3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Any WALKERS with Arthritis & Foot Problems? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/314395-any-walkers-arthritis-foot-problems.html)

PopSugar 10-24-2017 07:13 PM

Any WALKERS with Arthritis & Foot Problems?

Hi!

So I'm a walker. I love it. Currently I'm walking 3.5-7 miles a day. I do it for physical, but also social and emotional reasons. I just feel better doing it. HOWEVER, now that I'm in my late 40's I'm experiencing some pretty severe (as in very swollen,painful, having to hold on to the wall when I first get up arthritis) arthritis in both ankles, as well as a bone spur and on-going blisters issues. It takes about a half a mile before the pain lessens and my feet loosen up...then the pain returns once I stop walking. I also have issues with blisters...actually I've always had blisters on the heals, but got a good pair of Asics and socks and that's gone. Now I have blisters on the bottom of my feet.

Everyone's first thought (as well as mine)? Find another form of exercise. But I have walking friends and I really do enjoy it! I like tracking my steps and calories burned, etc.

Are the any other walkers with arthritis and blister issues? What works for you? Certain shoes or socks or foot treatments? I'm trying to not feel discouraged, but I've been suffering with the arthritis for 5 months now. Ugh

grannynancy 10-24-2017 08:02 PM

I am 62 and have scar tissue and bone spurs from a fractured ankle, two sprains, and chronic peroneal tendonitis but walk every day. I don't have blister issues though. I wear birkenstocks with socks and they have served me very well; better than professional inserts designed by a pedorthist. [I have a high arch and my feet tend to suppinate which causes callouses on the 1st and 5th metatarsal heads of the bad foot, but I just work on those when they start to get thick]

I do have a prescription for a small amount of gabapentin for the pain and it works wonders. I would not have known to ask. I also wear compression socks religiously and those really help with pain and swelling. I just use light compression but when I am having an active walking day (more than 7-8 miles) I wear medium compression. A normal day is 4-7 miles.

I know for hiking, thin liner socks inside the heavier socks help. Blisters sounds like your shoes are not quite right in fit.

PopSugar 10-25-2017 11:48 AM

Wow! Your feet have a lot going on. Does your doctor thinks it's ok that you walk so much? I worry that I'm causing more damage and thats part of the reason why I'm really wanting to lose weight. I just need to lighten the load on my feet. Is the tendonitis near the back of the ankle? I feel like I have something else going on there in addition to arthritis. I've tried every kind of shoe and this combination is best so far. I probably need to research socks and see if theres something better. Thanks so much for the response!

grannynancy 10-25-2017 12:13 PM

My doctor is fine and I actually went to a PT who said the same. The damage to my feet is done and nothing can help it, so I just listen to the feet. You could look up peroneal tendonitis and see if it matches. The achilles can also be inflamed. Losing weight is helping.

The damage for me was caused by repeated strains and a fracture.

Ramzi 10-27-2017 10:28 PM

Holy grill 😜 thats alot of walk you do everyday. I never done that much was, your GB can tell you better what casing the footpain.

grannynancy 10-28-2017 12:02 AM

Ramzi. Everyone should be walking that much! 10,000 steps a day.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ness/99681306/

mackyeve 11-26-2018 08:53 PM

mine happens during cold weather and it hurts so bad

ketmarshal 04-08-2021 02:59 AM

I think that's too much for you. You may just need to take a break from this for a while

vishal ghatul 05-28-2021 02:36 AM

i have anthritis in back and neck ..mostly happens because of work .