Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Surprise surprise, I'm an athlete?

Eureka moment, I think I've realized I'm an athlete. I'm a fitness fanatic! Sure sure, I'm 200lbs and can barely do anything but my heart is set on so many physical goals!

Growing up I wasn't athletic. I was picked last on teams, walked the mile without even trying to run, hated sports, hated cheerleaders, yadda yadda. During my whole 20's I never got on a scale. I had a few half hearted attemps to join a gym and never really cared much for it. I wasn't an outdoor person, the thought of running outside where people could see me scared me, the thought of just walking as exercise made feel like an old person. Spandex terrified me. I would skip out on hiking trips or camping with my friends because it "wasn't my thing." I don't know how much I weighed when I got married, my guess based on pictures I was about 185lb.

After I got married I started to see a therapist to address my eating disorder. As I started to understand more about myself I started to work out little by little. I started to like how I felt after I exercised. I was walking, dabbling in running, I started playing tennis and hiking. I'm not very good at any of these things, I just love doing them. I can remember going on a very tough 10mi hike through a beautiful canyon and it was so tough I thought I was going to die. I could barely walk from soreness for the next several days. I was so slow I was probably the last person out of the park that night. My husband immediately crossed it off his bucket list and said "i'm never doing this again." and all I could think to myself is "I'm coming back here!"

Even just walking through the park pushing a stroller in the morning I feel so connected to the runners/bikers/tennis players. I get inspired on Sunday morning when I go out to the track or ride my bike and see other people. So many of us out there, doing something physically challenging, physically exhilirating I can't help but feel like I'm part of a special club while everyone else is sleeping in nursing a hangover.

I still have a long way to go, I'm not nearly in good enough shape to do a 5k yet and my eating is far from perfect. But it's getting there!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I know what you mean. I am so addicted to exercise that I find things to make myself ache. I LOVE that pain! Kudos to you!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations, you athlete, you! It is a nice surprise, finding that athlete inside! Enjoy it!

P.S. I think you can do a 5k at pretty much any weight. I'm looking at pics and I was in the 190s when I did my first years ago, and I did walk/run intervals and had a FANTASTIC time. If you *want* to do one, DO IT. But don't hold back because you think you can't or shouldn't!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Congratulations, you athlete, you! It is a nice surprise, finding that athlete inside! Enjoy it!

P.S. I think you can do a 5k at pretty much any weight. I'm looking at pics and I was in the 190s when I did my first years ago, and I did walk/run intervals and had a FANTASTIC time. If you *want* to do one, DO IT. But don't hold back because you think you can't or shouldn't!
Oh I know! And lots of 3FCers have done it! I'm only waiting until my physical therapist gives me the go-ahead. I have an injury that needs to get better soon.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #5  

Very well stated--and it meant so much for you to say it to others. Keep going--you are an athlete--because you certainly have the attitude of one.

Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

I'm so thrilled for you wannabe, I LOVED reading this post because it describes perfectly how I have been feeling lately. I'm still over 200lbs, and am not the best at any type of physical activity, but it's as though something has been awakened in me that was long ago shut down by the taunts and jeering of middle school athletics. I know exactly what you mean when you say you see people out running or being active and feel like a part of the club...AND WE ARE! Yesterday I biked 20 hilly miles in 100 degrees after 2 hours of leisurely swimming, I remember back to what I "started", my first ride was 3 miles and I had to stop several times on the uphill portions to catch my breath. I'm still no Lance Armstrong (thank God), but I'm headed in a much more fulfilling direction. I want to get a tank that says "If I can do it" on the front and "you can too." on the back to wear during my first 5K (Oct. 20th!) Proud of your attitude wannabe! Keep kicking @ss, athlete!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

You go girl! Your attitude is amazing!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote