3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   How long until you saw results? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/293050-how-long-until-you-saw-results.html)

KGreene2014 02-22-2014 07:03 PM

How long until you saw results?

I started exercising yesterday and I am just curious to know how long it took other to start to see results in weight and inches! :)

IanG 02-22-2014 09:05 PM

I noticed an increase in weight loss immediately (day one) when coupled with my low calorie diet (I lost my first 60 pounds with no extra exercise, just diet, and hit the gym at 220lbs). Inches took a little longer (a month?) and now (10 months) I am gaining muscle inches and muscle weight. So it has been a funny journey. But it is also an individual one so your results may vary.

My advice is to focus on how you look and feel with exercise. Less on the scale, it can play tricks because of water and muscle gain. And remember that weight loss is more about diet (80%) than exercise (20%). Diet makes you look good with your clothes on. Exercise with your clothes off.

To gain real muscle, I did have to eventually eat more though. I'm a guy, so it matters, but a lot of my initial running and weight training was burning fat and muscle. Once I upped the calories a little and the protein a lot, I noticed increases in strength and muscle gains. But the scale is going up as well....

So good luck. And do what feels good and works for you.

At your weight, exercise will turbo charge weight loss if, and only if, you get your diet right.

hhm6 02-24-2014 12:24 AM

IanG-

I just noticed your weightloss ticker, and 100+ lb loss!! That is amazing!! How long did it take you to notice your weightloss? Like clothes getting looser/face slimming?

I've dropped 25 but haven't gone down a size or anything :(, but I'm a girl so I don't know if that makes a difference, and short ugh.

I'm being SO impatient with weightloss this time around but it's nice to see people see results fast!!

yoyoma 02-24-2014 06:32 AM

KGreene - I recently stepped up my exercise massively due to a pedometer challenge at work. I have to warn you that the first week the scale went UP. When you exercise more than usual, your muscles hold more water as they recover. Even people who exercise regularly (esp weight lifting) will notice that they bump up a little on the scale the next morning. But after the first week, I did notice an increase in the rate at which I was losing weight. Of course, if you eat more because you are exercising, your weight loss can stall.

In general, it is more effective to focus on your diet if your main goal is to lose weight. But exercise has many other benefits and can help some people lose weight if they keep an eye on diet too.

caldawg89 02-24-2014 06:45 AM

Hi OP! I have been on my journey for almost a month now, and already, my whole outlook is changing. I joined here wanting to lose weight, but now, it has almost come second to me feeling good. I exercise 6 days a week;3 days at the gym, 3 days doing pilates at home, and one day of rest. Even though it has only been just over 3 weeks, I feel amazing. I have lost a little weight, I am not sure how much exactly, as my friend and I are only weighing in once a month, but my clothes are looser, and I have gone down a cup size, so I must be doing something right! I guess what I am trying to say is looking good should come second to feeling good. Exercising and eating healthy have so many benefits, and when I first joined 3FC, I wanted the quickest, easiest weightloss program I could go on, so I could see results quickly with minimal effort. Now I have learnt the role diet plays, and how you can use it to help or hinder your weightloss. I would still love to lose weight, and I need to, and I am hoping it will happen (in its own time), but to me, feeling the way I do now is more important to me than seeing a reduction on the scale. My skin has cleared, my GI tract is problem free, I am sleeping better, I never go hungry even when sticking to 1300 calories a day and my energy levels are higher now than they have ever been. Go slowly, straighten out your diet and set small and achievable goals, and stay focussed, and you will see results quicker than you think :) Please, please keep us all posted!

seagirl 02-24-2014 06:56 AM

I never lose weight from exercise, but my body composition changes. I find the biggest and fastest change is that my quads become more pronounced (I hike so that is not surprising.) Also, my butt shrunk which is the place I least need to lose weight. Scale is the same, but I had to get all my work pants taken in.
With doing some simple arm exercises with 15 pound dumbbells my arms get nice definition in not too much time, but that will depend on how much fat you have covering the muscle.
Stretching every night and morning makes a difference in how I feel and how I sleep.

KGreene2014 02-24-2014 07:46 AM

Thanks for all the great answers! I will continue to exercise and eat healthy and hope for the best! It's all I can do! :)

Palestrina 02-24-2014 08:39 AM

If you're relying on exercise solely to lose weight then probably it will be a while. I don't exercise to lose weight, I exercise to increase strength, flexibility, muscle tone, reduce stress, avoid chronic injury, and to increase my stamina and energy. The saying goes "Fitness happens in your sneakers, but weightloss starts in the kitchen."

Maurene 02-24-2014 03:06 PM

Although exercise alone might not help you shed pounds quickly, I do find that when I exercise regularly my eating habits improve - even if I'm not following a particular diet.

AliMarie91011 02-24-2014 05:16 PM

Everyone's body is different. For me, I've found that no matter how healthy I eat or the number of calories, I still do not lose weight unless I exercise. I started noticing weight loss results almost immediately. I only take my measurements once a month, but you will definitely start to see results soon. Keep up the hard work!

Waterbunny77 03-01-2014 05:07 AM

Last year when I walked I never noticed any additional weight loss at all but I know it was making my body healthier. No doubt toning up also. This year I gotta wait for the awful weather to get better and the ice to remove itself from the sidewalks :cry::mad: