints, I can push myself as hard as I want, or as slow as I want, I can use an incline if I need a harder workout, and I can put on my headphones and daydream the hour away. I love it.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

I would also go with a treadmill. I had a pro-form from Sears and it was made very cheaply. I ended up selling it and joining a gym.
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #8  
Learning To Fly...

well the Treadmill from sears looks to be good, it doesn't look cheap or anything and it has a gaurentee...I just can't afford one of those big ones that cost like $3000