Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Shoes for running and other stuff?

I received a gift certificate to Bloomingdales (???) which is a store normally out of my price range but it is what it is. I really want to spend the money on a good work out shoe. I like to run, but I also like to play tennis and walk. I'm getting a bike soon so I'd like a workout shoe that can accommodate all activities. What kind of shoe should I look into buying?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227.8/226.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Interested in the topic

Sorry I have no idea but thank you for posting this coz I am very interested in learning about good quality shoes as well. I am planning to treat myself to best walking/jogging/elliptical workout shoes that will last a while.

Thanks
niru78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #3  

Yes, I know it's important to have the right shoes but I don't know what's best.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #4  

You won't want to hear this and I suspect you know already what I'm about to say, but Bloomingdales, nice as it is, is not the place to get running shoes. Running shoes for running come from a proper running store where someone who knows what s/he's doing looks at how you walk and how you run, and bases recommendations on that. For general gym stuff including walking and beginner biking, go with something that feels good and you like what they look like.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Unfortunately, Nike is the only brand that you're going to find at Bloomies... Everything else is going to be high end "fashion" type sneakers.... And don't get me wrong I love my Prada, Gucci, and Ferragamo's sneakers... But I don't workout in them... Although Prada makes some really comfortable and supportive sneakers that would be find for walking and basic gym workouts... But you're talking around $400 a pair.... So unless Nike works for you... I would use that gift certificate for maybe a cute workout outfit or just splurge on some cosmetics or perfume that you wouldn't normally buy yourself.... Have fun...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 276/182/160

Height: 5'8

I think you're looking for ultimately a cross-training shoe but if you're really wanting to invest in a good quality shoe, I'd recommend going to a specialty store where, as someone stated before, someone can really examine your personal stride and the way your foot is built.
StrangeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #7  

Oh shucks, I know it's hard to find a running shoe at Bloomies but that's where the gift certificate is for. Now I'm bummed.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I received a gift certificate to Bloomingdales (???) which is a store normally out of my price range but it is what it is. I really want to spend the money on a good work out shoe. I like to run, but I also like to play tennis and walk. I'm getting a bike soon so I'd like a workout shoe that can accommodate all activities. What kind of shoe should I look into buying?
A running shoe would be good for running or walking--but not tennis. In tennis there is a lot of lateral movement and you need shoes designed for that. Running/Walking shoes are built for strictly moving forward.

Furthermore--I would go to a running store for advice on a shoe before I would buy anything.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #9  

Thanks for the input. Going to a running store sounds expensive. But I guess I have no choice.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #10  

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Going to a running store sounds expensive. But I guess I have no choice.
It depends on what type of shoe they recommend--but once you find the shoe you want--(brand and type) you may be able to pick them up via the internet cheaper--or they may have a good sale going on. A good running shoe--can cost anywhere from $80.00 to $160.00 and they last a long time--if you're only wearing them for walking/running.

Since you're playing tennis also--you may be able to pick up cross-training shoes that will fit your needs--(depending on how much walking/running) you plan on doing.

But--all in all--anyone who exercises frequently--runs--aerobics--whatever will tell you that the most important investment you make into your exercise program are the shoes you are wearing. No one wants to stop exercising because of shin splints-foot/hip/knee/ankle/pain and other injuries associated with wearing the wrong shoes. And exercising without those kind of problems popping up is "priceless."

Last edited by Kscott; 07-30-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
It depends on what type of shoe they recommend--but once you find the shoe you want--(brand and type) you may be able to pick them up via the internet cheaper
Your local running shop is a business, not a library. If you want to buy online cheaper, get your fitting online.

Generally, independent stores sell at list, just like Zappos.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Your local running shop is a business, not a library. If you want to buy online cheaper, get your fitting online.

Generally, independent stores sell at list, just like Zappos.
Well, I understand that but how can you get your fitting online? I do understand the importance of this, right now my shoes hurt me just by putting them on, that can't be good! I was just hoping the gift certificate would work. Bloomies only has Nike shoes.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #13  

Quote:
Well, I understand that but how can you get your fitting online? <snip> I was just hoping the gift certificate would work. Bloomies only has Nike shoes.
IMO you can't.

So don't get your fitting at an indie store and spend your money somewhere else.

I don't quite understand what you're looking for here. No one posting in this thread is going to hire a running shoe fitter at Bloomingdale's shoe department. Bloomingdale's sells fashion. You need function.

IMO either sell the GC and take yourself to a running store, or spend it (at Bloomie's) on workout gear and/or a good running bra, both of which they might sell.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #14  

Thanks for the help. I was originally asking for suggestions on what type of shoe should I get. Like shouldn't get Nikes or Reebok? It is there a different brand I should look into. I do not expect anyone to "hire a shoe expert at Bllomingdaldes", whatever that means. I understand now that his store probably does not have a lot of selection but like I said, I don't really go there so how would I know that?? I'm sorry my idiotic question disturbed anyone. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Also, running stores aren't more expensive than most other places but once you find a shoe that works for you, you can buy future shoes online.

When I went and got fitted at a running store, I had 3 choices that I really liked, priced from $60 to $100. It turned out that I really loved Brooks and they have been the best shoes for me.

Now that I have a Brooks style that works for me, I generally buy replacements online.

Maybe since buying shoes at Bloomingdale's isn't in your best interest, how about buying some workout clothes there?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote