Slightly unstable knee, now what?

• Thursday morning I clocked forty-five minutes on the elliptical. I had noticed my knee popped, but it didn't bother me then. Once I got to school, I had to walk up some steps, and suddenly my left knee just became weak, and unstable.

It has been hurting me since, and I really want to exercise. I was just wondering, what do you recommend???
  • If you heard/felt something pop and now you're feeling unstable you really should see a doctor. Instability is an indicator of tendon or ligament damage.
  • I don't know how long you've been using the elliptical, but I was given advice like this when I hurt my knees:

Ice it and rest it when you can. I know you're probably keen on not missing exercise right now, but you won't be doing yourself any favors if you're exacerbating an injury, especially in an important joint like your knees.

Once it starts feeling better, don't get back on the elliptical until you do some strengthening for all the muscles around your knee.

If you are going to continue using the elliptical, you need to concentrate on form. That means using your glutes and your hamstrings more than your quads.
  • Quote: Thursday morning I clocked forty-five minutes on the elliptical. I had noticed my knee popped, but it didn't bother me then. Once I got to school, I had to walk up some steps, and suddenly my left knee just became weak, and unstable.

It has been hurting me since, and I really want to exercise. I was just wondering, what do you recommend???
    I would recommend doing some leg lifts. Where you sit on the weight bench with the weights around your ankles and lift straight up. It's our thigh muscles that keep our knees in place.

I work out on an elliptical too and notice some knee pain following--so I am also going to try the Mueller's knee band to help keep the knee together--this is what I just ordered. They have many reviews--if you want to read about them.

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Jumper...glink121808-20

Good Luck-
  • since it popped and now it's weak and unstable, SEE A DOCTOR....my DH has had similar problems and ended up with knee surgery both times (once on each knee at separate times)

if it's sore or achy etc i'd agree with the ice, rest, strengthening etc