Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default First run outside....holy ****!

Since I've signed up for my first 5K, which is in a little less than six weeks, I figured I'd better start doing my runs outside (since I doubt they'll let me do the race on a treadmill!)

Well. Can we just say that my eyes have been opened to how tough running *really* is?!

Seriously. I can run twenty minutes nonstop on a treadmill (well, okay, fine, I've only done that once, but I CAN DO IT, dammit!). Today, outside, on actual concrete? Eight minutes was my limit. To be fair, I do think it had more than a little something to do with the fact that the roads in my town are *horrible* and I kept having to be aware and conscious of where the cracks, potholes, etc., are so that I wouldn't go flying face-first (which would definitely put a damper on the whole "I'm a runner thing", bahaha.)

Having said that, though...I learned that I do need to start practicing more on running outside, if I want to have a decent finish time in June. At the end of my journey today, I had run/walked 4.9 miles in 35 minutes, at a pace of 7m11s per mile. (It was faster at first; I finished my first mile in 5m30s.)

Anyway, I'd be thrilled just to finish under 40 minutes my first time out, but today definitely opened my eyes to how tough running *can* be.

But hey...I'm tougher!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Awesome. Can't wait to give this a try. But I am also worried about how tough it might be. It will nice to stay cooler though.

And jeees, you run fast. I'm sure you'd have lasted longer if you had slowed down!

Last edited by IanG; 05-21-2013 at 12:59 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #3  
Breathing.

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Yay, good job! I find that running outside rather than on the treadmill to be much harder as well!
Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
Since I've signed up for my first 5K, which is in a little less than six weeks, I figured I'd better start doing my runs outside (since I doubt they'll let me do the race on a treadmill!)

Well. Can we just say that my eyes have been opened to how tough running *really* is?!

Seriously. I can run twenty minutes nonstop on a treadmill (well, okay, fine, I've only done that once, but I CAN DO IT, dammit!). Today, outside, on actual concrete? Eight minutes was my limit. To be fair, I do think it had more than a little something to do with the fact that the roads in my town are *horrible* and I kept having to be aware and conscious of where the cracks, potholes, etc., are so that I wouldn't go flying face-first (which would definitely put a damper on the whole "I'm a runner thing", bahaha.)

Having said that, though...I learned that I do need to start practicing more on running outside, if I want to have a decent finish time in June. At the end of my journey today, I had run/walked 4.9 miles in 35 minutes, at a pace of 7m11s per mile. (It was faster at first; I finished my first mile in 5m30s.)

Anyway, I'd be thrilled just to finish under 40 minutes my first time out, but today definitely opened my eyes to how tough running *can* be.

But hey...I'm tougher!
You're right--you are tougher than that--you can do it! If you can find some dirt to run on--that would be easier on your body--than on concrete--or pavement. Make certain you're wearing good running shoes designed for outdoor use--that have good tread on them to prevent slipping.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #5  

You are an amazing woman, snoofie!! I drop my jaw every time I read one of your posts, I want to be like snoofie!

And what do you mean we can't bring our treadmills to the 5k races?? No one told me THAT! Too funny!

I have never run outside, cars would be crashing trying to figure out what I was trying to do (I don't think anyone would guess that I was running!).

Someone told me to try running on a trail but I have a feeling I'd just end up dirty and tripping over a rock or a branch or something.

Keep up the good work. And you are so right, you are TOUGHER!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #6  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

HOLY MOLY!

You run FAST, WOMAN!!!!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #7  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
You are an amazing woman, snoofie!! I drop my jaw every time I read one of your posts, I want to be like snoofie!
Funny....I think the same thing every time I read one of YOUR posts. "I wanna be like elvislover!" It's weird to think that *I* might inspire someone!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #8  

Quote:
Well, that's a coincidence....cause every time I read one of YOUR posts, I think, "I want to be like elvislover!" It's weird to think I inspire someone.
Girlfriend, you so inspire me!! And to say you want to be like ME?! Your run must have made you delirious!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #9  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
HOLY MOLY!

You run FAST, WOMAN!!!!
Bahaha....when I posted my pace on my Facebook page, one of my friends commented with two words: "JESUS, woman." I'm still chuckling over that reaction.

Anyway...it might be fast, but it didn't *feel* fast, do you know what I mean? Like, I think I could have gone faster. Not for long, mind you, but I think I definitely could have gone faster, even for a short while.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'2

Running outside is definitely more difficult than running on a treadmill! But you did it! I'm sure you'll get used to it very soon.

And I'm jealous of your speed! I'm a turtle who runs 13:30 min./mile. There are people who walk faster than I run!
Angelic Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #11  

Quote:
Bahaha....when I posted my pace on my Facebook page, one of my friends commented with two words: "JESUS, woman." I'm still chuckling over that reaction.

Anyway...it might be fast, but it didn't *feel* fast, do you know what I mean? Like, I think I could have gone faster. Not for long, mind you, but I think I definitely could have gone faster, even for a short while.
Yeah, I do know what you mean by being fast without really feeling fast (although this situation does not really happen frequently to me )

But actually, it is a great thing that you are feeling that you could have gone a little faster for a little longer! It's great to finish a run without being completely SPENT/lying on the grass/waiting for the paramedics-style.

I'm still flabbergasted by your 5:30min/mile. When I push to 5:30min/KILOMETER too long, I'm ''IWANNADIEIWANNADIEIWANNADIE''.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
I'm ''IWANNADIEIWANNADIEIWANNADIE''.
I do 15.47/3.8mph and it's the same quote!!!

Last edited by elvislover324; 05-21-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I do 15.47/3.8mph and it's the same quote!!!
This is a very versatile quote, indeed!! LOL

I'm designing my interval training program that I'll do later today, and I have the feeling I'll use this quote a lot!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #14  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

It's funny because I think the treadmill is harder, but I started outside and 99.9% of the time, I run outside.

I've had to miss some running due to injury, and I'm not looking forward to starting back. May is usually adjust to the weather month. It usually starts cool and warms up all month. It's pretty easy to adjust to while I'm out there frequently. Now I'm going to be jumping straight into the 80s and 90s with high humidity. I'm not excited about that hit my pace is going to take. The plus side is that in late Oct, when it finally cools off, I'll pick up speed and feel super fast.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #15  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

If you were able to run a mile at 5:30/per minute mile pace that is EXTREMELY FAST and it means that you are a naturally gifted runner... Definitely a top age grouper.... And probably with the right coaching and training could even be a approaching an elite level... Just for a frame of reference my PR for a 5K is 18:47 and I actually won that race outright...

So if you're able to keep that pace up... You just might be taking home some prize money in the near future... Good luck!

Last edited by TripSwitch; 05-21-2013 at 05:08 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote