Beginner Runner

• For you runners- it gets better, right?

I'm a new runner. Although since I have literally ONE run under my belt, I'm not so sure I can classify myself as such. I ran for THE very first time yesterday. My husband is a runner, it never interested me a ton. But, lately it has. I kept putting it off, thinking I would start when I was closer to my goal weight. Then realized it might actually HELP me get rid of my last 20-30 pounds. Once I got over the fear of people laughing and staring, I took a run with my husband last night. (who was so gracious to keep my pace and encourage me- he does 10 mile runs and much faster than me!).

I did a 5 minute warm up walk, then started running. I went 2:45 before I felt like I was dying. I stopped running, and starting walking.. walked maybe 5 minutes, got the courage to try again.

I WENT 8:05 minutes!!!!!! I went slower this round. I think I went too fast the first time- I was carrying an 11:00 min/mi and I think it was too fast for a VERY first run. The second round I was more around 13:00 and could hold for 8 minutes straight. I only went .6 miles, so not even 1 mile. But that's OK for a first run, right? My husband said an 8 minute straight run for the first time was absolutely amazing- but he's my husband, you know? He says those things.

How did you all do those first runs?

It was actually my stomach that pushed me to stop when I did. I got this massive cramp in my stomach area around 5 minutes. I pushed through for 3 more, but then it was too much.

Today my legs feel like jello. And my calves ache a bit. But I feel this strange accomplishment today, I feel amazing.

That said, the thought of doing this again kinda scares me. :P I plan to take today off, and try again tomorrow. I have this fear I'll do worse?

Sorry for the rambles. I'm just kinda stoked I pushed past my fears and got out there. (FYI- it's incredible of how nervous I was when I first started that people would stare.. and once I got 2-3 minutes into it and "int the zone" I'm pretty sure I was the only person who existed on the roads, I could care less who saw me).
  • I am in the same situation! This morning was my 4th "run" if you want to call it that. I am going at a much easier pace, but I haven't timed myself. I'm sure I couldn't make it 8 minutes, though, even going slow! I am just now getting my arms not to flail wildly around when I'm running. The soreness from the first run was the worst, so look forward to less of that!
  • Tabbycat here.

Hubby is right... you did a GREAT job!

I started by walking 2 miles, then adding some jogging in the middle of the 2 miles. It was a while before I could trot 8 minutes.

I agree that you may have started too fast. I can run 5K without stopping but my pace is slow. On my neighborhood jogs I go between 11:30 and 12:00 per mile. Evem in a 5K race, doing my best, I have not made it down to 35:00 and I may never be able to. (I'm 57 and never ran ntil about a year ago.)

Congratulations on both your effort and your achievement, and may you have manyhappy hours of running!

Annie
  • Thank you both!
    My husband thinks I went too fast the first time, too. Honestly, the first 'round' there was a bunch of people (including a big group of teenage boys hanging around) and I think I went fast to pass them, because of my nerves. Once I put focus on myself and the run, I was able to pass people and not care... so I slowed my pace a lot.

I also struggled the first time with gagging? I have no idea what that was. I don't know if junk was coming up in my chest from the activity, or what. I have allergies and post nasal drip, but it's never bothered me with other forms of exercise. But again, once I slowed that kinda went away.

laciemn, glad the soreness has gotten better! I feel like a bowl of jello today. Hopefully that gets better over the day/tomorrow, because I can't picture running on jello legs tomorrow evening, ha.
  • I would say run way slower than you think you should at first. You can develop speed later, after you get a base fitness level from just running. Have you looked into the Couch to 5K method? It's a really slow and easy way to build up to 3 miles!

When I've gotten out of shape and get back into running, I often start by running and walking for 30 minutes. I will run 1 minute, walk 4 minutes for 30 minutes. Then the next week I'll run 2 minutes, walk 3 minutes. Then run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes, etc. until I am running a base amount of 30 minutes. THEN I will work on speed and/or build distance.
  • Agreed, too much too soon. Gagging means you're really, really overdoing it. That's end-of-race (or Biggest Loser pushing unfit people way too hard), not a first run.
  • Definitely try couch to 5k. Before I knew about c25k I tried to just run as long as I could and ended up not trying again for another few weeks. Couch to 5k is the absolute best for people who have never been runners before. It gets up your endurance nice and slow so you don't hurt yourself
  • I think everyone experienced what you're describing the 1st time out. If you haven't been exercising in an aerobic way--it's not unusual to feel nauseated. Just remember there will be good days--and there will be bad days. But CONGRATULATIONS you're moving. Don't worry about your speed--it's not important--find a slow comfortable stride--keep moving forward--and speed will increase the more your muscles build-and-your endurance improves. Just never give up.

• When I first started running, the absolutely BEST advice I got was to run so slow you think you're not moving. And when you get there, slow down more!

I didn't believe it at the time, but it worked!

Jen
  • Your husband is right, that is AWESOME for a first run! I also think maybe take it a little easier to avoid injury until your body gets used to it. Look into the c25k program, sounds like you maybe able to skip a couple of the first weeks though! keep it up!
  • I just wanted to throw in my support for Couch_to_5K programs. Check out www.coolrunning.com. And I personally couldn't get by without podrunner's "first day to 5K" music mixes. They propel you through it. www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html and free on iTunes.

And yes, the key to beginning was learning to run slow.
  • Thanks guys! I looked into the couch to 5k, but I sort of went past it and decided not to do it. While I'm a beginner runner, I'm definitely not a coucher. I've been exercising for 8 months, and I can do some HEFTY fast walking for many hours. In fact, we went to NYC last week and I clocked over 35k steps in just a day, and I barely felt a burn. Just sore the next morning a bit.

I think the walking/running might bore me a little, and I think I'm ready for a bit more. I had a second run last night (woohoo) and actually went a full mile without stopping even once. I went slow (listened to you all!).. I think I had a 14: pace, it took me almost 15 minutes for the 1 mile. The hardest was the first 1-2 minutes, and then I really didn't struggle until the end, when I knew it was time to stop (and it wasn't pain or anything, just jello legs!!).

I did get queasy after I stopped, though. But I think that's simply because I'm not used to this form of exercise. I also might have had too much water beforehand, I read that can cause it? And per my husband, next time I need a cool down. I hit my mile and just STOPPED, he thinks I should lightly jog or even just walk for a moment before I stop.

But I did it!! And I'm not all that sore today or anything. Just jiggly jello legs when I sit for awhile and then stand up, but it goes away.