Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

lm - glad to hear that you are healing well.

Deva - you are rocking the hot miles!

Yesterday it was HOT here (FINALLY) and I managed 13 miles, but was off about 30 seconds PER MILE.

Running a 10K race this Sunday - I ran this race last year and it was my first 10K race so I'll be anxious to see how I've improved in 1 year.

Jen

Last edited by CherryPie99; 07-15-2013 at 11:35 AM.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

I hear you guys re: this heat!! Hot and humid here as well.

Thankfully Saturday morning was great running weather and I got my long run in - 9 miles. That was a cut back week. This is a big week for me - all of my short runs are bumped up a mile each, and my long run is 14 miles - which will officially be my longest run ever! Yikes

I'm gonna see if things cool off this evening, otherwise it will be off to the gym for a treadmill run

Stay cool gang!!
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #18  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

You guys are all rockin the miles
I put in a measly 3.5 this morning.
I am having a flair up of a Morton's neuroma ( on the foot I did not have the surgrey on) so went to podiatrist this morn after run and got a cortisone shot hope it does the trick
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Ran 7 miles at lunch - 88 degrees, humid and it was GLORIOUS!!! Nice little breeze.

My time suffers in the heat, but my spirit DOES NOT!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #20  
Training for life!

Hope to run this weekend really need to but most likely will need to hike with hubby think foot can handle!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

This heat and humidity sucks! I've had to get up early to run but because of some hip issues have been keeping my runs short. I have 32 miles in this month so far. I know I won't reach my goal of 100 miles but it's been so hot and my hip has been bothering me. But setting the goal has had the effect I wanted - it's helped me run regularly!
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 170/120/fit

Height: 5'2"

Hi, everybody! I've just rejoined 3FC after quite some time away, and I wanted to jump into the running thread. I'm so impressed by everyone who has been running outside in this heat! I decided to join a gym because I couldn't hack the 90-100 degree weather anymore. For the most part, I'm happy with the decision, but tonight I had a fight with the treadmill. I've been training for a 10K, and today I decided to run the full 10K on a treadmill at 6mph. My treadmill, unfortunately, had other plans and tried to force me to cool down at 55 minutes. I'm sure that I looked a little loony; I was pressing buttons like a madwoman and probably muttering to the treadmill while doing so. Has anyone else had a similar problem with cardio machines at the gym? I'm thinking of signing up for a half marathon sometime in the late fall or winter, and I don't want to be constantly fighting with a machine every time the weather prompts me to run inside on a treadmill.

Anyhow, try to stay cool! I hope you all have a wonderful start to your weekend.
Nienna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna86 View Post
Hi, everybody! I've just rejoined 3FC after quite some time away, and I wanted to jump into the running thread. I'm so impressed by everyone who has been running outside in this heat! I decided to join a gym because I couldn't hack the 90-100 degree weather anymore. For the most part, I'm happy with the decision, but tonight I had a fight with the treadmill. I've been training for a 10K, and today I decided to run the full 10K on a treadmill at 6mph. My treadmill, unfortunately, had other plans and tried to force me to cool down at 55 minutes. I'm sure that I looked a little loony; I was pressing buttons like a madwoman and probably muttering to the treadmill while doing so. Has anyone else had a similar problem with cardio machines at the gym? I'm thinking of signing up for a half marathon sometime in the late fall or winter, and I don't want to be constantly fighting with a machine every time the weather prompts me to run inside on a treadmill.

Anyhow, try to stay cool! I hope you all have a wonderful start to your weekend.
Welcome back!!

I know exactly what you mean re: the treadmill timer. My gym had the treadmill default to 60 mins and then it automatically cooled down. I looked up the treadmill model online and found instructions for accessing the configuration menu and changing the max time. Unfortunately, on the model my gym has the max time is 99 mins. While that's great for mid length runs, it won't cut it for my slow paced longer runs. So if I need to go longer than 99 mins I will just choose a mile to stop/start the treadmill. For example, if I wanted to go 10 miles, I will stop it at 5 miles and QuickStart it right away again. Drink some water while you're waiting and it doesn't seem too painful

Of course, I use my garmin to record my time, so I don't mind losing whatever time the treadmill had me at when I stop/start it again.

Hope this made sense

Gotta sleep... 14 miles for me in the morning!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #24  

Well I did my 14 miles...which is now officially my longest distance ever run. It started raining hard about 1.5 miles in and I was sooooooo tempted to just run back to my car and give up for today. However, the rain kept me cool, so it really wasn't too bad! Except for wet feet + wet socks + wet shoes do not make for happy feet.

After it stopped raining, it got hot, and then my knees started hurting and then my feet.... It was not the most pleasant run, and it was really hard to finish.

Hope I'm just having a blah running day because if I find 14 miles really hard, how am I gonna do 26.2??

What have you guys been up to?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 170/120/fit

Height: 5'2"

KindaSortaAthlete, thanks for the tips about treadmills! I'll have to look up my gym's machine online and figure out how to override that 55 minute mark, at least until I pick up my pace a little. Breaking up the run with a water break seems like a good idea, too. And congrats on the 14 mile run! I'm sure that it will be a little easier to run such distances when you're not dealing with rain and wet feet, socks, and shoes.

This morning I ran in a mile-long race and was really pleased with my time. I felt really tired at the beginning of the mile and wondered why it was so difficult to keep running. Then I came up on the midway point and realized that I was running much faster than I usually do. In the end, I crossed the finish line at 8:04! I know that's not super fast in the running world, and I don't think that I could sustain it for a 5 or 10k, but that's definitely the fastest I've ever run before, so yay!
Nienna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #26  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Deva - hw is your foot? I can't believe you are again suffering from that, it's the worst...

Welcome Nienna~ I hate treadmills in general & definitely when they mess with my runs!!! I just set it to manual...congrats on that mileage though - I can't make it past 5 miles on a treadmill no matter what - I'd rather run a half marathon in a blizzard lol.

4.25 miles yesterday morning outside now that this heatwave has somewhat broke...it felt so good. I've been slacking hard core so this felt great.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #27  
Training for life!

Ran just under 4 this morn it was muggy and warm but not hot. The heat seem to be making my feet swell which is not helping issue!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #28  
Training for life!

Got 4 miles in this morning and then took puppy on a 2.5 mile walk jogged a bit trying to get her a little use to it...she jumps up on me and tries nipping heels,after all she is an AUSSIE...so before she is to old need to get her accustomed to the action.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #29  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

She sounds adorable Deva!!

4.5 miles Wednesday night - felt good, foot sore but no need to stop.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #30  

Nienna - that's an amazing time for your mile!! I hope to be that fast someday

Well it seems like the heat wave finally broke this week, and it's just mostly been rainy running weather.

Since my long runs are starting to get up there in miles, I decided to try out one of those hydration vests so I could carry more water with me. I've always hated fuel belts, and my handheld water bottle is too small for long long runs, and I kinda hate carrying it. REI is having a sale via their online outlet and have a Nathan Hydration Vest and a Camelbak on sale for 50% off!! That's an amazing deal.

I ended up buying both so I could see how they fit, I love that the Nathan has pockets in the front, on the straps. Great place to stash my phone and some gels. Both models have 70 oz bladders.

I took the Nathan out for a 4 mile test run tonight and it was pretty great! I will need to get used to having something on my back, but there was no bouncing or sliding, so that's good. I think I'm going to return the Camelbak.

Tomorrow will be the true test - 15 miles! I'd better go rest my feet

Hope you guys are well!!

Last edited by KindaSortaAthlete; 07-27-2013 at 07:38 PM.