Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Exercise and Pregnancy

My husband and I are talking about starting a family - or trying to! - in about 4 months. I currently have a really vigorous exercise schedule and would hate, hate, hate to stop going. Not only do I love the exercise, but I work from home and the gym is really my only social outlet (relatively new in town)!

Here's what I do:

*Monday - Kettlebell/Cardio Intervals
*Tuesday - TRX
*Wednesday - Cardio/Weight Intervals
*Thursday - Boot Camp
*Friday - Cardio Spin and then Yoga

I max out my heart rate % each day. Can I get some advice, though, from pregnant or formerly pregnant women...can you still exercise vigorously while pregnant? I understand needing to modify later on because of a huge belly!

I'm currently 15 - 25 pounds from my goal weight, but I've struggled with an eating disorder that exercise helps me mentally keep at bay. I'm worried that if I stop exercising, I'll slide right back into it.

I don't know if it matters, but I've regularly exercised for years - this isn't a new routine.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited by Frances123; 01-13-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You'd have to talk to your doctor at the time...medical advice isn't something I want to give out.

That said, usually continuing the exercise that you feel well enough to do, so long as you stay cool enough, is no big deal. I was running and doing treadmill intervals well through pregnancy (I ran a 5k in a desperate attempt to run him out a few days before my due date, lol). Your body kind of tells you what you can and can't do.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I agree with mandalinn, this is not medical advice...and please see your doctor when you discover you are pregnant...

When I was pregnant years ago, 27 years ago... I exercised until the very last moment... I weight trained heavy, I walked a lot, the night he was born I walk a good bit... the doctor said that as long as was in good shape before I started and not starting anything new during pregnancy I was good to go...

Your body will tell you... the first 3 months and the last 3 can be very very very tiring, your body is adjusting... then, well, when the baby is born, there's another kind of tired ...

Listen to your body... before, during and after pregnancy....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the advice! I guess I should schedule a "pre-pregnancy" visit just to get checked out and get some clarification. I'm excited!
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I forgot to add...some kettlebell exercises are GREAT for your pelvic floor. That'll help keep things together for you post-baby (you know, not peeing when you cough, etc).

I lifted heavy during pregnancy too. I remember having to slowly increase the incline of my pushups, not because my arms couldn't do it, but because the belly was smacking the floor.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #6  

Hi!!Like others have said, you need to talk to your doc about getting the ok to exercise. Assuming you are not high risk, exercise is definitely doable!

I am 31 weeks 3 days and I ran up until a few days ago. I was having an issue with lower abdominal / cervical pain when I ran that only just started late last week. I tried to run through it a few times, but it got pretty bad. Its not a contraction, so I expect its just the weight of the baby pulling / stretching ligaments and hitting my cervix. The doc said no more running if I'm having pain, so I have been walking with the treadmill on an incline and I bought a bike trainer (turns my regular bike into an indoor bike).

I have to be honest, right now since I wasn't cross training, my thighs are really sore on the bike so its hard to go fast enough to get really good cardio workout. Yeah my heart rate is up a little, but I'm not feeling it the same at running. I figure a week or 2 and my thighs should adjust to the new exercise.

I've also been doing strength training, but modified. I work my arms, upper back and chest.

You can absolutely stay fit during pregnancy and you will be happier for it.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote