3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Bodyweight exercises every day? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/301811-bodyweight-exercises-every-day.html)

Palestrina 01-20-2015 07:38 AM

Bodyweight exercises every day?

Is it ok to do bodyweight exercises every day? Squats for example? When I work out with weights I like to space out my work outs with rest days for each muscle group and I assume the same applies to bodyweight exercises. Or is it ok to do squats/lunges/push ups/planks everyday?

Ilene 01-21-2015 08:26 AM

I just read THIS article and it says :
Quote:

Recovery in Training
Because body weight exercise can be just as challenging as weight training, muscle recovery is just as important. According to exercise scientist Len Kravitz, recovery time between workouts is necessary to remove metabolic byproducts, restore muscle pH, and return the body to pre-exercise levels. Failure to allow for adequate recovery can lead to muscle soreness and weakness, poor exercise performance, sleep disruptions, intestinal disorders and susceptibility to infections.
HTH :)

Palestrina 01-21-2015 09:30 AM

Great info thanks! That's what my instincts told me but I like to be sure.

IanG 01-21-2015 03:02 PM

I train most days with no ill effects.

I just listen to my body. On the mornings it says no, I listen and rest.

But 6 days out of 7 I will train.

Ilene 01-21-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanG (Post 5121145)
I train most days with no ill effects.

I just listen to my body. On the mornings it says no, I listen and rest.

But 6 days out of 7 I will train.

If you're doing splits and exercising different muscle groups that's fine, but the same muscle groups daily is not recommended as you make muscles when your muscle is resting...

IanG 01-21-2015 03:42 PM

I get good results training the same groups every day. I guess I am lucky and my diet helps with having a fast recovery time.

I do make sure I get a full 24 hours rest in between exercising the same groups however. I cannot go below that.

I find the big muscle groups recover fastest. So exercise that work these like running, squats, push ups, lunges, deadlifts and planks can be done most frequently.

Palestrina 01-23-2015 07:28 AM

I'm active every day, I walk every day, jog every other day, stay active throughout the day. I do chi gong, and body weight exercises and also work with free weights. When weather permits I go out and play tennis, I'm also a really busy Mom and I walk everywhere - school, groceries, errands, etc.

But I do enjoy the bodyweight exercises I just won't do them every day.

IanG 01-23-2015 04:45 PM

Yep, intuitive exercise is even more effective than intuitive eating imo.

ryanbrowning115 02-03-2015 06:23 PM

I say go for it! I like to do something everyday. That doesn't mean go all out everyday. Take it easy a couple days a week and listen to your body. I like doing a quick 10 minute workout in the morning to kick start my day (push ups, planks, squats, burpees) just to get my heart rate up!

nickilaughs 02-04-2015 04:39 PM

I range. I didn't give myself a complete day off for 10 days. Then finally took a day off. The next day i finally broke a 10 minute mile.
I do cardio almost everyday. (Even at work I'm running around).
Starting out I believe it's better to do less, especially at higher weight or else you can easily injure yourself and have set backs,
I do different weights every other day.
Mon wed fri: squats with weights, core exercises, still trying to get the hang of lunges.
Tue, Thursday sat I do push ups, chest presses arm weights
Every day prior to this I do 20 to 25 minutes of cardio. So when I'm doing weights my hr has already been in the burn zone and continues to stay there.
Good luck whatever you decide your program is!

Needtolose2 02-10-2015 03:47 PM

Every OTHER day, for sure. Your muscles need time to recover.

Violette_R 02-11-2015 12:27 PM

I've wondered about this, too. Conventional wisdom says don't do strength training for the same muscle group 2 days in a row ever EVER or your bottom will explode or something. :) But CW says a lot of stuff that's not true for everyone and I'm generally in favor of ignoring it in favor of what works for you. (E.g., eating small meals every 4 hours does NOT work for me.)

So for me, I guess I'll not worry too much about the body weight squats I do during breaks at work vis a vis when I work legs heavy at the gym.