2014 - C25K - We're all runners!

You're on Page 12 of 28
Go to
  • Hi everyone- another update from the road. The easy flatness of the beach is long gone and we are in hilly country now and I am feeling it. I am running longer and longer (did w7d1- 20 min!) but feel like I'm going slower and slower. When I'm back on my home turf I will use map my run and see how far I am actually going- c23k? Lol.

Well done BigChiefHoHo, you are ahead of me for the moment bc we had such an early start mon I had to run tues. (I just saw you were posting about week six- were you ill for a week? I am so out of the loop. Looking forward to catching up properly this weekend!)
    Hugs and stuff to you all (get better, Eladorine, sounds as if you are!) and wish me luck because I fear the scale when I get home I have gone mad with the Dounts, but thanks to check-ins with you all, have kept up with the running!

Two more American runs to go...
  • Yeah, I'm a week behind schedule, Magicsusan. We're putting in a new garden, so I was outside a bunch of days swinging a pickaxe (in heavy Georgia clay, ugh) and that had me too exhausted to run. Finished it this weekend, though, so I'm back to working out as scheduled! (totally impressed with you, btw, for keeping up with your running schedule while on vacation - that's some willpower!)

I did w6d2 last night, and it went alright. Two 1-mile intervals, which works out to about 12 minutes each at my pace. I felt like I was gonna die for the first quarter mile or so of each one, but they got easier as I kept running. I think I'm learning a lot about mental toughness this time around. Just because I'm tired or just because my legs hurt doesn't mean I need to stop running. My legs will keep moving as long as my brain tells them to, so I just need to 'woman up' and push through it. And I can, and I did. I think I'm a lot tougher than I was six weeks ago.
  • This morning I did Week 1 day 2! But I did it on a treadmill. Its so much easier that way! I didnt even feel like I was going to die when I was done! haha.
  • W4D1 completed. Once a week seems to be working just fine!
  • Did w6d3 last night. I got to go outside for the first time in a week, which was really nice. The wisteria is out, and the sun was setting, and it was just all around pretty. The run wasn't too bad, either. It was supposed to be 2 1/4 miles, but I don't have a GPS watch or anything yet, so I decided to run for 27 minutes, which would be 2 1/4 miles at a speed of 5mph. I'm pretty sure I ran slower than that, so I didn't quite go the whole distance, but I DID run my 27 minutes and then a little extra (just to make it to the end of the road), so I'm pleased with it.

mb2004 - I used to always find the treadmill to be a lot easier, too! For some reason, though, lately it's been harder than running outside. I think maybe because I go slower outside where the treadmill forces me to keep running faster.
  • W7d2.

So slooooooooow. I did it, but did use my Map My Run to discover that I am not even going 2.5k in my 20 minutes.

Meh.
  • Thanks Magicsusan, I am getting better! I hope it'll be completely gone in a few more days. Oh, and I'm willing to bet that I run more slowly than you do.

I did W5D1 Tuesday night, and will do W5D2 tonight. Although I kind of want to nap instead (I'm so worn out, lol).
  • Quote: Finished the program last week! I can run over 30 minutes but 5 km is still the goal.
    Me too, no shoes. I'm kind of bummed that I'm finished. The fun is in completing those individual goals. I'm running around 2 miles in my 30 minutes. I know I need to step it up. Does anyone know of an app that I can program for distance? I'd love to just run and have a bell notify me at 1mile, 2miles and then finish at 3miles. I could just run 33 times around my track, but.... oh, the monotony!

Yay for completing the race, Tafadahli!

magicsusan You are amazing to have kept running on vacation! Way to go!

Bigchiefhoho Making a garden is a worthy reason for not running, as well as a good workout! I envy you the fresh produce you'll have this summer. Nothing better.

Planning to get some running accomplished during this long weekend. Happy Easter to all!
  • I'm hoping it works out, AwShucks! I am not exactly known for my green thumb. Hopefully we'll get at least a few things worth eating.

Just got back from w7d1 this morning. I did 2.5 miles in 30 minutes, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I also just ordered myself a Garmin FR70 watch as a running present, so I'm super excited to run outside with it and see just how slow I'm going.
  • I graduated today!!!

Still need to work on my speed, I'm only running 2 1/4 miles in 30 min, but that's still a lot better than where I was when I started.

What is everyone planning to do after graduation? 10k? Or sticking with 5k and working on speed/distance?

I know I can run 3 miles in 39 min so I may go ahead and start 10k training...
  • Congrats, justrunning! I've been doing a bit of research, and apparently you're supposed to work up to running 30-35 miles a week before you really start doing speed workouts, so that's my plan. I'll try to build up the mileage slowly (10% increase each week is the rule, I guess), then when I get there, start incorporating some speedwork. I'm not sure if I'll use bridge-to-10k to work on the mileage or not, though.

How does everybody feel about graduates sticking around on this thread to keep us up-to-date? justrunning is done, I'm almost done, magicsusan is almost done, and a couple other people. Should we hang out here to talk about our future running, or start another 'C25K Graduates' thread?
  • Quote: Congrats, justrunning! I've been doing a bit of research, and apparently you're supposed to work up to running 30-35 miles a week before you really start doing speed workouts, so that's my plan. I'll try to build up the mileage slowly (10% increase each week is the rule, I guess), then when I get there, start incorporating some speedwork. I'm not sure if I'll use bridge-to-10k to work on the mileage or not, though.

How does everybody feel about graduates sticking around on this thread to keep us up-to-date? justrunning is done, I'm almost done, magicsusan is almost done, and a couple other people. Should we hang out here to talk about our future running, or start another 'C25K Graduates' thread?
    Thank you for the information! I need to form a plan I may start running more days a week first and then try to slowly increase speed
  • I ended up doing W5D2 last night instead of the night before; I think I ate something that didn't agree with me at dinner! Regardless, I was so proud of myself last night. I peeked at what I'll be doing tomorrow night, and it's a 20-minute run already?!
  • Hey Y'all,

Happy to see everyone running still! Yay! I swear, it's addictive.

So, my weekly plan now that C25K is done is to run 30 minutes 2x a week (however far that gets us), then 3.19 miles (no time limit) as my long run. After 2-3 weeks of that, we're going to launch into training for a 10k. The 30 min runs are feeling pretty easy now. Can't believe it! Running 3.19 miles still feels like work towards the end (we averaged 12.12 min miles today, oh yes, smokin' fast we are NOT! But, that's faster than we used to be). I'm so happy my son is still running with me too, it's so fun having a running partner.

I found this training plan for running a 10K:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/assets/_leg.../10knovice.pdf
    I love that it emphasis cross training and weights (both important for injury prevention as you add running miles). We're cycling a few days a week and doing weights. I tell ya, I'm sore head to toe but it feels awesome.

Anyway, I think the Hal Higdon plan will tie in well with where my son and I are currently at with our running. Especially after another week (maybe two) of easy 30 min runs and a 5k as our long run. I'm planning to repeat each week of the 10k plan at least twice. The kid and I are gearing up for a (hopefully) faster 5k this fall and our first 10k. Yep, the running bug has hit us hard! We have lots of time to work up to the 10k so we're gonna take it slow, hopefully avoid injury and have fun. Shedding extra pounds has been a nice side benefit for me too.

Anyway, thought some of you who are also finished/ finishing C25K might like to share you continued running plans. Any goals? Races? Fun cross training ideas that coordinate with running? What's in your running future? I think it's awesome that so many of you are sticking to the program and still running. Woot! We are awesome!!
  • I know I'm a graduate, but...
    The whole time I was doing C25K, I was running on a treadmill. It was taking me 39 min to run 3 miles (13 min mile)....well, today I ran outside for the first time on the local high school track and used the Nike+ app to track my pace and time....3 miles in 28 min 19 sec

I know I ran at a faster pace outside, but on the treadmill I felt if I went any faster I would fall off

My first mile my pace was 9'25", second mile was my slowest/hardest as I was getting winded around a mile and a half 10'39" and my final mile my pace was 10'03". The app put me at an avg pace of 9'32" I was stoked and surprised. A 10 min mile has been my goal from the start but I never thought I would actually achieve it. I didn't think I would run any faster outside, slower if anything.

Super proud that I ran it all without walking