Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 03:56 PM   #1  

Default Best "The Firm" tape for weight training/toning?

I'm doing the WATP 2 and 3 mile tapes along with beginner Pilates tapes and I'd like to incorporate in weight training as well. I have dumbbells but no other equipment at this time except for the Fanny Buster (I think that's what it's called). I'd heard good things about "The Firm" tapes and I'd love to hear your recs for a good weight training tape with minimal focus on cardio.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:28 PM   #2  

Hi Susan!

I have the Firm tapes and found they were beneficial for learning free weight (some) training before actually starting a body building program. However, the Firm gals use various size handweights throughout the routine and not dumbbells. You would have to stop the tape to change out your plates which IMO, takes too much time when doing that type routine. May I suggest you practice and then have a professional check your form before starting actual weight training. When you move up to heavier weights, it's too easy to hurt yourself if you're not doing it correctly.

I learned weight training from books and internet sites, like this one -

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

But I practiced for almost a month with lightly loaded barbell and dumbbells, and then went to my gym and had my form checked before loading on the plates.

Good Luck! Weight training done consistently brings fabulous results. Caution, you may have to eat differently in order to provide your muscles with enough protein for healing. (see the eating tab at the above website.)

dip
Old 01-31-2004, 10:43 PM   #3  

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate it. I thought "The Firm" tapes were a good way to get some resistance training in. I didn't realize that they change weights throughout the video. I have 10 pound and 12 pound dumbbells (no plates) only.

So maybe you can rec a good, basic weight training bench? Maybe Weider? I used to weight train years ago, maybe 10-12, and I loved the results. I'm beyond rusty though!

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:48 PM   #4  

Hi Susan - OK, what you have are handweights. Dumbbells are the pole thingies you load plates on to increase the weight. So if you go with the Firm, your 10 and 12's should do if you are using them already. You may want to consider going straight to weight training if you are.

I have two benches, a Weider and a DP. You need to go shopping for a bench for comfort, function as well as price range. You can buy used equipment through the classifieds in your area, garage sales, auctions, etc. without investing too much.

If you visit the Ladies Who Lift Forum, there are some wonderful stickies on how to get started, and a host of wonderful and experienced lifters that can answer your questions.

dip
Old 02-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #5  
Om shanti

The Firm can done with either the one-piece handweight dumbbells, or the adjustable-weight, single-handed dumbbells.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #6  
Peace with body and soul

The new Firm BSSS3 is being previewed and offered on www.collagevideo.com. You check it out there, along w/the new step.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:31 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemazrn
So maybe you can rec a good, basic weight training bench? Maybe Weider? !
I just got a Danskin weight bench after reading about it on another site. I'm VERY pleased with the purchase.

MM
Closed Thread