Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #1  
Heather

Default Jogging Issues

Well, I have jogged off and on for about 2 years now- I have been doing tae bo for the last month or so instead of jogging due to the weather here. Well it has gotten really nice lately so I went for a jog this morning- not long, just shy of 2 miles is all I was going to go. I got about 3/4 of the way and I had to stop, my shins were killing me. I used to get shin splints pretty bad when I first started jogging, but I trained my self to land on my feet differently, more on the front then on the heel- that helped a lot. But this morning, even WALKING the rest of the way home hurt really bad!

What I need to know, is if anyone else has this problem, and what if anything you do about it? Do I have to just grit my teeth and keep jogging through the pain? I jog at a very slow pace, so not to make myself gasp for breath, but still go at a pace that gets my heart rate up. I feel so I dont know, not even able to go 2 miles?
echocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #2  

Most of the time when people have problem with shin splints the problem is either their shoes, or they're trying to do too much, too soon. How are your shoes? Quality running shoes that are right for foot type are important. However, I suspect the problem was the sudden shock to your body. Running puts a lot of force on the lower leg, particularly if you are running on asphalt. Try and build back up slowly, maybe find softer running surfaces, and definitely check your shoes.

Now, can you send that nice weather my way?
Alisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:12 PM   #3  
Heather

The shoes are new, so that could be a reason, and I run on asphalt. I think I will run one of the many trials around here this weekend, and maybe I will get
used to it again. thanks for your input. and no way, I think I will hog the nice weather all to myself
echocreek is offline   Reply With Quote