3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Has Anyone Joined Curves? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/284984-has-anyone-joined-curves.html)

Amy Remixed 07-18-2013 05:39 PM

Has Anyone Joined Curves?

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of joining Curves to beef up my workout routine. Does anyone else belong at this time? Do you have positive or negative feedback about them?

Thank you!

~ Amy

Underwater 07-18-2013 05:44 PM

I had a membership for a couple of months a few years ago. To be honest, I didn't feel it was intense enough for me, although was over 250 lbs at the time. I didn't break much of a sweat and wasn't sore after at all. Then when I was the inches-loser for the month, that actually sealed the deal for me. I didn't feel I was making good progress, yet I was making better progress than ANYONE at that center!

I really like Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred Video. I feel like that's a good workout when you don't want to commit much time. Intense, but short. Plus I feel sore the next day so I know I'm working undeveloped muscles.

Doomkitty 07-18-2013 06:36 PM

I had a membership there for a number of months back in about 2007. I started at 160 pounds and was nearly 130 by the time I left; 10 of those pounds came off in the first month. I don't recall being sore when I left but I was rarely still. Between machines, I'd practically hop in place and I always pushed to do the best that I could on each machine. By the time I finished, I was always drenched in sweat.

All that matters is you give it your all and it's something you feel you can stick with.

Amy Remixed 07-19-2013 01:50 AM

Thank you for your input. I'll probably go for the consultation next week. I'll consider what you've said when I check it out.

happy dance 07-19-2013 12:29 PM

I found Curves to be a good starting point as it is very welcoming and un-intimidating. However, after awhile, my social nature kicked in and I found that I wasn't pushing myself due to chatting with the other ladies. Eventually, you will probably want to end up in a traditional fitness center, but Curves will help get you there if you're not comfortable yet.

Amy Remixed 07-19-2013 03:07 PM

Hi happy dance,

That is my exact thinking. I need to start in a friendly, non-intimidating place. Years ago I joined a high-falutin' gym and that was miserable. I had good work outs. But the sales pitches for individual training were a bit much. And the environment was a total meat market.

SunnySide99 07-19-2013 03:41 PM

I did a free month trial with Curves 3 summers ago. Even thought I was terribly out of shape I found I needed more. Also there was a lot of chit chat between the ladies. I'm the type that likes to stay focused and get in and out. Although it wasn't for me, I do think it's a great place to get started.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kscott 07-21-2013 03:18 PM

I had a membership for about 1 year and then moved on--but my sister and mother (have been going to Curves) for years now and still love it. My sister now incorporates a little Zumba at home to keep up her aerobic activity--but she's at Curves every morning at 6 a.m.and she looks great.

Amy Remixed 07-31-2013 05:20 PM

I've registered for a free consultation. I'll tour my local Curves. I'll let you all know what I think.