Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #16  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

You know, I'm pretty much right there with you about the weight vs the training. It also just so happens that I'm finding it much easier to lose weight now, probably because I'm not overthinking it anymore. I'm trying to actively lose a decent amount of weight this summer, but only because it will make me faster for marathon training, which starts in Aug.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

What an amazing goal 100Mother! Impressive!!!

I have toyed with the idea of a triathlon, I guess starting with the baby one. What I can't seem to wrap my head around is how to find time to do all the training! I'm running 4 days/week for my marathon training, plus several days of strength training. I don't really know how to swim, and I'm sort of looking into adult lessons. I'd love to be able to use lap swimming as cross training. I don't have a bike, and haven't ever regularly biked anywhere. I would like to try a spin class though I just run out of time during the week!

It sort of feels like to try to dip my toes in all 3 areas would mean I'm not doing really well in any ONE area. For now I'm going to focus on my marathon and see if I can find some ways to squeeze in some swim lessons.

Buuuuuuuuuut - best of luck to YOU! Keep up the great work
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #18  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Fruitcake View Post
What an amazing goal 100Mother!

I have a secret dream of running a marathon someday. I don't know if I'll ever get there, but I know I'm going in the right direction right now. I'd also love to do a triathlon someday!
Angelic - You can do it! Doesn't even have to be a secret. I am so sick of 'hiding' my ambitions just because I have some weight to lose. I actually really feel like when people ask me what kind of exercise I'm doing I should say "I'm in training, for a triathlon" instead of "Oh, just running on the treadmill, biking and swimming." Haha. Why do I feel like the word Triathlon is off limits to me!? Silly silly me Thanks for your support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecomtes View Post
THIS IS AWESOME! I so commend you for making this commitment! Wow, what an incredible goal, your last update brought me to tears. I'm so happy for you, I'm striving to value fitness over appearances myself, and you have inspired me.
Thank you lecomtes! It brought me to tears too! You will get there, you are an inspiration yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikel1979 View Post
You know, I'm pretty much right there with you about the weight vs the training. It also just so happens that I'm finding it much easier to lose weight now, probably because I'm not overthinking it anymore. I'm trying to actively lose a decent amount of weight this summer, but only because it will make me faster for marathon training, which starts in Aug.
Nikel - What's that saying? A watched pot never boils. So true for weight loss as well. Best of luck on losing weight for the summer, I'm sure you will reach yoru goal. Dang girl, a marathon. THAT is SO inspiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaSortaAthlete View Post
What an amazing goal 100Mother! Impressive!!!

I have toyed with the idea of a triathlon, I guess starting with the baby one. What I can't seem to wrap my head around is how to find time to do all the training! I'm running 4 days/week for my marathon training, plus several days of strength training. I don't really know how to swim, and I'm sort of looking into adult lessons. I'd love to be able to use lap swimming as cross training. I don't have a bike, and haven't ever regularly biked anywhere. I would like to try a spin class though I just run out of time during the week!

It sort of feels like to try to dip my toes in all 3 areas would mean I'm not doing really well in any ONE area. For now I'm going to focus on my marathon and see if I can find some ways to squeeze in some swim lessons.

Buuuuuuuuuut - best of luck to YOU! Keep up the great work
That is so true, especially if you are already training for a marathon. For me it keeps me from getting bored. I know that as I progress training is going to get.....interesting. As it is I have to be to the gym by 5:30 AM. I'm sure that will eventually be 4:00 AM, and who knows, maybe earlier. I think I may also have to enlist my boyfriend in training with me, because if he is sitting on the couch, I want to sit on the couch, but if he will swim/bike/run with me...well then...stands to reason so will I!

Thank you all SO muich for stopping by and posting! You have no idea how uplifting it is to see and read your support!
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #19  

A bit bummed this morning, because I wasn't able to swim AGAIN because the pool was closed. But I did have an AWESOME spin class, and will try for the pool again tomorrow.

After realizing what an amazing support my b/f is for me, I did just send him an email asking him to be my coach. Plan is to pick up the book the Triathlon Training Bible, read it, and revise my training schedule and nutrition with my boyfriend. I want to start official training after memorial day weekend.

There are two Sprint Triathlons I'm trying to decide on. One at the end of July, and one at the very beginning of August. Of course, it just occured to me that I COULD do both, but I want to talk to Josh (my b/f) about it a little more.

Also dropped some weight, a little over 1 pound this week, yay!

Tomorrow I start my 1 week salad challenge (salad for breakfast, lunch and dinner). I'm excited to increase my veggie intake and I know my body is going to feel AWESOME!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #20  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Woah, just stumble on this thread! What a goal!! As they say, go big or go home : you GO GIRL!

Question about your 7 days salad challenge : salad for breakfast? What kind of salad are you planning to have? I'm just really curious! hehe!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #21  

Turbo You would be amazed how good salad is for breakfast. Honestly, you can have any salad for breakfast, but my favorite which is specifically a breakfast salad is as follows:

Spinach
Basil
Feta Cheese
Bacon Bites (I use turkey bacon)
and 2 SOFT boiled eggs.

When you cut opent he egg the inside is still slightly runny so you don't really need dressing. The tastes come together REALLY well. My boyfriend LOVES this salad! He gets EXCITED when I make it for breakfast. Either I'm really lucky, or it is a really good salad...I think both

PS - I posted the salad challenge on the Chicks up for a Challenge board. If you want to joing in feel free, even if you just wanna try it one day or something.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #22  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Mother View Post
Turbo You would be amazed how good salad is for breakfast. Honestly, you can have any salad for breakfast, but my favorite which is specifically a breakfast salad is as follows:

Spinach
Basil
Feta Cheese
Bacon Bites (I use turkey bacon)
and 2 SOFT boiled eggs.

When you cut opent he egg the inside is still slightly runny so you don't really need dressing. The tastes come together REALLY well. My boyfriend LOVES this salad! He gets EXCITED when I make it for breakfast. Either I'm really lucky, or it is a really good salad...I think both

PS - I posted the salad challenge on the Chicks up for a Challenge board. If you want to joing in feel free, even if you just wanna try it one day or something.
YUMMMM I do agree that the salad you posted sounds amazing! (I would even add sliced strawberries I think! I love strawberries in this kind of salad, it gives a nice sweet & salty twist!) ...but I think I'd miss my cheerios too much for breakfast
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #23  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Just wanted to jump in and give a recommendation for "The Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel...

I still have my original copy... from when it first came out... It was pretty much the only book like it back then... It's definitely a classic... Another book that might be worth checking out is "Going Long - Training for Ironman Distance Triathlons" by Joe Friel and Gordon Byrn... Lots of useful stuff in there... especially about establishing the necessary endurance base to make it across the finish line of an Ironman...

There are also a few "inspirational" type books with lots of personal stories of people who have done the Ironman that I've read that I've really liked... I can't think of the exact titles at the moment... I'll have to see if I can dig them up... But I think one of them was something like "Becoming an Ironman" or something like that... And also "Iron Will - The Triathlete's Ultimate Challenge" by Mike Plant is also a classic along those same lines...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 05-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #24  

TripSwitch Thanks for the recommendations! I will take a look at both books, and who am I kidding, I'll probably buy both of them. I plan on hitting up the bookstore on the way home.

I have already ready a lot of motivating stuff but will look into your recommendations. I just can't get enough of how inspiring so many people are.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #25  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Mother View Post
TripSwitch Thanks for the recommendations! I will take a look at both books, and who am I kidding, I'll probably buy both of them. I plan on hitting up the bookstore on the way home.

I have already ready a lot of motivating stuff but will look into your recommendations. I just can't get enough of how inspiring so many people are.
You also might be able to find slightly "used" copies on Amazon or something like that for a really good price... I do that all the time... especially with books that have been out for a while... even when you factor the in the cost of shipping you can usually save quite a bit of money...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #26  

Good morning and Happy Monday!

So this week will be the last week of my 'base fitness' workouts. All that means is by next Monday I want to have a long term fitness regimen planned out and to start it then. Right now I've just been going week by week. Starting on Monday I will have made a decision on Triathlon goal date (I'm lookign at doing one either at the end of JUly or the beginning of August) and then I will base my exercise plans around that. I will of course revise as I go along, but I'd like to have a full road map ahead of me.

Also, this week I am doing salad challenge (having salad 3 meals a day all week long). Starting next week I want to focus on nutrition more. Right now I've just been counting calories, but I want to do some real research on fueling my body for the things I want to do. I am thinking I will start the day off with some kind of protein smoothie (maybe one of the green monsters so many people love). I am also going to look into having 6 small meals throughout the day, rather than 3 big/2 snacks. I obviously need to do more research on this.

I've been working on my swimming form the last couple of days. Some of the main things I'm focusing on are:
1. Keeping my hips up. A lot of this has to do with making sure my head is down far enough, but not too far.
2. Breathing - This is by far the most difficult thing for me. I like to breathe a lot! I have been just doing two strokes and then breathing, which is not efficient. Today I worked on doing 4 strokes. It is definitely doable, I just have to stay focused. This may sound dumb, but if I get excited or feel anxiety, which I often do around other swimmers, my breathing goes out the window. A lot of it is me worrying that I look dumb, how dumb! Haha. Definitely feel like I need to get the under control.
3. Arm extension - Everything I read says to stretch your arms up ahead as far as you can go, and then to pull them out of the water once they are back as far as they can go. I feel like I'm getting a pretty good grasp on this, but I'm trying to 'check in' every once in a while when swimming.
4. Finally - the most difficult thing for me is kicking. I have read that kicking isn't that important, that you should be moving more with our upper body. This is hard for me because I see my legs as a strength. I've also read that you should kind of do the straight leg kicks (Not sure if that makes sense). I'm having a bit of trouble with this as well, because I feel like I'm bending too much at the knee, but I will keep focusing. Maybe I'll practice kicking holding onto the side of the pool or something. I can definitely see the benefit of not kicking too much, because then I can save my legs for the bike and run.

Oh, by the way, my freaking goggles broke at the pool today! Kind of funny.

I talked to Josh about maybe trying a swimming lesson with me with a Tri coach or something, just so I can get some pointers. He definitely seemed up for the idea

My Plan for this week is as follows:::

MONDAY -
W3D1 C25K
8 Laps in the pool

TUESDAY -
Spin/Cycle 30 minutes
Arms & Core Workout
(Optional Spin Class in the Evening?)

WEDNESDAY -
W3D2 C25K
8 Laps in the pool

THURSDAY -
60 Minute Spin Class
Arms & Core Workout

FRIDAY -
W3D3 C25K
Spin 20 Minutes
8 Laps in the pool

Today I'll be looking into planning out an Arms & Core Workout using resistance bands, kettle bells, and planks/crunches/situps/etc.

Thanks so much for reading!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #27  

Been doing some research this morning, getting my nutrition plan together for next week...Totally digging this website: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/

So, I've decided that I will operate on a 1500 calorie diet during the week starting next Tuesday. I will not only count calories, but will also be adding in protein, fat, and carbs. Here are my goals.

Calories - 1500
Fat - 42 grams
Carbs - 145 grams
Protein - 135.2 grams

I made up a menu, and you are not going to believe this, on the first try I hit almost all of my goals EXACTLY! I think it is meant to be This is the plan stan:

Workout Shake (1/2 consumed before, 1/2 after)
Almond Milk, Greek Yogurt, Frozen Banana, Almond Butter

Snack
Hummus, Carrots, Cucumber

Lunch
Quinoa, Chickan, Brussel Sprouts

Snack
Strawberries, Kiwi, Blueberries

Dinner
Salad w/Chicken and Mixed Veggies

This is of course a sample. Life will certainly throw me a few twists. But when I return I am going to aim for this meal plan Tuesday-Friday, and then I will reassess.