3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   I need some reassurance! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/293732-i-need-some-reassurance.html)

Silverfire 03-13-2014 01:31 PM

I need some reassurance!

The scale is STUCK STUCK STUCK. I've been bouncing up and down the same 5 lbs for what feels like an eternity.

I've started working out with a trainer and have been busting my butt in the gym pretty hard. I can feel the muscles building. I know full well that when you add in serious exercise and strength training that the scale will stall. I know that, I really do. But I can't help but be frustrated!! Yesterday at the gym I snapped a quick pic in the full length mirror in my skivvies to compare to a similar photo I took January last year. I was so relieved to actually see a change! I mean, I knew it was happening, and I could feel it and see it in my face and stuff... but seeing it in my body helped for sure.

But Still... How much longer will I have to wait for the scale to reflect the changes??? I don't really wanna be 250 lbs of muscle LOL

Someone please tell me I wont be stuck here forever!!!!

BigChiefHoho 03-14-2014 09:11 AM

How long have you been working with the trainer? It's not uncommon for your muscles to start massively retaining water for a couple weeks when you start doing something intense. Hopefully that effect will end soon and you'll start seeing some scale changes.

If I were you, I'd start taking monthly measurements so you can see whether your size is changing. If the measurements drop but the scale remains the same, you'll know it's just water or muscle masking the fat loss. If your measurements and the scale are both unchanged after another month or two, though, might be time to reevaluate the diet.

vealcalf2000 03-16-2014 12:19 PM

I've been stuck at the same weight for a few months. I recently added strength training to my routine. Don't get frustrated. Especially if you see a difference in yourself. LOL I'd be mortified if someone said "Geez Cristy, you look like you weigh 180 today" as opposed to someone saying "Geez Cristy, you look great today!" We put way too much emphasis on the scale! It's a measurement, a guide, and a tool, but it's NOT a measurement of success!

BTW initially I too was frustrated but the main thing is do not let yourself give up! Too many times when my scale wouldn't move we look at it as failure and go back to our old ways. I plan on eating and exercising this way for the rest of my life. Regardless of what the sale says I stay on track and try to keep motivated. Good luck to you!

Silverfire 03-17-2014 10:30 AM

Ahhh thanks guys. Totally makes me feel better knowing that I'm not totally alone in this frustration.

Today will be the 3rd (2nd OFFICIAL) trainer workout. We work together half hour on Mondays and I repeat the workouts twice more in the week.

And you're all right, measurements. I haven't taken measurements since January!

Thursday and Friday I was pleased to see the scale start downward again, but after a wedding weekend, it popped back up a bit again. Grr!

I know it's just a number, but that number is still so large, it's so hard not to focus on that! I do try to not let the scale roller coaster throw me off track completely, but it sometimes can make that little voice that says, "you don't need to cook, just order pizza!" A little louder and harder to ignore :)

nonameslob 03-17-2014 08:13 PM

Definitly start messuring like others suggested! I love seeing the numbers go down on the scale and easily get bummed when they don't. If the scales are stuck, I measure, and usually see a loss of inches. Very rewarding!

Keep up the awesome work and the pounds will soon follow no doubt!

Kscott 03-22-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverfire (Post 4962540)
The scale is STUCK STUCK STUCK. I've been bouncing up and down the same 5 lbs for what feels like an eternity.

I've started working out with a trainer and have been busting my butt in the gym pretty hard. I can feel the muscles building. I know full well that when you add in serious exercise and strength training that the scale will stall. I know that, I really do. But I can't help but be frustrated!! Yesterday at the gym I snapped a quick pic in the full length mirror in my skivvies to compare to a similar photo I took January last year. I was so relieved to actually see a change! I mean, I knew it was happening, and I could feel it and see it in my face and stuff... but seeing it in my body helped for sure.

But Still... How much longer will I have to wait for the scale to reflect the changes??? I don't really wanna be 250 lbs of muscle LOL

Someone please tell me I wont be stuck here forever!!!!

Everyone hits a plateau during weight loss-- and the scale seems to take forever to move again in the right direction. Trying mixing up your exercise routines a little by doing other things also--and it will get the scale unstuck. If you're using weights--try walking on a treadmill for a mile or so every other day--then speed it up when you feel comfortable.