3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Favorite Bodyweight Exercises (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/286821-favorite-bodyweight-exercises.html)

lanabug 08-27-2013 08:37 PM

Favorite Bodyweight Exercises

As much as I love working out with equipment or using DVD's with weights and bands, I think that sometimes it can be beneficial to get back to basics and keep it simple. I'm in a bit of a plateau, so I want to shake up my routine and instead of buying a new DVD, I'm going to try working out with just my body for a while.

So - what are your favorite bodyweight exercises?

Stay Puft 08-27-2013 08:49 PM

I've just started so I don't have a lot of experience with body weight exercises. But they are the first step of my exercise plan mostly because there are no excuses for not doing it. But everything I've read tells me that they are just a good idea.

I've started with squats, so they are the current favorite, but I plan on adding planks, pushups (just did first day of these yesterday) and pullups (will need piece of equipment for this one).

JeniH 08-27-2013 09:58 PM

I'm new to body weight exercises but right now I'm doing a 30 day squat challenge and a 30 day push-up challenge. I'm also looking at adding planks, bridges, chair dips, lunges etc.

lanabug 08-27-2013 11:02 PM

Thanks for your responses :)

Jeni, does the 30 day push up challenge lead up to doing 'real' push ups or just build on a number? Cause I've been working on my arms for a while but I still can't do actual push ups.

Changergirl 08-28-2013 01:25 AM

I'm another big fan of both planks and pushups and variations of both. I just started a new program and two of the toughest exercises were body weight ones. Planks with alternating leg lifts and Alternating T-Stabilization (which starts off in push up position). You should be able to find videos of both on youtube.

Lunges and squats are great too. My legs have definitely tightened up since doing both. Another good body weight leg exercise are step ups. I just use a regular kitchen chair with no extra weight and make sure I'm only using one leg. The higher the chair the better the workout.

JeniH 08-28-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanabug (Post 4826576)
Thanks for your responses :)

Jeni, does the 30 day push up challenge lead up to doing 'real' push ups or just build on a number? Cause I've been working on my arms for a while but I still can't do actual push ups.

Just increases the number of push ups. It doesn't specify how you do them, that's up to you. I'm doing them on a counter (can't do even one regular push up lol). I was thinking when I'm done with the 30 days I could do it again either against the sofa arm (lower so it would be harder) or do "girly push-ups". Maybe I could work up to regular push ups... I'd be happy just being able to do one!

lanabug 08-29-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Changergirl (Post 4826624)
I'm another big fan of both planks and pushups and variations of both. I just started a new program and two of the toughest exercises were body weight ones. Planks with alternating leg lifts and Alternating T-Stabilization (which starts off in push up position). You should be able to find videos of both on youtube.

Lunges and squats are great too. My legs have definitely tightened up since doing both. Another good body weight leg exercise are step ups. I just use a regular kitchen chair with no extra weight and make sure I'm only using one leg. The higher the chair the better the workout.

Ooh, I've got a question for you in that case! As someone who does both, which do you think is better to start off with, planks or push ups? I've always been really awful at both of them, and while I intend to do both, I'm wondering if one is better to start building certain muscles to help with the other or not.

I feel kind of silly since I've almost spent tons of money on those little rubber 'steps' that you can stack up to do that, it honestly never even crossed my mind that I could just put a chair or something against a wall. Lol thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeniH (Post 4826626)
Just increases the number of push ups. It doesn't specify how you do them, that's up to you. I'm doing them on a counter (can't do even one regular push up lol). I was thinking when I'm done with the 30 days I could do it again either against the sofa arm (lower so it would be harder) or do "girly push-ups". Maybe I could work up to regular push ups... I'd be happy just being able to do one!

That's actually a really good idea though! I think starting out with the 'easier' ones and building that up would help build muscle regardless so when you progress to a proper push up, it won't seem so far out there impossible.

JeniH 08-30-2013 02:35 AM

That's what I'm hoping!

lanabug 08-31-2013 03:59 AM

Let me know how it goes for you! I think I'm gonna follow suit regardless ;)