3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cardio and Yoga (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/35425-cardio-yoga.html)

peach_linen 01-19-2004 04:06 PM

Cardio and Yoga

(Long time reader, first time poster.)

I have a question... I've been doing "Walk-Away-the-Pounds for Abs" as my cardio workout for about 4.5 months now and I want to start adding in some yoga (for my flexibility, strength, mind, and spirit). I have an A.M and P.M. yoga video, but my question is how and when to combine that with my daily cardio.

I want to do a little bit of both, cardio and yoga twice a day (morning and evening) but I'm not sure if this is a good idea, or if it is, in what order I should do them.

Is it better to do the yoga first to relax and warm you up and then do the cardio, or is it better to do the cardio (with its own warm-up) and then relax with the yoga? Or should I completely separate the two and simply do yoga when I get up and before bed and only do the cardio when I get home from work?

Any tips, hints, or advice?

jenicra 01-19-2004 05:03 PM

Doing cardio before strength training is good because it burns calories more proficiently, but yoga isn't necessarily strength training (could be if you were doing power yoga) so I would suggest doing it before as an enhanced stretching regiment.

peach_linen 01-20-2004 10:21 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it that way for a bit and let you know how it works out!

stef 01-20-2004 11:55 AM

I'll give you the opposite advice then! Mainly because the research available isn't conclusive. Both cardio and strength first have been reported as better!

My personal choice is strength then cardio - I am lazy about the strength work, but I do a good warm up!

If your yoga is more stretch than power it is probably good to use it as an after cardio routine. I would not recomend it before if unless you really take care to warm up properly. Cold muscles stretch really badly and get injured more easily - think of taffy pulling with warmed taffy, then again with cold taffy and you'll get my point - ouch!!

But try it out. The calorie burning difference isn't enough to worry about unless you are an elite athlete. The most important thing is that you find a way that you enjoy, as you are more likely to continue if you enjoy it. That is why I teach classes - I hate going to the gym to work out for myself, but I love teaching a variety of classes, so I do!

ellenuw 01-20-2004 06:01 PM

I vote for Yoga After Cardio

I recommend yoga after cardio. This is based on my personnel experience (no science to back it) now that I am a grand old pro, having taken two yoga classes. The instructor at my studio has compared a good yoga session to the feelings you get after a good massage. I'm not quite there yet (maybe that comes after the third session), but I do feel quite relaxed and mellow after my yoga classes, and a cardio sessoin would rob me of the relaxation effects of all that work. Just my 2 cents - I do enjoy both, and my Curves workouts 3 days a week.

peach_linen 01-21-2004 08:39 AM

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I've only been doing a small yoga workout each day and trying to concentrate on how I feel during and after and doing the same thing when I do my cardio. The problem is, after a longer cardio workout, I'm hyped on the adrenaline and ready to go do stuff--anything--as long as I can stay active. So I'm not sure if doing yoga right after is really a way to go.

I think I'm going to try it this way: 15 minute cardio (1-mile WATP) in the morning, followed by full yoga; longer cardio (2- or 3-miles WATP) when I get home from work and then longer evening yoga right before bed.

I think this will give me the balance of what I need and I won't lose the rush after the longer cardio routines. And also, if I'm lucky, the yoga in the morning after the cardio will relax me so I'm not so rushed and frantic trying to get out the door for work (I'm not a morning gal). But we'll see!

Thanks again for all your suggestions! I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

ellenuw 01-21-2004 02:24 PM

This sounds like a good plan. Will you try it for a week to ten days and report back? I am thinking of adding additional workout sessions, and want to hear what works best for you.

Thanks - Ellen

Missy Walz 01-22-2004 04:10 PM

Peach-Linen,

Hi, There is a DVD called by Denise Austin called Fat-blasting Yoga: 21 Days to a Yoga Body. It combines Yoga and cardio together. I own it and I like it a lot.

In the video Denise guides you though aerobic vinyasa Yoga. It might be beneficial to you since I see that you have been steadily working out. It's very invigorating and it definitely gives you a great workout. And it isn't difficult to do at all. If I can do it anyone can.. believe me.

You can get it at Best Buy.

Good luck to you!

peach_linen 01-23-2004 09:07 AM

Postponed

Hey gang, I have to postpone trying my plan for doing cardio and yoga until Monday. See, I've had a blood clot in my lower right leg since the end of December and apparently, there will be occasional pain issues throughout the course of my treatment. One such flare-up has been yesterday and today, so the doctor told me to just take it easy for a couple days. But he said I should be fine to get back into the exercise and yoga routine on Monday.

So, next week, I'll try my plan for five days and let you guys know how it works out.

Also, Missy, thanks for the suggestions on the more intense yoga workouts, but right now, I think I need the slow stretching, concentration and meditation of hatha yoga. I have the A.M./P.M. Yoga for Beginner's videos that I'm using and they work just right for now. Likely, I'll alter that, but I want to see how this plan of combinbg cardio and yoga works first!

I'll keep you all updated!

(I'm also hoping the hatha yoga can help ease some of the stress I've had from dealing with this blood clot thing.)