Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

Default Ball of foot blisters from walking.

At first I thought it was the shoes, but now the shoes that ate newer do it too. I am 389 and walked .5 a mile and had to stop because I could literally feel the blisters coming. Is this just a keep at it and toughen up butter cup... Or am I missing something?

Last edited by qtkitty; 11-13-2017 at 04:27 PM.
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

If shoes do not fit perfectly you can get blisters. Double socks help [thin liner sock plus thicker regular sock] Moleskin on blister prone areas helps. I have broken in multiple pairs of hiking boots with no blisters.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #3  

Default What brand of sneaker

Greetings, what brand of sneaker are you wearing? Also, consult someone at a sneaker store, like runners world. Not sure what's in your area. Glad you tried. That's wonderful and inspiring. I need to get out there.
TaMry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #4  

It may also be that more padded insoles with some cushion may help if the shoes fit well. Most shoes come with removable insoles that you can replace.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #5  

They are Avia Men's Capri Athletic Shoe (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Avia-Men-s...-Shoe/47726090)

I have two pair, so I think next time I will try changing my socks and shoes before going walking? Maybe because I had them on all day before I went walking they were damp and sticking? And tie them tight instead of them being loose enough that I can slip them off and on ( not that I would ever do that )

I wear somewhere between an 11-12 depending on the brand.. And in this area there is a Walmart or a shoe shoe ( which no longer carries size 12 ��), so often I end up wearing mens shoes. Traveling an hour to maybe find a pair of shoes drives me crazy and buying online you guys probably know how well that works. So right now I am pretty limited on getting a better shoe.

Last edited by qtkitty; 11-14-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #6  

Qtkitty, you are putting a lot of stress on your feet. I have badly damaged feet from not paying attention to proper support. And they ARE not cheap but if you mess up your feet, it is a lifetime of damage and you look to be younger. One option that is in the middle is New Balance who has a lot of good walking shoes and a number of different "lasts" to accommodate a wide variety of feet. I have wide feet and high arches and they were one of the few who would fit comfortably but mine are designed for walking, not running.

I would definitely get to a store that specializes with running shoes and have someone help fit you properly. One you know your size online works very well and most online sellers are very good with returns including free return shipping. Edit oh I know that 11-12 is hard to find because i wear 10s and they are a challenge. I think New Balance has some online sizing tools and I know zappos is great with returns because they want your business.

EDIT-well I am going to apologize - I know those are cheap shoes but they sure have good reviews. Most cheap shoes we have bought at Walmart have been cheaply made

Last edited by grannynancy; 11-15-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #7  

Grannynancy- I have noticed shoes anymore seem to fall apart quicker.. I would think it's my weight if my gram hadn't said the same thing to me last spring and she's teeny. She said she's lucky to get a season out of shoes anymore, when she used to get years and it doesn't seem to matter how much she spends they are all crappy. I was like that's a sad state of affairs!!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #8  

I get 6 months on the soles of my Birkenstock sandals. I have 3, rotate 2pair then take in for resoling and wear the third while the others are out of commission [Sandals don't make sense for most for walking but with some foot issues I have the Birkenstock footbed offers me GREAT support...they would not work for running and are not the greatest on dirt trails though] - I average about 30 miles a week. I really like the idea of having a shoe you can resole and these are the only ones like that.

The New Balance shoes have given me great wear. The one pair is 8 years old and I used to wear them every day walking for over a year. They are now relegated to being kayak shoes.

I have some LLBean Cresta hiking boots that are 10 years old! And I used them a lot but not on asphalt and they are nearly indestructible but a bit heavy. Have some new Keen boots that are great support and very lightweight.

I would think running puts more stress on a shoe than walking
Old 02-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/161/132

Height: 5'3

I think you need to size up. I usually buy walking/ running shoes at least a size or a size and a half up. I learned that the hard way years ago when I ended up with a black nail.

Every time I get new shoes, the shoe experts recommend to size up. As I always get blisters when I break in new shoes, even in the case of non-sports shoes, I am always cautious.

To avoid similar issues, I would buy an inexpensive previous year model for some sports shoes (I find Asics the best because they offer lots of cushioning) - you can get them online for around $60-80 but make sure you visit a sports store first to find out what kind of shoes you need (example: neutral or corrective shoes). Last year I used to walk to work 7.5 miles each way (14 miles daily, I know - it was crazy). The first time I did that I was wearing some sprinting light-sole Nike shoes and my feet hurt so much at the end of the day. Next day I wore my Asics Nimbus (with lots of cushioning) and it was a breeze.

You can also apply some cream on your feet beforehand and get socks that are not made of cotton (running socks are the best).

I hope this helps and good luck with your goals!
dani13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #10  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

qtkitty,

First off go to a shoe store that specializes in problem feet. They will get you the right size you need. If you don't want to spend the money on the shoes in the store you will have the correct size. Also are you getting wide, double wide or just regular fit?

I grew up with an uncle that was a cobbler he always said when standing up you should be able to put your whole thumb nail between the tip of the shoe and your toe. If you have less go up half a size if more go down half a size.

Also uncle said to change shoes every 3 months when heavier. They may look good but the inner soles are gone especially if you walk alot. (This is for people that weigh alot.) Was over 300 at one time so I know this to be true.

Also you should have a pair for exercise only. Another pair for everyday use.

I know how much your feet can hurt when shoe fit improperly.

I also like the DR. Scholl's inserts. The ones your step on the machine to get the right fit. Kind of expensive but does save on having to buy shoes so often. These will last me 6 months.

I hope some of this info can help you.
mam1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #11  

Amazing Convo here. thanks
iamwayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote