kcal?

• Could someone please explain the difference between a kilocalorie and just a calorie in terms of burning while doing exercise? The thing that counts calories for me is in kcal, and i would like to know what i'm burning in terms of calories. Thank-you very much!
  • I'm pretty sure they are the same thing.
  • Let's see if I can explain this right (and, someone correct me if I'm wrong)...a kilocalorie is 1000 calories. For instance, a nutragrain bar has 130 kilocalories. Kilocalorie is equal to 1000 calories....so the bar would be 130kcal or 130,000 calories. The techincal term calorie means the amount of heat required to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.

However, in lay man's terms...we say calorie instead of kilocalorie...which isn't exactly right, but, just think of all the people that would be tripping if they knew that when they are dieting on a 1300 calorie diet...they really mean a 1,300,000 calorie diet.

Is that clear as mud?
  • Michelle is quite right in her explanation.

We just all got lazy and dropped the noughts. So if youe read Kcals as calories you will be fine. The only time this is not so is if you are reading a heavy academic text, and then they will talk about Joules anyway!