3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   reading while you exercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/46334-reading-while-you-exercise.html)

Suzanne 3FC 09-07-2004 11:35 PM

reading while you exercise?

I see a lot of treadmills and ellipticals that come with brackets to hold books so you can read while you work out. Am I the only one that can't do that?

Is it just a marketing ploy to make newbies think that exercising is so easy on their equipment, that you can do something else at the same time?

Do I just need to get my eyes checked?

:)

gatsby 09-07-2004 11:44 PM

i think i'd get sick doing that. most people i see doing that are not really pushing it. perhaps they are thinking "might as well pedal this thing while i read" rather than "maybe i'll read while i pedal this thing"
there are tv's in front of the cardio machines at the gym and i look at them but have a hard time following what's going on. i like to listen to my breathing and keep an eye on my rpm's.
beware: don't try reading while lifting weights!

gen

AngieH 09-08-2004 02:26 AM

I have a book holder on my Nordic Track. It is the only thing that has kept me exercising through "thick and thin"! ;) It does take a certain amount of coordination, but it makes the time fly by.

By the way, I reached my goal weight last week.....a total loss of 67 pounds...so I guess I was pushing hard enough!! :D

clarrie 09-08-2004 05:30 AM

Reading this, I felt jealous - I love to read and I'd love to be able to read while exercising, but cycling and swimming aren't really compatible with reading :lol: but then I thought for a minute, and actually, I enjoy that during my exercise times, I am focussed and 'in the moment' (not many miles or centuries or lifetimes away with my head in a book like I am most of the rest of the time).

UnCafeCvooPlay 09-08-2004 09:02 AM

That "reading the same line 20,000 times and still not comprehending it-thing" was happening too much to make it enjoyable.

almostheaven 09-08-2004 09:06 AM

I read while walking at 4.2 on the treadmill. I used to walk much slower and another gal would read while walking that speed. I could never see how she could do it. But as time went on, the weight went down, my speed and balance improved, I found I could let go of the bars and swing my arms. Later I found I could actually read while walking. Since I'm a sci fi fan, this allows me time to read the latest King or Koontz while walking. Heck, I even studied my Network + Certification book for class while walking. An hour of reading each night and another hour of reading during lunch and I had read the whole book two weeks before class ended.

lj_cox 09-08-2004 07:54 PM

Stationary bikes are great for reading, though it's the only machine I can read on. I can't use the holders though, have to hold the book up closer than that. As far as intensity while reading goes, while I quite see the point of being in the moment while exercising, the pool of sweat under the bike and the HR of 140-160 suggest that my intensity level is ok. :) Sometimes the only thing that gets me into the gym for cardio is the idea of 40 minutes uninterrupted reading! ;)

Linda C.

funniegrrl 09-08-2004 09:18 PM

Lots of people at my fitness center read on the ellipticals and stationary bikes. To me, though, it's the worst of both worlds. The few times I've tried it, my reading comprehension was much slower. Also, I want to focus on what my body is doing and on pushing myself, and not be distracted. One of my goals at the beginning was to learn to like exercise for it's own sake, and not to treat it as a chore that I had to bribe myself to do. So, reading doesn't fit in with that. I also don't like to watch TV while exercising for the same reasons. I do listen to music, but that helps me keep a brisk pace more than provide "entertainment."

markgm 10-03-2004 03:36 PM

Mine is used to hold the remote! Unless it's a picture book, I'd never be able to use it. Plus, who wants to get sweat all over their books?

Meg 10-03-2004 03:45 PM

I wish I could because I love to read and it would make the time pass so much faster. But though I've tried, I just can't get the hang of it -- once I get going on the elliptical, I bounce too much. I can barely keep my iPod and water bottle on the ledge in front of me. :dizzy: Our Mel has a great idea -- she listens to books on tape while she does cardio. :)

Celebrity Skin 10-03-2004 05:54 PM

I'm a big reader, but find books nearly impossible while working out. Too much motion, too far away. I tend to go for magazines (Self is a great one for the gym) and I focus on the articles with bigger print and shorter blurbs--much easier to follow and focus on without drawing attention away from the job at hand.

I tend to space in and out on it, though. It's nice to have something there if I feel myself getting bored, however.

Jennifer 3FC 10-03-2004 08:59 PM

I can't read on them at all. I've only tried once, but it was a total failure. I'm moving too fast to focus on little words. I don't know how I could do much more than a stroll if I wanted to read. I was on a mailing list once and a girl there posted from her treadmill. She kept the keyboard (I think she was on WebTV) on top of the console. I don't see how!

SnugasaPug 10-04-2004 08:14 PM

Count me in with the readers! What I read depends on the machine I'm on. Books on the Elliptical, less bouncing, and magazines on the treadmill. Makes the time fly!