Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default start cardio & not losing weight

Is it normal to not lose weight when starting a vigorous cardio workout. I know it's normal to gain with weight lifting but what about cardio? I'm doing over 3 miles at 3.6 speed. I uped my calories a little since I workout 5x a week. I was eating 1200 & it wasn't enough. I feel sore so I'm prob gaining muscle. I upped my cals to 1400-1500. And 1300 on rest days.

I'd like some insight please thanks
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

how long has it been? And yes its normal. Your leg muscles are getting a workout from running, and it is normal for them to retain water while they get used to it. I'd give it a couple of weeks to even out.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Its also normal for your metabolism to start slowing down on a regime like this after a time. You are not eating enough.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Thanks ladies.!!

Pattience-I'm trying to eat more but I drink so much damn water lol.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

I don't know. When you first start doing exercise you do retain some water so some of it could be that.

You also need to figure out how many extra calories you are earning through your exercise and make sure that you don't eat all of them back (you may need to eat some of them though).

For example, today I walked 2.63 miles at 2.7 mph. This was actually counted in my Fitbit as very active minutes because I wasn't walking on a flat surface. I was walking in my hilly neighborhood. Anyway, I wore a heart rate monitor which estimated my calorie burn as 333 calories. But in that same time, had I been sitting at my desk I would have burned about 58 calories. So the walk burned an extra 275 calories above what I would earned being sedentary. If I do that 5 days a week then I've burned an extra 1375 calories which is an extra 196 calories a day on average. That is great, but it won't help my weight loss if I start eating an extra 200 calories a day.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 AM   #6  
It's more UP than Down!

S/C/G: 138 / 102 / 65 kg

Height: 169cm

And don't forget, it takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose just a single pound!
Sydney_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #7  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

Cardio usually won't lead to weight loss. Exercise is for fitness, diet is for weight loss.
You can do gentle exercise and lose weight rather than doing cardio ( which is great for the heart and fitness but on its own is not best for weight loss).
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #8  

How long have you been exercising? If you just started you're not going to notice anything for about 4 to 5 weeks. Make certain you're not over eating your workouts. Remember calories in versus calories burned.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I would double check your calorie count if I were you. At your height and height, the pounds should be falling off. Especially with the cardio added to the mix.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/154

Height: 5'7"

I've been doing low weight/high repetition weight training class (BodyPump) 2 days a week along with 2 days of cardio classes (alternating BodyCombat and BodyAttack) and 1 day of stretch/strength class (BodyFlow) - I have never gained from doing the weight classes. It's been 11 weeks so far and every week I've had a loss from 2-7 pounds. Like a few have mentioned, its the nutrition where the real work in losing weight happens. The workouts are just making me fitter and giving the calorie deficits in my diet a little boost, and I think the weight classes are helping me maintain more muscle which also helps burn calories more in the long run.
LesMillsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #11  

Default Weight Loss Tips

Fresh herbs can really zing a healthy meal. Try to grow a bit in the kitchen using a pot of strawberries. Preserve the flavor by adding fresh herbs at the end of the cooking process
Fast food is salty food . If salt intake is cut in a few weeks , will be better able to taste the natural salt in food and may not want to junk food as much as I used to.
The problem of ground turkey is dry. Add a little oil and finely mixed with a turkey burger or turkey meatballs onions to improve their juice.
If you are trying to lose weight with your partner , make meals together. Lunchbox surprises will keep both motivated.
If you are in a restaurant , make a salad appetizer . Most entries are fried and come with sauces or unhealthy .
Ingredients savory " umami " as fungi , low sodium soy , asparagus and olives can help you feel full and add a quality home ground are your healthy dishes - .
Make it a point to use measures whenever possible . Use the bathroom for a different floor at work, take the stairs to the bus station , the airport or the mall.
Try baking apple slices as a healthy alternative to potato chips .
The consumption of water-rich foods , such as melons , tomatoes and celery can help complete without adding too many calories to your day.
hebaa is offline   Reply With Quote