Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #1  

Default about to start going to the gym. what should I expect?

I've never been to the gym before, and already I'm having questions. Where do I change? Do I take a shower there? Will there be employees walking around like in retail stores asking people if they need help? What if I suddenly feel self conscious and change my mind? Can I get a refund?
crayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/ticker/130

Height: 5'0''

Whatever gym you join should have a customer service person that walks you through many of these questions. When I joined my gym, they gave me a tour of the facility, talked about any classes that were included with membership, explained where you put your stuff and how the lock the lockers in the locker room. They should also explain to you how your membership contract works - which should address the refund thing.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your first day at the gym!
ZetaMD2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/see ticker/160 or less

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi and congrats on taking the initiative to join a gym! When I joined they did like Zeta said. They gave me a tour and answered any of my questions. My gym also has staff for personal training, which is an extra charge. I told them I didn't have the funds to sign up for personal training, but that I would like for someone, either a personal trainer or regular gym employee, to take me through the weight machines for a beginning strength training routine and beginner cardio workout. They did both and also calculated my target heart rate, so I know where I need to be for maximum fat burning.

Also, most gyms will allow for a free pass or a couple of them to try as a trial to see if you like it or not before committing to a full membership. The cost of membership varies widely by by the gym. I've seen some as low as $10 per month with no origination fee, with no pool, spa, fitness classes or sauna/stem room facility. My gym charges $30 per month and includes fitness classes (like Zumba, Spinning, Yoga, Pilates, Step, or traditional aerobics), free weights and machines for strength training, cardio machines, pool, showers/locker room, hot tub, sauna, steam room, and daycare. Also, it includes multi-gym access, so I'm not limited to one location and I think it even has out-of-state privileges with other gyms nationwide.

You should note that some gyms charge an origination fee to sign up, plus a monthly charge for use of the gym. You can often negotiate a waiver of the origination fee and even a lower monthly charge. So, you might try to strike a bargain. Sometimes, if you do automatic withdrawal, the price is lower. Also, the price may vary if you enroll month-to-month or do an annual commitment. They also discount the price sometimes if you pay your dues upfront, rather than as you go. So, there are a variety of ways to save money and all options should be fully explored and explained. And, again, shop for a bargain and let them know you are price-shopping with other gyms, as that might encourage them to make you a better deal.

Hope this information helps! I enjoy my membership a lot and use it frequently - more so, during the summer when it is too hot to exercise outside. Good luck with your healthy lifestyle and fitness goals!
Zoniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #4  

One more thing...I felt uncomfortable and self-conscious, too, at first. Then, I established a regular schedule of going and started seeing the same faces, started talking to people and actually began to look forward to going to get the mood/energy boost from working out, as well as the social aspect of seeing and socializing with people with common goals about eating and fitness. Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #5  

Well I signed up before reading this thread, they didn't give me a tour but that's fine. They did ask me to provide my bank account though, is that normal? For security reasons I'd rather use a credit card, but I don't think I could keep saying "oh I forgot, I'll have my account number next time" for the next twelve months.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #6  

Yes, most gyms allow either a credit/debit card to be on file or an automatic deduction from a bank account. Hope you enjoy it and get a lot out of it!
Old 12-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #7  

Well I've worked myself up from a treadmill to an elliptical machine.

I'd like to work my arm muscles but don't know where to start.

Last edited by crayola; 12-09-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Does your gym have trainers? You could make an appointment with a trainer who could go over the machines and weights with you and show you how to use them, make sure you're not doing something that would cause an injury.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote