Ex ultra runner starting again....

• Hello folks. I used to be here several years ago. My top weight was 110kg.

I started running and found C25K too hard, so adapted it.

I lost weight, did a 5km, then a 10km, then some half marathons, mountain trail races, a marathon and a 50km ultra. I have even given talks about running and weight loss.

Now I am scared, I am not running and the weight is creeping back up. Time for the line in the sand. Back to running. My dog and running partner has stitches in at the moment and can only walk until 30th April so I shall use this time to walk distances and get used to getting back out daily, with maybe some jogging at the weekend when I have more time. Then start running as soon as the dog is able to again.

I know we have some triathletes here....so much respect, I only run....and so I am sure there will be other trail runners too.

Also I am happy to help with people right at the beginning, struggling with starting out when overweight, and finding C25k challenging as I did back when I started.

I know what to do.....I just need to do it!
  • btw, where do you run?

I've been walking/running around my neighborhood and it is SO BORING. Wish there was something nice to look at.
  • Don't be scared. I run mostly 6 days out of 7. And I don't do it for the weightloss. The diet should take care of that.

Yes, running can help you lose. But if you get the diet right and don't run you should be able to maintain/lose easy.

Instead, I run for the joy of it. I run to reduce stress. I run to make me fitter. I run to make me feel awesome. I run to be with other people.

I do not run to fit in size 8 jeans.

And I certainly do not run to build muscle (running eats muscle).
  • Quote: btw, where do you run?

I've been walking/running around my neighborhood and it is SO BORING. Wish there was something nice to look at.
    I lucked out. I live on a beach ( well on a sandune actually! It would get wet actually on the beach...) I have a track along the estuary ( birds feeding at dawn) across the road at the end and back along the beach. That's 7 km. I'm walking it daily at the moment, with the dog who is not allowed to run.

Then I can extend it to the spit....10 km.

At the weekends we often (used to) drive to the hills to run trails.

The dogs stitches come out Thursday. It's the weekend now so I shall try to run both days, and a national holiday Monday so that's another chance. Then Tuesday, Wednesday walk.....Thursday walk to the vet and run home along the beach with the running dog!

Time to start my new life!