Zumba lovers, any idea on calories burned?

• I just started back into Zumba tonight after probably 1-2 years of not doing it. I was hurting towards the end, but loved it! I use myfitnesspal to keep up with my calories and I usually put in exercise calories just to give me an idea of where I'm at for the day. Does anyone who has a heart rate monitor know about how many calories an hour of zumba burns? MFP says it burns about 700 calories per hour, which seems crazy to me! I mean, I felt like I was going to die at the end, but that doesn't seem too accurate. I definitely don't want to overestimate calories burned. I know part of it is dependent on weight/height/etc., but any kind of estimate would be great. Thanks!
  • Quote: I just started back into Zumba tonight after probably 1-2 years of not doing it. I was hurting towards the end, but loved it! I use myfitnesspal to keep up with my calories and I usually put in exercise calories just to give me an idea of where I'm at for the day. Does anyone who has a heart rate monitor know about how many calories an hour of zumba burns? MFP says it burns about 700 calories per hour, which seems crazy to me! I mean, I felt like I was going to die at the end, but that doesn't seem too accurate. I definitely don't want to overestimate calories burned. I know part of it is dependent on weight/height/etc., but any kind of estimate would be great. Thanks!
    Jazzercise is a lot like Zumba--except we go to weights--bands--balls and floor exercises for the last 15-20 minutes of class--and we burn 600 calories in an hour.

But--regardless--it really depends on how hard the individual works out during class. I have seen many that are working out hard--they come out of class dripping with sweat--and 600 calories is believable. But I have also seen some come out of class--that looked like they just walked in ha.ha.--and obviously they were moving--but not really working out hard--so I am certain they didn't get close to a 600 calorie burn.

So

• haha well, I definitely did NOT look cute at the end of the workout, so I think I worked pretty hard! I still ended up putting a 45 minute workout into myfitnesspal vs. the whole 60 minutes just to be safe. It came out to about 530 calories, which I think is more accurate. Thanks for the info!!
  • I have been doing Zumba for over a year. When I started I weighed 225 and I am currently 170. I'm also 5'. I use a heart rate monitor and when I first started I easily burned between 500-600 according to my heart rate monitor. Now that I am in much better shape (I exercise 6-7 times a week both cardio and weight) and have lost weight I have to work really hard in Zumba to get over 500 calories. That is my goal. So if you are doing high intensity, I think between 500-600 is a pretty good number.

I can tell you I have never burned 700 calories and that is why I got a HRM, because I didn't trust MFP.

Hope this helps!
  • I have one Zumba instructor that said a 60 minutes class burns 700 calories. I have another instructor that said it burns 500-600 calories. My own wrist band said it's about 500 calories.
  • Quote: I have one Zumba instructor that said a 60 minutes class burns 700 calories. I have another instructor that said it burns 500-600 calories. My own wrist band said it's about 500 calories.

500 to 600 calories an hour burned is a great work-out.
  • I err on the conservative side and count it as 400 calories (WW activity point 4) for a person my size. Regardless, it's one solid hour of good exercise. Good stuff.
  • This post is kinda old but I'll reply anyway.
    My weight is around 190 and per my heart rate monitor I burn between 700-900 for a 50 minute workout. Some moves I go all out on and some I do low impact, but I always keep moving.
  • Hi PhillyGirl
  • Quote: Hi PhillyGirl
    Hey Lady! I wondered if you were still on here. I don't think I've been on here this entire year. How are you?
  • I'm good. Back on the posts for a week or so. Went back to work in April & my health is doing a backslide. Long commute + desk =
    looking back, I was really feeling great with those Pilates classes and lots of walking. Now my abs and I have parted company & I'm in search of reunion !!! The great thing is now I'm focusing on how I feel and not a number on the scale, because I still weighed a lot when I was feeling good eating well and moving. If I keep it slow and steady I WILL win this race .

So glad we 'ran into' each other again. See you in Just do it
  • I'm so glad I found this post! My Fitness Pal tells me I am burning 1100 calories every hour of Zumba. I think that's bull, honestly. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who isn't trusting that.
  • T my peak performance, I was burning 800 cals per class. Usual is in the 600 zone.
  • Been logging an hour as 600 calories but I just ordered a heart rate monitor to help get a better idea.