Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/158/137

Height: 5'5

Default The intimidating suits' gym next door...

Okay, so, I wanted to share this before it happens...

I had been a member of my old uni gym as I got a discount, but it takes me nearly 30 mins to get there, which isn't ideal for someone who'll come up with excuses to get out of doing exercise!

But there is a gym which is a one minute walk from me (I'm right in central London). It's one of those scary gyms, though, where everyone who goes in and out wears a nice suit and works in the city. I have never seen anyone remotely overweight going in or coming out, ever.

I have booked a free trial session with them today (I'm praying they don't have one of those compulsory fitness assessments and 'tailored workout plans' and will just let me slink onto a treadmill...)

Anyway, wish me luck.
Kitkat1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #2  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Good Luck...You can say no to the assessment and anything else you want to do...If they don't like it, they can't have your money....

I had the same issue with my gym where everyone seemed to be extra slim and beautiful...I decided I pay the same money and blah at them....

Good Luck
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Hi KitKat. Obsidianbbw gave you some good advice. And I agree, if you pay your money, conduct yourself respectfully, then it is your gym too. I never understood why the out of shape, overweight, and/or less than perfect were looked down upon by some when they go to the gym. The whole point of joining and going is to better your health, look and feel better, drop pounds, etc.

BTW, when you mentioned that you live in Central London, and were considering an upscale gym, it reminded me so much of Jane Green's Jemima J! Have you read it?

Good luck and refuse to be intimidated. We're for you!

http://www.amazon.com/Jemima-Novel-A.../dp/0767905180
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/158/137

Height: 5'5

Thanks for the support!

I went in (after a few hours procrastinating...). The staff were actually really friendly. The gym was a bit intimidating with loads of weird weight stuff that sweaty, stacked men were doing grunty things with. But it was ok... I stayed safely in the cardio zone.

The changing rooms had no privacy (glass shower cubicles!?!) so changing was a bit awkward, but I live so close next time I'll just walk home and shower.

So it was ok, signed up for a (ridiculously expensive!) membership, which apparently includes someone showing me how to do the weird grunty stuff in the weights section...

Ooh, thanks for the book recommendation! I haven't read it, but have been looking for something like this to read so will find a copy!

Kitkat
Kitkat1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #5  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

YAY...glad you joined....Not sure what you're plan is...but for me the thing I really love about my gym is the classes...it took a few tried to figure out what i liked and didn't like, but they were helpful..

Looking forward to updates.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat1990 View Post
Thanks for the support!

I went in (after a few hours procrastinating...). The staff were actually really friendly. The gym was a bit intimidating with loads of weird weight stuff that sweaty, stacked men were doing grunty things with. But it was ok... I stayed safely in the cardio zone.

The changing rooms had no privacy (glass shower cubicles!?!) so changing was a bit awkward, but I live so close next time I'll just walk home and shower.

So it was ok, signed up for a (ridiculously expensive!) membership, which apparently includes someone showing me how to do the weird grunty stuff in the weights section...
OMG, LMAO at your third sentence. Don't just stay in the safe cardio zone. Make yourself cross over to the weird grunty stuff. And I'm SO going to start calling it that myself whenever I cross over to THAT side of the room!
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

My "gym" is actually funded in part by our county and our city.

It is called a community center. Senior citizens dances, week day senior meals, several after school kids programs for latch key kids, adult volley ball, co ed basketball, yoga class, step class, Zumba, 2 different lunch time workout classes, t-ball and so on and so forth.

If I want to go lift, it's my only option.

I really like it, except for the fact that in the summer, it's way to full of silly high school football wanna be guys and over rated college boys, who spend way more time texting and fiddling around than working out.

My time is limited, when I run into these sillies, if they are farting around, I just go, Hey, while you're resting, I need that.

No one has ever said no! Lol.

I actually asked on guy to NOT unload his dead lift bar. Some high school kid. I proceeded to lift that and then add more to the bar!

Since I pay for this, I'm just as important as any other old, young, sweaty, whatever person that is also there.

We just need to be cooperative and courteous.

But one, muscle head, yeah, cute boy will be hearing from me. UNLOAD your bar! Lazy butt. If you can lift it, you can unload it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You're hilarious and I think you'll get a kick out of Jemima J. In fact I think I'll read that again since it's been like 10 yrs since I read it.

I know it's easier said than done to say to you "don't be intimidated" so instead I'll just say that you should ease into it at your own pace. You feel comfortable in the cardio zone? Ok, me too. While I did cardio I watched all the grunties on the machines and eventually I worked up enough nerve to go over to an empty machine and try it myself. Oh it's petrifying, what if I can't lift it? What if I can't find the lever to adjust the seat? What if I can't reach it? Trust me there's enough people around who are nice enough to show you how to do it and then after you use it once it's no longer a scary place. It suddenly becomes YOUR gym and some poor new girl will be afraid of you. And then you'll realize that it's silly to be afraid of the suits at the gym because you know from experience that they're just there to get their sweat on and have little energy to invest in making anyone else feel rotten.

Enjoy!!

Last edited by Palestrina; 08-13-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote