3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   sedentary beginners (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/288829-sedentary-beginners.html)

Palestrina 10-22-2013 10:32 AM

Nobody is annoyed. We've given the best advice we possibly can under the circumstances. Only you know yourself. If you think you can handle more than 5min of exercise then do so. Build up slowly and trust yourself. You don't need permission from anyone (including a doctor) to get up and get moving. Go at your own pace and push yourself little by little.

kaplods 10-22-2013 04:40 PM

If I were annoyed, I would telly you so, or I would simply have chosen not to write a second post. Instead, I took the time and effort to clarify my advice. And because of my current health and pain issues, I just don't bother with people who annoy or stress me.

My repeated attempts to clarify my advice were motivated by respect and a desire to help, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Good luck and best wishes with however you choose to proceed.

VioletDolphin83 10-23-2013 04:09 AM

It seems to be a misunderstanding. Sorry about that. I took on some of the advice and ideas in this thread. I'm sticking to a comfortable amount of exercise, which seems to be 11 minutes and have bought a pedometer. Thanks for the advice! :)

Palestrina 10-23-2013 08:08 AM

A pedometer is great! It helps me think of every step as being important, not just while I exercise but for the whole day. Everyday when I put on my pedometer it switches me on to active-mode and I shoot for 10,000 steps a day.

VioletDolphin83 10-24-2013 06:34 AM

It will be a long time until I get to 10,000 steps a day, lol. Still figuring out how this one works.

kaplods 10-24-2013 09:57 AM

When I started, I couldn't even stand for 5 minutes. I did clip a pedometer to my shoe, through the laces (a tip from a friend, after I complained that I kept losing pedometers and forgetting to clip them on).

I set myself the goal every day of walking more steps than the day before.

At first, my steps were in the hundreds. Every morning, I would write the step total for the day before on the calendar for that day. At the end of the week, I'd write the week's total on the calendar. At the end of the month, I'd write the month's total.

I got out of the habit, but I think I'm going to start that up again.

VioletDolphin83 10-25-2013 10:01 PM

Clipping the pedometer to my shoe is a good idea. I'm having trouble getting it to detect my steps when it is clipped to my waist band so hopefully it will work better there. It seems like I average about 900 - 1000 steps a day, which isn't much but I've noticed it can vary a lot from day to day. Using a calendar for step totals is a good idea! :)

Lolo70 10-25-2013 10:32 PM

I started with 30-day shred by Jillian Michaels. It is about 30 min/day 6x per week. I was totally out of shape and had heart problems. The first couple of days I was almost passing out after 10 min. But I liked JMs style and continued. The results came fast and I still find her exercises produce amazingly efficient results. I downloaded a couple of more moderate and easygoing exercises before moving on to JM, but found I needed to be challenged. I also liked how fast my stamina improved and inches melted away. I think working out on a regular basis will help both with weight loss motivation and depression issues. You just have to find something that you like.

Palestrina 10-26-2013 10:17 AM

I clip the pedometer to my bra strap or to my jacket pocket when I work out. When I'm out and about shopping or whatever it's usually in my purse and it's very accurate.

VioletDolphin83 10-27-2013 10:25 PM

Mine doesn't count steps when I have shoes on. Maybe I have it on the wrong setting or something. I wish it had come with instructions.

kaplods 10-27-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VioletDolphin83 (Post 4871496)
Mine doesn't count steps when I have shoes on. Maybe I have it on the wrong setting or something. I wish it had come with instructions.

Try checking online for instructions, using your brand name in your search.

A bit off topic, but I have found the cheapest models are usually the easiest to use. They tend to be a little less accurate, but I figure their easier instructions make up for it. For me, if I can't remember how to reset or change settings on a pedometer, I'm less likely to use it.

I tend to favor the $3-$4 models from Walmart, Target, and Fleet Farm/Farm & Fleet.

VioletDolphin83 10-29-2013 11:26 PM

I got a cheap pedometer ($3) about a year back. I decided to try it out after your post. I must admit, in some ways the cheaper ones are better. It's really easy to figure out how to use and I didn't have to enter in any info. I attached it to my sock or shoe, whatever I was wearing at the time and tried it out for the day. I ended up doing over 3200 steps. I didn't have any problem with wearing shoes with this one. I've also got a treadmill I've been using. So everything seems to be going good now.