Long-distance walking?

• I posted this in the Buddy Up! forum, but I thought I'd post it here, too, because I know this forum covers a large area of the country (and Canada, Australia, Switzerland, the UK, Greece & who knows where else!).

Do any of you know of any clubs or groups for long-distance walkers? Kind of like marathons, except walking instead of running. For some reason, as a lilttle kid, I always had this fantasy of "running away from home," just walking for days and days and camping out at night, living off of as little $$ as possible (I think this stems from reading Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt). Now, since I've been going to the gym and walking both on the treadmill there and outside at home, this fantasy is beginning to resurface.

I really want to take a week or two off work and just set out, like Forrest Gump. Just walk until I reach the next town, one night in a hotel room to bathe and sleep on a mattress and be off again the next morning. Am I weird or what?

The only REAL reason for keeping me from doing it is concern for my safety. That's where the idea of a "walking group" comes in. If any of you know of a group that does this sort of thing would you let me know. If you think I'm wacked you can let me know that, too--I promise not to be offended!!

Cheryl
  • That sounds like a great idea! But I don't know of any long distance walking clubs or group at all. I've seen biking clubs that bike country sides and you go from Inn to Inn in Europe, followed by a van with your luggage, now there is something that would interest me.... I had thought of this a loooooooong time ago before kids...sigh... But I was never able to do it son is now 16....

It would be fun to start that type of group in your town if you can't find any near by...

Good luck!
  • I agree, what a brilliant idea. I’ve only just seen this post.

The UK has a long distance walking association (which organises events – not sure whether or how these involve overnight stops) and many other walking and rambling groups (umbrella body is the Ramblers' Association) which usually go out for the day. I shouldn’t be surprised if some members arrange longer walks themselves if they fancy it. Does Arkansas have walking groups like this? Might be worth getting in touch.

Yes, Ilene’s right about the biking in Europe and inn-to-inn arrangements. Or bed-and-breakfast to bed-and-breakfast. A distant bell rings about a similar idea for walkers. That could be good. Ilene: it's not too late!

Google it and good luck! Please let us know.

Silverbirch.
  • Hey Silver I KNOW it's not too late because I'm in better shape than ever, now it's a time and $$ factor, *sigh*....
  • I just read this post and I agree that it is a great idea. I can understand the feeling behind it because I have a similar mindset and had some of the same ideas as a child. I must admit I don't know how long I would last without stopping. I would certainly need several breaks a day. Let us know if you have any success in finding a group for this. And I certainly recommend that you take pepper spray for extra protection just in case, though you would surely be safer in a group.