Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Couch to 5K questions

I've signed up for a 5K on June 21, and I would love to be able to actually run a majority of it. This will be my third 5K, but I've never actually completed the Couch to 5K program (even though I've started it several times...yes. I know. Hahah.)

Anyway. Here are a couple questions.

If I start doing the program inside, on a treadmill, is it okay to switch to outside once the snow melts and the pavement dries up? (Right now the weather here is not exactly conducive to running outside.)

And, is it okay to skip a couple weeks? I'd like to actually start on Week 3 instead of starting right back at the beginning. Has anyone done this, and if you have, did you find it more difficult than starting right at the beginning?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #2  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Regarding the treadmill, that should be fine to switch but be aware that running outside can be more difficult due to uneven terrain and elevation gains. I believe there's a different mechanism with propelling yourself forward vs. running sort of "in place" on the treadmill, but I forget the science of it. So yes, it's okay but be prepared for it to feel tougher outside and you may end up repeating some days if it's too big of a change. I realize it's quite cold where you are still, but try running outside as soon as you can.

The time I nearly finished C25K (I got on week 7 before distracted by other exercise endevors), I started in Week 3. I was reasonably fit from other exercise and had no issues with starting further in. This time I started with Week 1 because I want to proper finish the thing this time, but I don't think jumping in Week 3 is a problem unless your level of fitness isn't up to it.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I'm on Week 7 of Couch to 5K and never really ran before. I found the first few weeks REALLY easy, though, so I can imagine it would be fine to skip to Week 3 since you have experience. But if you have any trouble on that first day, just go back to Week 2 or Week 1!

Like atmos said, switching from treadmill to pavement will be difficult (learned my lesson on Sunday!) so just be prepared for that. I only managed about half of my C25K workout on my first outdoor run, so I think the transition is going to take a little longer than I had hoped for, but just plan ahead for it.

I waited until I was done with all the intervals before I switched to outside running, because I figured it would be easier to keep track . Seems to have been a good idea, because I had a hard enough time paying attention to my pace and not tripping and not running into anyone, without having to worry about when my next interval was. lol

Have fun
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #4  
Starting the Journey

S/C/G: 243.2/226.8/143.2

Height: 5'2''

I have done some or all of C25K in the past, but I started again at the beginning of March, after about six weeks of exercising following almost eight months off.

I started at Week 1, running on the treadmill. After two weeks, I transitioned outside (because I am travelling for work and want to explore the area). I have skipped a couple of days, but it has generally been pretty good.

Re: Keeping up with the intervals
I use the C25K Free app and it works beautifully. It chimes and vibrates at the beginning of each interval and tells you whether you should be running or walking. It also gives you coupons for things when you finish your workout...random, but it's a feature.

I hope this helps! Good luck and strong will!
ayrenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #5  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrenay View Post
Re: Keeping up with the intervals
I use the C25K Free app and it works beautifully. It chimes and vibrates at the beginning of each interval and tells you whether you should be running or walking. It also gives you coupons for things when you finish your workout...random, but it's a feature.

I hope this helps! Good luck and strong will!
Thanks for the tip! I've been using the Couch25K app from CoolRunning.com. I like having a voice prompt to nudge me along (and their "drill sergeant" trainer is great; he yells "BRAVO ZULU!" when you're done, hahaha). I also find that having a motivating playlist helps a lot too.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #6  
Starting the Journey

S/C/G: 243.2/226.8/143.2

Height: 5'2''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
Thanks for the tip! I've been using the Couch25K app from CoolRunning.com. I like having a voice prompt to nudge me along (and their "drill sergeant" trainer is great; he yells "BRAVO ZULU!" when you're done, hahaha). I also find that having a motivating playlist helps a lot too.
Haha, nice! I have traditionally been an enjoy my peace of mind and the world around me type of runner, but lately I have been using a magnificent Pandora station. It gets me pretty pumped!

Cheers to consistent forward momentum for the both of us!
ayrenay is offline   Reply With Quote