Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/165/130

Height: 5' 5''

Default MMA Gyms

So just last week I started going to a local MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) gym.

This took a huge leap of faith on my part since I was insanely intimidated. But they offer a whole bunch of fitness classes and I wanted to try something new.

The one I'm going to offers group classes that allow you the freedom to work as hard as you want. No trainer screaming in your face (which is what I was afraid of). And to my surprise the classes are about 60% women. I felt a bit awkward the first couple of classes since I was in the worst shape out of the bunch. But after going a few times I definitely feel more comfortable.

Anyway, the great thing about these classes is that they are different. Not the same boring gym routine. And you have others around you who help push you and encourage you. Not to mention, the workouts will kick your booty.

If you have an MMA gym in your town I would highly suggest checking them out and seeing if they offer fitness classes!
TinyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I do ordinary boxing and it is definitely a good workout as well as a lot of fun. Most of my class are also women (most I would not want to pick a fight with).

These types of group exercises are great because they do three things which you often don't get from other workouts. First, they are really good workouts and help you cross-train if all you do are weights or cardio. Secondly, they are a lot of fun as the group is very supportive and (often) funny. Thirdly, boxing/martial arts is a good skill in its own right. Especially on a dark night.

I prioritize my boxing class over all of my other workouts. Which is not a small statement.

Last edited by IanG; 01-14-2015 at 08:25 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

TinyTiger,

What separates an MMA gym from a standard gym or MMA place? I understand that there are gyms/businesses that teach MMA - I always thought that those were exclusive though to lessons?

-Daniela
Daniela Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote