3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   2014 - C25K - We're all runners! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/293291-2014-c25k-were-all-runners.html)

AwShucks 03-13-2014 09:42 AM

Hi Lilmiss! Sorry you've been sick! And, glad you're feeling better. Way to go in picking things back up where you left off! A cyclone! :eek: Stay safe!

I'll be moving on to the last run of W6 tomorrow. I listened ahead to my podcasts, and it's 25 minutes straight running! Argghhh! This intimidates me even more than 20 minutes. Not sure how it's going to go, but so glad I have this group to discuss things with!

PS The scale finally moved this morning! Hallelujah! Happy day!:carrot:

Magicsusan 03-14-2014 05:08 AM

:whoo: W2D3 :woohoo: Did it! :high:

Think I've finally got my app sorted too; you know how updates can sometimes do weird random stuff- turn on your bluetooth and stuff? I think it rearranged my settings so I got banners but no voice prompts...

Anyway, It wasn't that hard, and mentally, it might have even been easier because the longer the run chunks, the fewer there are of them, know what I mean? When I've done one, it's "oh, only five more" not eight or something. I am a bit pooped, though.

BTW, I'll be disappearing at the end of March for several weeks hols- might be able to log-in abroad and am hoping to be able to keep up with the runs enough that I at least don't have to back track...

BigChiefHoHo, I would not make it without breakfast. Even if it's just a banana and a glass of milk, I would much rather skip dinner! Hope you survived w2d3, see you in week three, lol :devil: :D

Lilmisschatabox, good gravy! A cyclone! Hope it all works out, timewise (that you get your run in somehow) and that none of your trees decide to spontaneously rearrange themselves!

Awshucks, how did your 25min run go? :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Might check in on you all (especially you, Chatabox!) over the weekend...

Monday: W3D1. Feel the fear. :fr::yikes::spid:

AwShucks 03-14-2014 10:24 PM

Hi everybody! Well, running 25 minutes did not kill me, I'm glad to say! Yes, it seems surreal to even type that! After the 5 minute walk, I just set an easy pace and kept at it. It did seem long, and a little boring -- but you have to consider that I'm just going round and round an indoor track (running around basketball courts!) I wish I had the confidence to run outside because the weather has been really lovely lately. I think I just need to prove to myself that I can do the program "my way" (on the track - with very few spectators) before I take things public - know what I mean?

However, every time I'm asked to do more, I can do it. That's just the greatest feeling! I hope all of you are feeling it, too. I've never been an athlete so to know without a shadow of a doubt that what I am doing is making a difference in my body is just so satisfying.

I don't run again until Monday, and I have no idea what comes next. I choose to be surprised by W7! Happy running everyone! And, thanks for letting us know you'll be gone for a while, MagicSusan -- We might've thought that you ran right off one of those lovely Swiss mountaintops! PS: I know just what you mean about the mental aspect. Fewer but longer runs seem a little easier, even though you're running for the same total time frame. It must be one of the little "tricks" they put in to keep us progressing to the next level.

Tafadhali 03-15-2014 11:44 AM

Hope y'all don't mind a newbie jumping in.

I have started posting a little over at MFP but the support is ho hum. I'm doing c25k for the second time after a long recovery from a major injury. The last time I started I was in much, much better shape. I'd been doing months of hard core cardio and weight training. This time, I skipped all that (so sick of mindless indoor cardio and weight DVDs. I live too rural for going to the gym to be doable). I did walk a ton and do some cardio prep. Just not as much.

Anyway, the coolest thing about this go round is that my 13 year old son is running with me! It's so nice to have a running partner, especially one I don't have to feel embarrassed about huffing and puffing in front of.

We have finished w5d2. The big 20 min run is looming!! My kiddo was feeling under the weather so I did w5d2 by myself once and then again with him. When I did it alone I felt so awesome after the second 8 min run I walked the cool down then decided to just run. Ran a little over .80 of a mile straight. Not sure of the time, my timer tweaked out me. When my son and I did w5d2 together, if felt easier the second time. Still nervous about the 20 min run, but I think we'll be able to do it.

Before my injury (I was hit by a truck out on a run) I was running 3-4.5 mile runs a few times a week and loving it. I hope I can get back to that!!

I'm excited to find an active thread with other folks working their way through the program.

AwShucks 03-15-2014 12:11 PM

Hi Tafadhali! So sorry to hear about your injury. I live in Houston, and running on the streets has me fearful for just the same scenario. People in vehicles just don't want to share the roads! It's amazing that you've recovered enough to want to run again. Yay for you! And, it must be fun to have a buddy to experience this with that's on the same level - such a good example for your son, too!

You and I are on about the same level. I just finished W6. Don't be afraid of the 20 minutes. You can do it! It's just amazing how the program works. I've had to prove to myself that I can run - didn't really believe that the C25K would work for someone overweight. I have mistakenly believed all my life that all runners were tall, lean people who must be 'lighter than air'. So much for that! :)

Keep us posted on your progress. I think just hearing everyone's experiences helps. I really don't know what my reactions/experiences to/of running should be - this is new territory! It's great to know that it's just as intimidating, as well as thrilling to all of you, too!

BigChiefHoho 03-15-2014 08:05 PM

Finished w2d3 yesterday, and I'm feeling more-or-less ready for week three. I'm thinking that I might do the distance option instead of the time option (I mean, "run 1/4 mile then walk 1/4 mile" instead of "run 3 minutes then walk 3 minutes" or whatever it is), since I'm doing it on the treadmill and can see exactly how far I've gone. That'll make me run for longer, which is scary, but I think it might prepare me better for my 5k at the end of next month. Anybody else try doing it that way?

magicsusan - I'm with you about the pre-workout food! I think it WAS the lack of food that made me feel so puny for w2d2, because I made sure to have a banana before doing w2d3 and I felt a lot stronger. Good luck with week 3!

Congrats on the 25 minutes, AwShucks! I know what you mean about running with spectators... On the occasions when I run outside, I walk almost forty minutes to get to a secluded trail so no one can see me run. I don't mind exercising in front of people at the gym, because we're all in it together there, y'know? But I'm really nervous about running in front of non-working-out people.

Welcome, Tafadhali! I'm doing this for the second time too. Last time I did it, it worked great and I got to running 3-5 miles three or four days a week. It was awesome. But then I moved and got busy and got pregnant again, so here I am doing it for the second time.

lilmisschattabox 03-16-2014 03:59 AM

Survived the cyclone!! It wasn't too bad, I think it was downgraded before it got to us, but a lot of rain and wind.

Started W5D1 today. Luckily the weather cleared up so I could squeeze a run in. But it was soooo humid after the cyclone that I really felt like I struggled more with the run. I'm going to repeat D1 on Tuesday, then I'm going to finish out W5 and see how I go. Bit nervous about the 20 mins!!

Hi Tafadhali!!

Elladorine 03-17-2014 12:38 AM

I started C25K last year, made it through week 3, then found out I was pregnant. I was considered high risk so my doc said no to anything high-impact. I'm three months postpartum now (with a beautiful little boy) and decided to start C25K all over again on March 5th. The first two days went great, but the third? Not so much. I was just starting to get a cold and decided to push through it. I'm not sure if it made me any sicker but it certainly didn't help . . . the cold hit me hard! The hubby had to stay home from work a couple of days to take care of the little one so I could rest. The congestion's mostly gone now so I decided to start completely over again tonight, figuring I can jump into week 2 when I feel ready.

Tonight went pretty well and I'm feeling pretty good. I was so determined to run my first 5k last year, but now I'm hoping for this summer! I absolutely hated running when I was a kid and had no idea I'd be so set on accomplishing anything like this now that I'm in my late 30's. :lol: Anyway, I wanted someplace to stay accountable and also wanted to say hi to my fellow runners. :wave: I'm using the C25K Free app on my iPhone and am working on some new playlists. :D

Magicsusan 03-17-2014 05:23 AM

Ha! Well, I may regret saying this, but w3d1 wasn't too bad. Again, I think part of it is that even though the runs are longer (1.5, 2.5, 2.5, 1.5) there are only four of them, so it's not so hard to push through. Also, the 2.5 min of walkies between the two long running periods seemed really long. I kept thinking, can I run now? Is it time to run again? :broc: I therefore award myself the dancing broccoli and hope it doesn't turn out to be premature when I collapse on Friday :D

25 minutes! :bravo: Lol on the mountaintops, Awshucks. Alas, it does happen from time to time, but I am not too near the alps, though I can (in clear weather) see them from my patch of forest... I'm not leaving for another two weeks- I'm interested to see how the running goes on holiday- lower elevation, more humidity... hmmm...

:welcome2: Tafadhali! 3FC has made a big difference to me- I also hang in the 40+ thread as well. I only started posting in this thread a few weeks back when I decided it was time to run. Good luck on taking up the running again, but since you're already on week five, it sounds as if you're doing very well :lol: Anway, about prepping: I went for a walk (about 5k, about 100m elevation change) several times a week for months before I started running. Then I ran the first two weeks in a figure eight in my living/dining room and after that started over with w1d1 outside, since real terrain is harder to negotiate than hardwood floors :D Sounds to me as if you were certainly adequately prepared!

BigChiefHoHo, sounds like a good idea, the distance vs time thing for your particular goal. For me, it doesn't matter so much, and since I've finally got my recalcitrant app to work properly, I'll just stick to that. When (if) I finish (survive) the app, I will still have a few things to work on. Where I am jogging right now is pretty flat- not running up any big hills. So I was thinking of going back a couple of weeks and incorporating hills, but I really won't know till I get there how best to proceed. The other thing is improving speed. Susan<:snail: :joker:

Lilmisschattabox, glad to see you haven't been transformed into a human kite :D I'm curious to see how the humidity will effect me as well!

Hello Elladorine! Congrats :bb: and welcome! I also never reckoned myself a runner- but I find myself enjoying it now because I don't have to compete with anyone but myself. I'm using 5krunner.

Hello to everyone else, see you all on Wednesday!

BigChiefHoho 03-17-2014 12:43 PM

Just got back from the gym, and w3d1 is done! You were totally right, magicsusan - only having four runs makes it feel a lot easier even though they're longer. I'm feeling really good now. I did the distance option, and it worked out to just slightly longer on the runs and a lot longer on the walks (like 5 minutes for the longest walks), so I think it actually made it easier this time, but I looked ahead to next week and I think it'll work out to be quite a bit harder then. We'll see how it goes.

Elladorine - Hi! Congrats on your baby (I creeped through your signature link and he's ADORABLE)! I've got a new one too; she just turned two months old on Saturday. So we're kinda in the same postpartum boat. :)

Elladorine 03-17-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicsusan (Post 4964749)
Hello Elladorine! Congrats :bb: and welcome! I also never reckoned myself a runner- but I find myself enjoying it now because I don't have to compete with anyone but myself. I'm using 5krunner.

Thank you! :) Yeah, it definitely helps to compete only with myself, to be able to go at my own pace and do everything on my terms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefHoho (Post 4965026)
Elladorine - Hi! Congrats on your baby (I creeped through your signature link and he's ADORABLE)! I've got a new one too; she just turned two months old on Saturday. So we're kinda in the same postpartum boat. :)

Aw, thank you! :) That must be your little girl in your avatar? Such a cutie!!! :^: Is she your first or do you have more? I'm still new with this whole mommy thing, lol.

I'm still a little under the weather so I'm ecstatic that last night went without a hitch. And I'm still annoyed I got so sick when I had just barely started, but what can ya do? But it's why I'm not pushing myself to get on with week 2 just yet. We'll see how I feel tomorrow night!

A little backstory on myself: starting on March 5th was very symbolic for me; I was at the end of a massive regain at the end of 2011 when I found out I was pregnant. I was terrified! Although I'd already lost quite a bit, stress had hit me hard throughout the summer and fall so I was about 25 pounds up. I was exhausted, cranky, overwhelmed, could no longer even bend over . . . how I was I going to be able to handle being pregnant and taking care of a baby in my condition? :( I felt even worse for even thinking such things when I had the miscarriage in mid-January. :( I knew I had to take control of my health again, so I sat down and had some long talks with myself. I'd always wanted to be a mom and knew I had to change my priorities if I ever wanted it to happen. I read some books, wrote out some plans and ideas, and gave myself time to mourn. And for whatever reason, I chose March 5th, 2012 as my "reboot" date and promised myself that was the point of no return. When the date arrived, I was ready with a journal to start recording my meals and activity. I worked my butt off! By my first anniversary, I'd lost over 50 pounds, giving me a total of 150 lost since my highest weight and putting me at my lowest weight since junior high! (I was already 250 pounds by the time I was 14 years old and until recently, had never gotten anywhere under 220). I had just started C25K around then, and had just signed up for the gym to get use out of the pool.

It was less than a month later that I found out I was pregnant again. :preg: I was ready this time! I felt strong and capable and had already been taking great care of my body for a year. So although I had to cut the running, I continued to walk and at least had the pool. I continued to take care of myself in addition to the growing baby, keeping up with my health journal and doing my best to make great choices. :)

The little one arrived in mid-December, and after discussing things with my doctors and getting over the hurdle of PPD, I felt that restarting C25K on March 5th was perfect. Not only was it the second anniversary of my health reboot, it was the day my little guy turned 12 weeks old. About 2 weeks before I decided to do a test run, and found I was able to do a quarter mile non-stop (albeit slowly, lol). That got me extra excited! Way back when I was at my highest weight of 360, I could barely walk from one side of the room to the other! I'm so proud that I've come such a long way and can't wait to finish this program!!!

Being able to run is amazing. :) It makes me feel strong and capable of anything!

Tafadhali 03-17-2014 06:47 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the warm welcomes! Wow, so much nicer than MFP. Yay!! I love that so many of us are in the same boat starting and restarting this program. Post babies, post life, etc. It always feels good to know there are people who understand what you're going through when you set a new challenge for yourself.

Well, the kiddo and I finished week5day3 today. 20 minute run really wasn't a problem, of course we're slow as can be. Covered just under 1.5 miles. We did it though and lived to tell the tale.

My peroneal tendons in my left leg are giving my fits. I fractured my left ankle about a year ago and it's been grumpy ever since. From my 5th metatarsal up the side of my calf where the peroneals run was really ouchy for almost my whole jog this morning. Not sharp pain, but very crampy tight.

I'm trying to formulate a plan to keep full blown tendonitis from setting in. This morning we did a cardio warmup (from Fitnessblender), then stretched, then the 5 min walking warmup that's part of C25K. I still felt really, really tight. I'd guess it took the better part of a mile for my muscles/tendons to warm up and relax because only the last bit of my jog was relatively pain free. Very frustrating!! I bought some KT tape today, I have a foam roller. I don't know what else to do to get my legs warmed up better though. I feel better later into runs. The first mile always sucks, but it's sucking more than it should.

Other than that, I felt great! Ha! Don't sweat week 5 y'all. By the time you reach it you'll be ready. The 20 minute run wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. If my darn tendons would relax, it'd actually be enjoyable.

AwShucks 03-17-2014 10:01 PM

Tafadhali, Is the injury you're dealing with part of the running accident that happened to you? Ugh! It's just a shame that even happened! Honestly, you must be one strong lady to have come through that and still want to run. God bless you! I don't think I've ever had the kind of feeling in my tendons that you describe, but as I was reading it, I wondered if massage would help. Then, you said you had a foam roller, and with the right angle, that would be a good massage. Is there a physical therapist you could ask for advice?

MagicSusan & LilMiss - I live in high humidity every day. We get only a handful of dry days a year (my hair loves those days!). I'll be interested to see how the humidity affects you. It seems normal to me. lol

Hi Elladorine! You can run along with us! You and BigChiefHoHo might need jogging strollers!

Silverfire & Rated, are y'all OK? Just checking...;)

Tonight I did W7D1 -- it's a straight 25 minutes again. It wasn't that difficult, surprisingly. The first 5 minutes were probably the hardest , but I kept a steady pace, so that I didn't really sweat and I could turn up the speed when she said I only had 1 minute to go. So, I'm really starting to think that I'm running too slowly. But, then, I guess this is where you make those adjustments and go onward and upward, right? I've been happy just to finish so far, and I've kept the pace slow to avoid crashing before the finish line. Tonight I did just over 15 laps in 25 minutes. I need to do the math to see if I increased my speed from when I did W5D3. It seemed faster tonight...well see.

Happy running folks!:D

Rated 03-18-2014 01:13 AM

AwShucks I am still here. I am visiting my family out of town right now so I have skipped a few running days I hope to get back on track tomorrow since my dad plugged the treadmill in for me today.

It is good to read about how everyone else is still doing and see posts from some new people :)

And congrats on 25 min straight you are my inspiration.

AwShucks 03-18-2014 09:28 AM

Aww shucks, Rated. I don't think I've ever been anyone's inspiration -- at least not athletically! Thanks! That means a lot to me!
I did a little math (just a little - I get confused!:dizzy:) I think I'm running just under 2 miles in 30 minutes -- no where near 5K! Gosh, that's eye opening! I'm not going to let it get to me, but once I "finish" the program, I'll have lots of work to do before I actually get to a distance of 5K. Those of you that are covering the distance program, what's your experience in time?
Concerning fact: On My Fitness Pal, in the exercise reporting section, the lowest speed to choose for running/jogging is over 5mph. Duh! It'll be a while before I hit that.