foot fell asleep when running, is this normal?

• So about halfway through my 2 mile walk/jog last night my right foot completely fell asleep. I worked through it and finished my workout but the feeling didn't come back until I stopped and rested. It still feels a little tingly today. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?
  • How tightly do you lace up your running shoes?
  • My guess is that your shoes don't fit properly.
  • Are you "walking/jogging" on an elliptical, or on a treadmill or some non-mechanized surface? If elliptical, move your feet around occasionally--pick up the foot rather than just moving your weight.

If no elliptical, try lacing looser. Feet swell while we run.
  • Definitely loosen your shoe laces...That was one reason my feet got numb when I first started running, the other reason was because I had Morton's neuroma and this was resolved by wearing orthotics....
  • I've never had a foot fall asleep during a run. If that kind of thing happens regularly, go to the doctor.
  • As people here have said, that was likely just a shoe-related occurrence. Another thing that you may want to look at if you haven't already would be your socks. I know from the past that when I wore any sort of cotton or thicker sock that took up more room making my shoes tighter. Just look at your choices, make sure your feet can breathe and you should be fine. If it becomes a persistent problem, consider seeing your doc.
  • Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes that give you good support and not just a pair of sneakers. I had the same problem and I've tried loosening the laces and moving my feet around on the elliptical but my feet kept going numb.
  • Like people have said, loosen your shoe laces when you are getting on an elliptical.

Also, if it happens even with that, get off the machine and walk around for a minute or two. Do high knees, and then get back on the machine. Sometimes it is just our posture, and the specific pressure points we are hitting when we stand specific ways. A simple shift, or release, could help.