3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   7 weeks at the gym and no changes... pizza anyone? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/43958-7-weeks-gym-no-changes-pizza-anyone.html)

joank 07-24-2004 12:15 AM

7 weeks at the gym and no changes... pizza anyone?

Well, I made up my mind over Memorial Day weekend that I was going to lose weight and get into shape. I spent a small fortune on a gym and told myself that I was going to work out at least 4 times a week. To my surprise, I started going 5 or 6 times a week, spent at least 45 doing cardio (usually the eliptical) and 3 times a week doing weight training. I started to eat right and cut out snacking. So I figured by now, I would see a change when I got on the scale. Nope. Then I thought, "muscle weighs more than fat" and firgured that eventually, my clothes wouldn't be as snug. Nope. I still weigh the same as I did before Memorial Day and my clothes are still as snug. I am so frustrated and tired of being defeated. I am ready to order a pizza! What am I doing wrong? Any clues or advice?
I just keep telling myself, "at least I am putting in the effort" but, come on! Give this girl a break! :dizzy:

nelie 07-24-2004 12:31 AM

I know it can be frustrating to have something like that happen but not knowing your situation, it may be something that either could need some self evaluation, medical advice or exercise advice.

If you don't do it already, you could track your food and evaluate if what you are eating is really what you think you are eating. Sometimes you can eat too little or too much without even realizing it. Another thing you could do is take a visit to the doctor and explain your concern and your situation. Unfortunately, not all doctors are sensitive to how hard it can be to lose weight especially if your body is fighting you on it. The last thing you could do is talk to a personal trainer and get advice on how to exercise efficiently and effectively.

teapotdynamo 07-24-2004 02:51 AM

Pardon the posting time -- I have major insomnia! It's really hot, and we don't have an air conditioner in here yet.

I second what nelie said, particularly about the food. I am going through something very similar. I joined the gym about 3 months ago, and have lost a little bit of weight -- about 13 pounds -- but it's definitely not just "falling off" like I imagined.

Based on my personal experience (and having read many of these threads now), I am going to guess that the issue is with your calorie intake, unless there's a something medical going on. When I started, I wasn't losing at all, but I wasn't making any nutritional changes. Once I started watching my food intake much more carefully -- voila -- results. I have been somewhat frustrated/discouraged to learn that the gym seems to be only ~30% responsible for whether I lose weight or not... everything else is what I put in my mouth.

Although it can be a pain to track calories, I would definitely suggest using FitDay (www.fitday.com). It's free, and even if you use it only for a few days, it helps to see how much food really "costs" in terms of calories. I know I was shocked -- things like cream in coffee and sugary iced tea really add up! I think before I thought of them as "freebies" as they weren't really "food."

Give it a shot and see what you think. In the meantime, are there any positive results other than what you see on the scale that you've achieved from going to the gym? I know the *shape* of my body has changed a bit based on the new muscle. I'm a HECK of a lot healthier, too. The first day I started, I could do the elliptical for only 6 minutes, and now I can go for 45, and my heart rate has gone wayyyy down.

Also - a trainer gave me a "freebie tip" and mentioned that I mix up what I do for cardio. He mentioned I should try the stairmaster, so I added that for 5 minutes at first, now 10. It did help to "bump up" my results a little bit.

If you do these things and still feel like you're not losing weight, I would definitely suggest going to the doctor. There may be insulin issues or something else that could effect what your optimal diet may be.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk. I KNOW this is a frustrating process!!!

Jennifer

lessofsarahtolove 07-24-2004 02:40 PM

Joan, I would agree with both of the above posts. It sounds like you're really working hard to get the results you want, and I know it can be frustrating when you can't see that hard work reflected on the scale. You should, however, be seeing some difference in how your clothes are fitting by now, given the amount of exercise you're doing. Jennifer makes a great suggestion in recommending FitDay -- it's really important that you get a complete and accurate picture of your caloric intake before jumping to any conclusions. They say that diet is 80% of the battle, exercise the remaining 20.

By the way, Jennifer, I've been reading your posts with interest. Congrat's on your progress! You're a welcome addition to 3FC! Have you checked out the 100lb forum yet? There's an enormous amount of support to be found there. Hey, where in NY are you? I was raised in Chelsea.

joank 07-24-2004 09:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I started a food journal a few days ago to keep track of what I eat. Hopefully, I will be able to see some physical changes soon. As for other changes, I do feel a lot better getting myself to the gym. I am able to run for a few minutes without thinking I am going to die and i am able to stay on the elliptical for about 45 minutes to an hour. So, yes, my health is definitely benefiting from the workouts.
Congratulations to you all on your progress!
Thanks again!
joan

lessofsarahtolove 07-25-2004 12:03 AM

Joan, it's great that you're staying positive about it, and that you haven't thrown in the towel. The progress you've made in terms of overall fitness is huge!! I'm glad that you've started to journal the food -- hate to keep shoving FitDay down your throat ;) -- but it really is a great tool and a lot of folks find it easier and more manageable than manually journalling. I actually use some great software that I purchased for $50 or so after trying it out for free for 2 weeks, and I've found it SO helpful throughout my process. I have a longer road than you, but I'd recommend it to anyone -- regardless of their journey, as it gives so much information and tracks so many aspects of nutrition and exercise. But before getting it, I used FitDay, and I got some real eye-openers when it came to some caloric and fat counts -- and I'd thought myself pretty food-savvy before then. (Ignorance was not the cause of my weight gain, let's just put it that way! ;) )

Stay in touch, and let us know how things progress for you! You really are on the right track, and it would be to hear more good news from you. :)

joank 07-25-2004 12:45 AM

Hi Sarah
I did it... i checked out fitday and did a bit of research on it and i downloaded the program onto my computer. I am hoping this will help me figure things out. Thanks again for encouraging me. I am getting excited!
I will keep you posted on how things are going.
joan

lessofsarahtolove 07-25-2004 01:03 AM

Woo hoo, Joan! :high: You go, grabbing the bull by the horns! You'll have to let me know how you like it -- my software is called Diet Power, which is misleading, because it's not just for dieters. I loved FitDay when I used it,though......it's awesome that you are just setting yourself up for success like this! You go, girl! :)

teapotdynamo 07-25-2004 06:27 PM

In my earlier message, joank, I forgot to say the best part - congrats on all the changes you're making. I know it's hard (boy, do I know!), but just think how much healthier we will all be when (not if!) we follow through with all these changes!!!

Sarah, thanks so much for the kind words! I'm finding this forum to be a lot of help so far (it helps keep me honest and keeps me going on days when I feel like scrapping it all!). And what a small world -- I lived in Chelsea for the first two years I lived in NYC, before moving across town to the Gramercy/Murray Hill area! Where do you live now?

One last word about the exercise/food weight loss split. The one caveat I do have to the 80/20 equation is that I have found that my *overall* level of exercise (not just what I do in the gym) makes a big difference in whether I lose, gain, or stay the same. On the weekends, for instance, when I'm much more *generally* active, walking around the city, going dancing, etc., I find I can eat a little more and still lose weight than on weekdays when I sit at my largely sedentary job after working out at the gym in the morning. That's why I'd skew the activity a little higher. This is not to suggest we should all eat like crap and watch the pounds float away (wouldn't it be nice...) but only to point out the importance of being more active whenever possible, not just for "gym hour."

All that said, can I just tell you how much I'm going to party when I can fit into my first clothes from a "regular" store? I will be the STYLE QUEEN, I vow to you!

Great to meet you guys. Thanks for all the support!

KAR73 07-25-2004 09:43 PM

Hi Joan, Sarah and Jennifer,
Sounds like you are all doing a wonderful job at excerising and watching what you eat. Keep up the good work! I know that when I started my weight loss journey, I felt like you too, Joan. The first few weeks are always the difficult ones. But it sounds like you are on the right track now. How much water do you intake during the day? I noticed that when I really got serious about losing weight, I started to drink more water. I try to drink about 12 to 16 8oz. glasses of water a day. Once I started to do that and cut out the pop and sweet drinks, I started to lose a little more weight. So that might be a suggestion that will help you too. I am glad that you are starting to feel more healthier. Have you tried to measure yourself to see if you have lost any inches? That might be something to give you a little more encouragement. I hope I have been of some help to you Joan.
I belong to a weight loss support group called TOPS. You might what to see if there is one in your area. The support I have gotten from my TOPS has encouraged me and kept me going. It is $20. a year to join and my clubs monthy dues are $2.50. So that is also an option you might what to look into.
Kerry

HW:270
SW:229.25 4-1-03
CW:207 7-20-04
GW:125-130

joank 07-26-2004 12:39 AM

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great Sunday.
Kerry- I did measure myself but not until recently. I don't know if i actually lost any inches since the beginning of my workout until now. i do drink a lot of water. I would say at least 64 oz a day.

For anyone that is using the Fit Day program, how do you log in things like using the elliptical machine for an hour? i didn't see that as one of the options.

I had to come to a revelation the other day. I need to be healthy for me. I think I just wanted my mom to stop nagging me about my weight so I wanted to lose weight for her. But, I know that I has to be all about me. I keep hearing her say to me, "The reason you are not married is because you are fat". Oh good grief. As much as I love my mother, her words are so painful to me at times. What is it with women and their mothers??? I think as soon as i was able to tell myself that it wasn't what she wanted for me but what I wanted for me, I was able to make a deeper commitment to this.
It's funny... i have great group of girlfriends that I share so much with and tho they say they understand, i don't think they really do. But, i find great comfort posting this to a handful of 'strangers'. thank you for letting me share. :smug:
I hope you will have a wonderful start of the work week. Ugh. Mondays.... :p
joan

teapotdynamo 07-26-2004 06:18 AM

Joank-

Don't have much time to write because I'm headed out the door for a business trip, but I did want to give you a quick FitDay tip. I couldn't find the elliptical cross-trainer, either (and it's my fave!!!), so I use as a proxy the "Rowing, stationary, 200 W, very vigorous effort." I found that the calorie count is almost precisely the same as my gym's elliptical trainers.

Hope this helps!

Jen

KAR73 07-26-2004 03:03 PM

Hi Joan, Jen and Sarah,
Atleast now that you have measured yourself, you will have a starting point to use the next time you measure yourself. I measure myself once a month.
That is great that you have come to terms with the real reason you want to lose weight. I know for a few years, my mom would nag me about losing weight. I was only half hearted at the attempt. Then after I met my dh and his three little ones, I knew that I had to do something for myself to be healthier and around to enjoy the kids growing up years. So I can whole heartly relate to what you are saying.
Have a great day!
Kerry

joank 07-27-2004 09:31 AM

Hello hello
Well, i had to dump my fitday program from my computer. The program kept making my computer crash. Has anyone else using fitday experienced this? I'll just stick to the online version.
Hope you have a great day!
joan

lessofsarahtolove 07-27-2004 05:23 PM

Joan, I'm sorry that happened to you! Oof! I would recommend looking into Diet Power; I use it and found it to be markedly superior to Fit Day. It allows you to customize food items, recipes, and exercises, and you can not only set different kinds of goals (including weight loss, macronutrients, water, and more) but it tracks your metabolism based on what you've eaten, weigh, how tall you are, the exercise you've done, and your age. It tells you when you're deficient in some nutrient, and then provides not only general sources of that nutrient but also names foods that you've eaten that are good sources as well. It does lots and lots and lots of stuff. I love it and have recommended it to others who have loved it as well.

The first two weeks are free; after that it cost like 40 or 50 bucks. I found it worth it, because I've used it. I also journal there and use it's calendar to set goals for myself.

But Fit Day is good too! And it's free!

joank 07-28-2004 11:28 PM

Hello all!
I've decided to use an online journal/food log/activity log thing. My computer has been wacky these days and I don't want to risk anything. My roommate tells me that i am starting to obsess about working out, what i eat and researching what i can do to start seeing changes. Uh oh... i think she may be right. When i am at work, i am thinking about how i can sneak out of the office to get to the gym earlier and what i should eat for dinner so it will not be too many calories. Goodness. i guess it can be a good obsession.

I love looking at the weight changes is ya'lls signatures! i am jealous! ;)

have a great rest of the week!
joan

lessofsarahtolove 07-29-2004 11:48 PM

Well, Joan, I guess if it's truly an "obsession," then EVERYONE should be so lucky as to develop one! I think you're doing just soooo GREAT, I really do. You need to give yourself credit for taking care of your body in this way, and for putting forth such heroic effort to reach your goals. Sometimes it's wierd for the "bystanders," the people who watch the person they've known doing things that are unfamiliar and it shakes up their sense of who you are. It's a transition for them as well, and maybe she's going through something like that. You didn't say she had, but I just wanted to reach out to say that I want to make sure you don't feel self-conscious about these positive changes in your life. You ROCK, and your discipline and persistance are inspiring. You get huge thumbs up in my book. :high:

Jennifer, I grew up on 20th between 9th and 10th -- where were you in Chelsea? I live outside Baltimore now, but it was a long road here......buncha states in the US, Northern India, Italy for a few years, Ireland.......and now, nutty B'more. I love it here -- and also, here is where the love is, and you've gotta stick with the love, right? ;) Hey, did you see the responses at 100 lb? I think you're going to love Tammy and Gretchen, especially. They're both super positive, focused, spirited, and serious about achieving their goals....not to mention they're both total sweethearts.

Joan, you should visit the 100 lb forum also -- you don't have to have 100 pounds to lose to fit in there. There are plenty of <200 lb people there, and it really is a very supportive group. It's also one of the most active forums on here, so there's always something to check out.

Oh yeah, and the 100 lb folks on the east coast are meeting in Pittsburgh in October! So, Joan, check us out over there! And Jennifer, that's a hike for a few of us, but 4 hours is totally worth it, in my case. You should check out that thread over there. I don't think there will end up being a whole lot of us going, but at least like 5 or 6 of us, plus Jack and Meg from the Maintainers and Ladies Who Lift forums -- and both of them are so inspirational. Food for thought.

Hope you're both doing well.....and that YOU, Jennifer, are not living it up too much on the road!

soon2Bripped 08-01-2004 12:40 AM

I'm new to this "posting thread" thing, so please be patient w/ me. However I am not new to Health & Fitness. I am an athlete who is recovering from an injury; during the past year I have gained about 15 lbs. That may not seem like a lot to some people, but even people who aren't trying to lose 100 lbs. need a support system too. I need an alternative to my after 7 PM binge eating/ grazing, so here I am.

I have read through some of the threads and I feel like I need to share my knowledge with everyone. I hold 3 National Certifications in Personal Training, Nutrition, & Weight Managment. Let's start w/ Nutrition - It is true, 60%-70% of your results come from your diet. The food log (whether it's online or on paper) is a fabulous way to hold yourself accountable. Most people don't realize how much they eat...until they right it down.

On the topic of spending a fortune to join a gym, well, as long as you're using the gym, consider it a wonderful investment in your health & well-being (emotional as well as physical). You should start to FEEL better (increased energy levels, etc.) within a couple of weeks. You say you went 5-6 x a week for a month and haven't seen any results???? Well, we didn't get to our current weight over night and it's not going to go away over night. Once you realize this FACT and accept it - you'll be able to move forward and make progress.

Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, but sometimes you just have to lay it on the line.

bandrant 08-01-2004 02:26 AM

I too am new to the forums and I have been reading a lot of the different posts. From what I gather from the postings of everyone, this is a very supportive group of folks that are trying to encourage one another to get fit and into a healthier lifestyle. It is rought to fight the battle of weightloss.
I hope Joank was not discouraged by the last posting. It is true, sometimes you just have to lay it on the line and tell it how it is. But, as a therapist, and working with many many people that are in need of strength, sometimes you need to know the person first before you put it out there. Never assume that people are able to be strong enough to hear "the truth". Never assume that we know a total stranger's life and what brought on the weight gain. Everyone is different and most likely their stories are different. No, we didn't all wake up one morning and gain 10, 20 or 50 pounds and I am sure none of us thinks we are going to wake up in the morning looking like a movie star.

Joank, I applaud your efforts for the last 2 months and I hope you will continue to do your best for yourself. Strive for those goals one day at a time . Focus on how you feel and try not to focus on how you look. I am sure you are your worst critic (aren't we all!). Know that you probably have at least a handful of people on these forums rooting for you. I am! You can do it!!!! PM me if you need to chat.
B-

lessofsarahtolove 08-01-2004 06:41 PM

A little positive support goes a long way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandrant
I hope Joank was not discouraged by the last posting. It is true, sometimes you just have to lay it on the line and tell it how it is. But, as a therapist, and working with many many people that are in need of strength, sometimes you need to know the person first before you put it out there. B-

I couldn't agree more! I have been responding to Joan since she first posted asking for help, and I have never gotten from her that she expected an overnight change. However, after 7 weeks -- and now 2 months -- of giving it her all, she was understandably frustrated! Did that frustration knock her off track? NO! She reached out for support, sought out -- and followed -- some sound advice, and then continued to persevere, digging her heels in harder in working to achieve her goals.

Joan, I think you're doing a great job! I respect the heck out of you and applaud your determination and discipline. It's easy for someone else to sit on the sidelines and jump to conclusions about what others feel or think -- it's a lot harder to stoically keep on working towards your goals day after day, when you're not yet seeing the results that would help to keep you motivated. You'll get there....and in the meantime, you're obviously enjoying the process, and making enormously positive changes in your life. I look forward to your next post, and hearing how you're doing.

Bandrant -- your post was a pleasure, and I hereby welcome you to 3FC! Thanks for keeping things positive and supportive -- that's how we like it around here! ;) I look forward to your continued presence here, and to hearing more about your goals! :)

joank 08-02-2004 12:32 AM

Gosh... i feel like the kid at school that was being picked on and then the 'cool kids' came and stuck up for me! :^: Thank you Sarah and Bandrant for your encouragement. I have to admit, when i read the post from Soon2bripped, i was a bit taken aback. I appreciate the honesty but the first thing that came to my mind was "you don't know me!" I felt like soon2b thought of me as a whiner and an 'oh woe as me' type of person. Then I thought, why am i going to justify myself to this person who doesn't know me and who has no vested interest in me as a person. So, i shrugged it off and knew I did have a good support system and one person was not going to make me feel like crap and make me go for that pizza!

Yes, month 2 has now gone... and no, no weight lost. Actually, i think i gained a pound. :mad: I don't get it. I have been tracking my food intake and it hasn't gone over 1500 calories at all and i have been at the gym 11 days in a row (34 days since i started 2 months ago). It better be muscle! ;) But, i am seeing some body shape changes. I didn't realize it until yesterday. I tried on a shirt about 3 weeks ago at a department store. cute, but a little tight. I saw it again yesterday and tried it on. it fit, not as tight. So, some improvement. i will take anything!
I should throw my scale out the window. it is just making me batty!
Thanks ladies (guessing that Banrant is a she :) ) for being my sounding board!

nelie 08-02-2004 11:55 AM

Good work Joan. You should definitely take measurements. Also, it is good to rest from the gym or take a "light workout" day at least once a week so that your body can recover. Your muscles definitely need some recovery time (and plenty of protein) to rebuild and, hopefully, burn more fat than before.

teapotdynamo 08-03-2004 11:40 AM

Joank - I noticed the clothes thing way before the scale change, as well. I kept insisting that my mind was playing tricks on me until I pulled on a t-shirt in an XL that had never fit before, and it actually fit. After that, I tried on all my clothes and realized there was a bigger change than I had thought! I am even buying smaller sizes now. So keep up the good work! I think you may be going through the same thing as I am, too, where you see yourself every day, so you don't notice the small changes. Then suddenly it just hits you... WOW - that's where I was!!!!

Sarah - Sorry it took me so long to respond. It's been a busy couple of weeks, and I was able to accompany my husband to Florida for a long weekend on his business trip (nice, because most of it is expensable!). I lived on 23rd between 6th & 7th. I love the area you used to live - lots of brownstones and tree-lined streets. Now I live closer to the Gramercy/Murray Hill area on the East Side. I have lived in NYC for almost 3 years now, and I still really love it.

Well, kick *** this week, everybody! :)

lessofsarahtolove 08-03-2004 01:20 PM

Hey, Joan -- nice to see you! You made me laugh with your "cool kids" reference -- I just had to speak up! You are doing great, and I'm really proud of you. Hey, congrat's on the looser top! See??!! Think inches, think muscles! Do me a favor, and look at this, and then tell me what you think about pounds vs. inches. :yes: That said, how's it going with FitDay these days? Any learnings, challenges, anything else?

Jennifer's back! Jennifer's back! Yay, I'm so glad to see you again....hope you had a good time in Fla - di - da. God, with your skin, are you just purple? Or did you spend a fortune on SPF 30 sunblock and walk around lathered up in the stuff? :lol: Hey, I checked out Daily Gusto, and that place rocks! Great job, I'm pretty impressed! Methinks you are a thinking woman! :chin: Hey, nice to see you returned to 100 as well....you are such a great addition! Did you see that a few folks welcomed you? (A couple of them are favorites of mine -- Gretchen and Tammy -- they're both positive, motivated, intelligent, and sassy!)

Take care, you two. It would be nice if that bandrant came back -- she was cool!

teapotdynamo 08-03-2004 02:18 PM

Hey, Sarah. Thanks for the kind words about Daily Gusto! It's a nice outlet, even though we've been too busy to post much this summer.

Re: the sun... Yes, I did get a pretty bad sunburn despite the 30 SPF, although it's settling into a nice tan now. I give it about a week, and I'll be back to my pallid self. I usually avoid the sun, but I thought it might be fun to be a little brown for a change!

Probably not the right place to post this, but I LOVE 100. So many inspiring, intelligent women! It's really helped me out a lot so far, especially when I've gotten discouraged (darn those plateaus!). Where is the post from Gretchen/Tammy, by the way? I think I may have missed it!

bandrant 08-04-2004 12:59 AM

Hello beautiful ladies! :D I am so glad to hear the positive reports from everyone. I hope I was not out of line in my posting. It was just so frustrating to read and I couldn't hold my tongue! It drives me up the wall when assumptions are made. Actually, this is probably going to be my last post. I did a search of weight loss support forums and I came across this website. I was going on the forums to find information for some of my clients who wanted more of an 'anonymous' support and I wanted to suggest an online forum for them to go to. As I was reading I stumbled across this one and I had to sign up so I could respond. I wasn't intending to continue with the process. It was more to set the record straight with soon2B. I was able to correspond a bit with Joan and I know she is thankful for having the opportunity to share with others her struggles. I hope my clients will soon go and log on to 3fc forums too. They will surely be encouraged.
I just want to wish you all the best in your weight loss endeavors. I have faith that your goals will be met!!! :cb: Keep encouraging each other to do your best and look out for each other. I will keep you in my prayers! It has been my pleasure!
B-

KAR73 08-05-2004 09:29 PM

Hi Ladies,
Sorry I haven't been around lately. I am a school teacher and have started getting ready to go back to school here in a few weeks. Just thoght I would drop in to check on everyone.
Joan that is great news about the clothes fitting differently. Keep up the good work. Here in a few weeks you will start to see more changes in your body, pound wise and inches wise. It takes time to get and see results. But once you do, they are worth it.
I should know. I have been heavy for about 14 years now. I dieted off and on over the years. It was only after I met my dh and his three little ones that I decided to be more healthier. So for the last two years I have been dieting and excerising. It has been a long hard struggle, but I am now really seeing some results. I am glad to see that you are staying motivated.
Jennifer and Sarah have been wonderful ladies to give you such wonderful words of wisdom and encouragement. Keep up the great work ladies!
Kerry

joank 08-05-2004 11:25 PM

Hello Hello!
I hope everyone is well. It has been a long week!

Jennifer, Sarah and Kerry! Thanks for the encouragement. It is easier to battle the bulge when you have a cheering section!

Sarah- fit day was going well and then I just started to journal down on paper what i have been eating and excercising instead of using fit day. My computer crashed so it was difficult for me to get to one to log in to it. Either way, it has been good. Anytime i ate something bad, i felt embarassed to even write it down! :p so, it stopped me from eating bad stuff. I am keeping things below 1500 calories, usually.

I am so thankful for ya'll.
have a great weekend!
joan

lessofsarahtolove 08-05-2004 11:30 PM

Hello Jennifer and Joan and everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by teapotdynamo
Probably not the right place to post this, but I LOVE 100. So many inspiring, intelligent women! It's really helped me out a lot so far, especially when I've gotten discouraged (darn those plateaus!). Where is the post from Gretchen/Tammy, by the way? I think I may have missed it!

Oh jeez, I'm so sorry! I totally thought that I had responded to this, but I guess I must have just thought it instead! :dizzy: Anyhoo, I'm SOOOOOO glad that you're enjoying it there. I love that forum. Obviously you click more with some people than with others, but I am just completely impressed with how supportive and kind the group is as a whole. They've been very good to me since I started in March. As for where they posted their welcomes, I want to say in last week's weekly weigh-in thread. There was a small delay, but it wasn't that long after your initial weigh-in there that they followed up. You were out of town then, as I recall.

I want you to know that I'm really glad you're there; you're a VERY welcome addition. You're smart, fun, cool, motivated, not excuse-oriented, and real. You are SO a keeper, Joey "The Nose!" ;)

lessofsarahtolove 08-07-2004 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joank
Hello Hello!
I hope everyone is well. It has been a long week!

Jennifer, Sarah and Kerry! Thanks for the encouragement. It is easier to battle the bulge when you have a cheering section!

Sarah- fit day was going well and then I just started to journal down on paper what i have been eating and excercising instead of using fit day. My computer crashed so it was difficult for me to get to one to log in to it. Either way, it has been good. Anytime i ate something bad, i felt embarassed to even write it down! :p so, it stopped me from eating bad stuff. I am keeping things below 1500 calories, usually.

I am so thankful for ya'll.
have a great weekend!
joan

Hey Joan, you know you posted this just as I was writing my last post, so I didn't realize that you'd come back yet! I just came here intending to holler for you and see if screaming your name would work in getting you to come back! I've been wondering how you're doing -- I'm really glad to hear that you're sticking with the logging (however it happens) and that you're still keeping your calories low and exercising. I'm really proud of you! I can't wait to hear more! I'm sorry to hear that your computer's been giving you such a hard time -- that really sucks! I hope you get it sorted out soon, and that in the meantime you're able to use access others to log on. Hope you're doing well!

Jennifer and everybody else, :wave: hope things are going great for you!

slimmingsi 08-08-2004 08:25 AM

they do say it takes 3 months for it to kick in fully and then it starts to drop off.

joank 08-18-2004 11:37 AM

Hi Everyone~
It has been a while. Since my computer died, it has been hard trying to find time at work to get on and post. I took a 'mental health day' today and I am home borrowing someones computer.
I hope everyone is doing well. I am hanging in there. No changes really. The scale says that i am anywhere from 188 to 191 on any given day. So, forget the scale! I am going to put that in the closet. I am going to keep pushing forward and see what happens.
I am going to treat myself tonight. I have been good for almost 3 months now and well, I want a break. So girls nite out to a bbq joint. I know, I know.... i will be paying for it later. But, since I am home, I am going to the gym and am going to do just a bit more so there is some balance somewhere.
Hope you are having a good week!
joan

Alissa Carpio 08-21-2004 10:15 AM

Hi Joan,

I can understand your frustration in not seeing the results you're looking for. It may seem like you're doing everything you can, but weight loss is about living smart, not hard. :)

You really have to keep track of what you're eating with a food log. This is the ONLY way you'll know what's going into your body, when, and in what amounts. You might be surprised once you write it down.

In regards to exercise, it is more important the intensity you are working out, not the frequency. Instead of just getting through that 45 minute cardio or weight session, concentrate on pushing your body to new limits during every workout. If your body isn't continually stressed beyond the point of comfort, it's not going to change its composition.

Hope this helps... hang in there.

Alissa

lessofsarahtolove 08-21-2004 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joank
Hi Everyone~
It has been a while. Since my computer died, it has been hard trying to find time at work to get on and post. I took a 'mental health day' today and I am home borrowing someones computer.
I hope everyone is doing well. I am hanging in there. No changes really. The scale says that i am anywhere from 188 to 191 on any given day. So, forget the scale! I am going to put that in the closet. I am going to keep pushing forward and see what happens.
I am going to treat myself tonight. I have been good for almost 3 months now and well, I want a break. So girls nite out to a bbq joint. I know, I know.... i will be paying for it later. But, since I am home, I am going to the gym and am going to do just a bit more so there is some balance somewhere.
Hope you are having a good week!
joan

Hey, Joan!! Nice to see you around again! I'm really glad to here that you're still at it and will contine to push forward. How are your clothes fitting these days? Have you tried cuting your calories a bit more or switching to HIIT cardio?

Best to you, and good luck with your computer!

joank 08-25-2004 11:08 PM

Hi Gang!
i am back on the world wide web. I had to buy a new computer and it took me a bit to figure out which one i wanted.
things are going ok. it has been mostly discouraging.
I called my doctor to get a check up to see if everything is ok. it isn't for another month so until then... i press on!
Sarah- clothes feel pretty much the same. I am feeling better (more energy) so that in itself is great!
I am still logging in my food and am able to keep it anywere from 1500 to 1700 calories. so, who knows. it is now 3 months and i am thankful that i haven't given up! the gym has become my second home. i give myself a big ole pat on the back for that!!!!!
thanks for all of your input! it has been comforting knowing that others are fighting along with me!
ciao!
joan