3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Fitness tape recommendations? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/34999-fitness-tape-recommendations.html)

LadyFay 01-12-2004 12:22 PM

Fitness tape recommendations?

I am really out of shape, and I would like to start off slow. Walking would be great, except that I have a bad ankle. I have a stepper that I am using, and one of those older push/pull machines (can't remember the name right now).

I was looking for a VHS or DVD that is simple to use, with little or no equiptment, starts off slow and gets results.

I have a Richard Simmons Video somewhere here that I have to dig up, anybody else that I should look at?

Thanks alot! :)

StarPrincess 01-12-2004 07:17 PM

I use the Winsor Pilates series and I love it!!! It's hard at first, but you can modify everything to your skill level. I've been amazed by how quickly my strength has increased.

Jenaya 01-13-2004 04:44 PM

Exercise videos

Hi there,

Good for you for getting back into exercise! You will feel so much better. The Denise Austin walk tapes may benefit you. Time Life also released some videos a few years ago called "Heart Healthy", "Stress Relief" and a few others. They were good because there was an educational component done by cardiologists explaining the benefits of exercise. These tapes are great because they are done by certified fitness instructors, they take target heart rate checks and they provide good instruction. You may be able to find those on ebay. Wal Mart has a good selection of tapes. Richard Simmonds is great in the beginning too. Kathy Smith is also a good choice, she also has explicit instruction on how to do the exercises safely. If you find any of the exercises are too tough and you are going outside you target heart rate or energy level, just pace yourself, keep the movements small and stop moving the upper body. I also like the old Jane Fonda step aerobics tape, but you would need a step for that one. It is a good workout. I understand the ankle, I have one with a pin in it and I have been able to use these tapes. If you are looking for weight training, Usana has a neat program and series of tapes. You can buy them from a distributor or get them on ebay.

I am a larger person and I have found these tapes can initially be modified and in no time at all you will be more fit and able to do the tape with no problems at all. I find some of the tapes far too easy now and I look for a challenge. They do always want you to check with your dr. first before beginning and that probably is a good idea if it has been awhile. Good luck to you and good for you for taking on a healthier lifestyle!!

Jenaya

Mindi 01-15-2004 01:59 PM

Leslie Sansome makes an excellent series of workouts that involve inside walking. You can start w/a mile and continue as your strength and endurance builds.

For all that is video fitness, check out http://www.videofitness.com/

LadyFay 01-15-2004 02:12 PM

Thank you for your recommendatons! :)

I took out the first Walk Away The Pounds Video from my local library as a 'try before I buy' sort of thing, and I really like it.

As I get more comfortable doing exercises I will look into the other tapes mentioned here.

Thanks again!! :)

buban 01-15-2004 02:30 PM

Hello,

I am new to the site and thought this was an area that I have some knowledge about and would like to share information on. I have been excercising for the past 17 weeks not missing a day. My goal this is to do this everyday for a year. I also have a short term goal to incorporate a pm training session 3-5 x per week.

While I have a bowflex, cardio glide and nordic track, I really enjoy using VHS tapes. I have many types from Yoga, Pilates, The Method, Balance Ball, Kathy Smith; Susan Powter, to Richard Simmons. Many in between, you may say that I collect them.

What I have found is that all these groups or types have very different methods. In selecting a tape it is important to understand what your trying to accomplish with them. Also, if you are new to excercising at home, you need to be realistic and well informed about the different levels of excercise in these tapes and what you are able to perform. Had I started with the METHOD, I would have not continued, since the performers all appear to be dancers and have a high energy pace making them hard to follow. Also, these tapes really help you develop listening skills. In order to learn many of the routines you have to pay attention..Which can also be discouraging if you are a beginner.

I am glad I started with Richard Simmons and step aerobics with Susan Powter. As both are fun and easy to learn steps. My first goal when I started was just to plan a time each day to do the workout. Then it was to do it everyday for a week. and so on and so forth where now, my morning is not complete until I do my workout.

It has given me an incredible energy level...Since I was very sedantary prior to working out. I was overweight, and sedantary and a smoker. Bad combo.

My second goal was to quit smoking and I have done that since Nov 11,2003. Now I am gaining some weight and need to work out a little more replacing it for smoking and eating....But that is another forum.

My routine is as follows: AM - Aerobics or weight lifting, PM aerobics and stretching.

If I can help anyone please don't hesitate to contact me.

StarPrincess 01-15-2004 04:20 PM

Just an update:

I've added in bellydancing (using the Goddess workout videos) now and it is so much fun! There's a definite workout involved. And as long as I'm alone, it has the bonus of making me feel very feminine and sexy.

Jenaya 01-15-2004 05:30 PM

Yes, I have been using a belly dancing tape too and I agree, it is an awesome workout (and, for me, one that must be done when I'm alone).

Formia 01-16-2004 10:56 PM

I loooooove the WATP tapes. I started last week with the first video. Tonight I went and got the DVD box set of all 3. Leslie Sansome is really great about telling you exactly what's going to happen. I feel like I never miss a beat. I did the 2 mile walk tonight and it felt good - I think I might be able to try the 3 mile one by next week. Yipppeee! :)

How does the Goddess workout measure up as far as good directions? I've been eyeing that one.

I like the New York City Ballet workout too, but the narrator guy is horrible about telling you what to do next. He says to watch the dancers, but it's hard when you are in positions that aren't facing the screen. Duh!

Joiseygoil 02-19-2004 10:48 PM

I actually like the Weight Watchers series. The advanced is really all that advanced, so I'm sure the beginners is doable by just about anybody.

Just tried Kathy Smith's Pilates for Abs, like her, too. I'll also try the suggestions here. Exercise tapes are a new world for me.

Jo_Pointer 02-20-2004 03:17 AM

I really like Susan Powter's videos--they give you a really good work out, are easy to follow and can be modified easily for any fitness level.

I also like the old WW videos with Aileen Sheron (late '90's), and *some* of Denise Austin's videos, but my favorite (believe it or not) is a Nutri-System tape from 1988--Body Breakthrough Level 3! I know all of the dialogue by heart, which I recite as I move, and I even bought extra copies of it on eBay in case something happens to my original! :lol:

LadyFay--great suggestion to borrow tapes from the library to see if you like them.

Buban--CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!

Jo :wave:

Sweetmel 03-05-2004 01:42 PM

I like the FIRM's tapes and the bellytwins bellydance tapes.