Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/213.8/150

Height: 5'7

Default Bike Riding

With Spring right around the corner (at least I hope but Illinois is crazy when it comes to weather- snow today... 50 degrees tomorrow. Gotta love Illinois!) is anybody else excited to start bike riding???

We have a paved path that goes through several towns just one mile from our house and I can't wait to hit it!

My question is... do any of you have suggestions on a new bike? I haven't owned one in a while, but really want to start riding again with my boyfriend. He already has one Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Skinnygirldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you are going to ride with your boyfriend, I'd suggest getting a similar style. Does he have a road bike or a hybrid? I'd suggest finding a bike shop and looking around. Brand doesn't matter as much as fit.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #3  

I believe his is mountain bike type. I'll have to ask him. haha. It's hanging in the garage. We have been talking about bike riding this spring all winter. I just can't wait to want to be outside all day again!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #4  

Can't even tell you how excited I am to ride a bike this year, I haven't ridden one in easily 13 years. Is it true you never forget how??

I bought a new bike at the end of last summer, I was still over 300lbs. After hauling the bike home on a new rack, I read the manual. Weight limit was 300lbs. Never told my husband I exceeded the limits on it...just pretended I wasn't ready yet. Imagine if I popped the tires the first time I rode it?

First warm day around here, I will be surely be buzzing around town! I just might need training wheels again!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

I love riding my bike but I didn't choose a great style for my area so that's something I really advise you to do. Shop around, ask the sales people. I have a Trek Clyde which is an absolute MONSTER of a cruiser bicycle and it's got 7 speeds which is unusual. I love coaster brakes but it can be difficult to stop on a dime with them unless you're super comfortable with them. 7 speeds is still not quite enough to help me get up some of the hills in my hometown and the cruiser-style makes it difficult to transition to standing and pedaling. If you're thinking of light trails, I would recommend a more casual sport bike than a cruiser or road bike.

I too am really excited for the warmer, drier weather so I can get out and bike! I've lost about 30+lbs since I cycled last so I'm excited to see if it's any easier. I used to get winded just going around my block!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #6  

Elvislover- First of all....Way to go on losing an amazing amount of weight! Secondly... I may be 30... but I love elvis! his music and movies haha.

I'm super excited to ride! There is a farmers market that opens this summer one town over..I want to ride over and get some yummy fresh produce this summer.

I hope that it's true that you don't forget how to ride a bike. It hasn't been twelve years for me but it has been at least 5 I'm trying to figure out if we can ride with the dogs without killing ourselves lol
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #7  

Skelling- thanks for the advice. I'll do a little research. I don't think my town has any actual bike shops because it is a very small town, but my parents town does, and it's only about 45 minutes away so maybe I can talk to them and get an idea.

On a side note. I'm glad I am not the only one looking forward to riding!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnygirldreams View Post
Elvislover- First of all....Way to go on losing an amazing amount of weight! Secondly... I may be 30... but I love elvis! his music and movies haha.

I'm super excited to ride! There is a farmers market that opens this summer one town over..I want to ride over and get some yummy fresh produce this summer.

I hope that it's true that you don't forget how to ride a bike. It hasn't been twelve years for me but it has been at least 5 I'm trying to figure out if we can ride with the dogs without killing ourselves lol
Thank you very much, skinnygirldreams! And....Elvis is my dog, not Elvis Presley lololololol!!!

Bike riding plus a farmer's market is pure heaven in my brain at the moment. Can't wait for the warmer weather to get here!!

Too bad I can't put Elvis in a basket, he's 40lbs!! Maybe I can get him one of the baby trailers and hook him on!!

This thread made me so excited, thank you for starting it!!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #9  

Elvislover- too funny! What kind of dog is he. We have 3... a collie, a cockerspaniel/chow mix, and a border collie/australian cattle dog mix. I have seen dogs in those bike trailer things before. wouldnt be a first! lol.
And your welcome. It was snowing here today, but tomorrow is going to be 50, so I know warmer weather is on the way! We are going to disney in May and we were thinking about bringing bikes down with us, because we are staying at the fort wilderness campground (love that place). It'd be nice to ride around and it is huge (not that we wont be getting our exercise walking around the parks and swimming at the water park and pool). I'm so excited.
My goal is to lose 20 more lbs by then (May 18th).
Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #10  

He's a puggle but more beagle than pug, which makes him a supersized one! He's so smart and cute and funny, he makes my day every single day. I'd be lost without him. His beagle nose would never allow him to sit and chill in a trailer, he needs to smell EVERYTHING! He's got a nickname, Smelvis! Because of that smelling nose LOL!

Florida sounds so fun!! You can definitely lose 20lbs in the next 2 months!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #11  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I wish I could start bike riding but my big butt always get so sore after riding even with a bigger and softer seat. Though that was when I was 230lbs and over so it may be different now that I am 170 and below. I would feel more comfortable riding than walking since there are a lot of dogs with no fenced yards running around.

I have to look for a new bike since I sold mine a couple years ago. I have no idea where to start, haha.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #12  

I had a beagle/hound mix growing up. Loved that dog. He looked just like a beagle but taller.
I feel the same way about my dogs. Specifically my collie Sophie (she has been with me through thick and thin for 4 years.) The Chow mix is my boyfriends, and the Border Collie mix is a new aquisition for us in the last month (long story... we were going to foster for 3 months but now are keeping due to circumstances). They are all sweet hearts. Sophie and I just have that bond. I know you know what I am talking about
Smelvis! haha Sophie has a long snozz that makes her want to sniff everything as she mianders back to the door after being let out. lol My nephew says she looks like an anteater hahaha
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #13  

Same here amandie- Thats why I started this thread! I haven't owned a bike in some time, and when I did it was just to get me to and from friends houses when I was younger, and then to collect dust as I got older! haha. Time to ride again
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mountain bikes are meant for rugged terrain and unless you want to do mountain biking specifically vs path riding, I'd look into a hybrid. You can do some rougher terrain with a hybrid but it is good for paths as well. A road bike (what I have) is good for smooth paths and roads. I've taken it on gravel before but not really recommended.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #15  

thanks
jibobo is offline   Reply With Quote