Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

I am sort of an in-between runner. The distance I am most comfortable at is 5-10K, but I ran my first half in February (2h33m).

Today I ran a 10K in 1h8m45s on a treadmill. Well, I ran 3 miles in under 30 minutes, then walked for about 14-15 minutes at a 3.5mph, then ran until I completed 5.5miles in 1 hour. I then walked/light jogged that last .7 miles to complete the 10K. If I would have spent less time talking, I would have done it in under an hour, but I'm impressed with what I did!

One of my goals is to complete a marathon and a triathlon, but I don't think that will be my "normal" running distance, I'm more of a 6-8 miler right now.

Lot of people seem to think if you take walk breaks, you are not a true runner, but Jeff Galloway (a former Olympic marathon runner), actually got a better marathon time once he "invented" the "Galloway Method" (run/walk). I have 2 of his books, and while training for my half, they were VERY helpful!

Chris
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #47  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Chris. I will try playing around with the speed.

I didn't manage more distance today, but did a little more speed and shaved 30 seconds off my 2 mile time. I upped my speed from 9.0km/h to 9.2km/h.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #48  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Wow, this topic has taken on a life of its own! I'm kinna overwhelmed by all these replies.

About getting ridiculously hot: This isn't the exact science explanation but it's my understanding of what my cousin explained to me. It's like your muscles are creating friction and your body has to release the heat. You know how when you rub something for a long time it gets super hot? It's like that. Sort of.

About treadmills vs. outside: I ran on a treadmill once. Never gonna happen again. Ever.

About trackers and such: I use a Nike+ to keep track of speed, distance, time, etc. It's super easy to use (which is important for a Luddite like me ).

About eating and running: I don't know what the "correct" answer is. I usually run in the afternoon, about 3-4 hours after lunch. If my blood sugar feels a bit low, I'll eat something carby - usually a bit of banana - before I run. I read somewhere that it's best to eat carbs before and a carbs/protein combo after.

About being a "real" runner: "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." (John Bingham)

Last edited by Novus; 05-12-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #49  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Thanks Chris. I will try playing around with the speed.

I didn't manage more distance today, but did a little more speed and shaved 30 seconds off my 2 mile time. I upped my speed from 9.0km/h to 9.2km/h.
what speed are you running in mph?

I saw you post something about running on an incline in another thread....and yes I've read anywhere from 1-2 % incline mimics outdoor difficulty...I generally run at 1% incline every time i'm on the treadmill and it did make transitioning to my trail run easier...however it can't mimic the affect on the rest of my body...I found that the trail impact affected my ankles, knees and general rest of my body....which doesn't mean i'm going to stop going to my trail...just something to be aware of
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #50  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

here is a pic of me on the trail near where I live....my teenager took the pic...it was a downpour of rain and we were getting soaked LOL

me run mothers day.jpg
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Ran 1 mile today, it was a nice quick run.
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
what speed are you running in mph?

I saw you post something about running on an incline in another thread....and yes I've read anywhere from 1-2 % incline mimics outdoor difficulty...I generally run at 1% incline every time i'm on the treadmill and it did make transitioning to my trail run easier...however it can't mimic the affect on the rest of my body...I found that the trail impact affected my ankles, knees and general rest of my body....which doesn't mean i'm going to stop going to my trail...just something to be aware of
That would be from a 5.5mph to 5.7mph (Thanks Google!)

I always run at 1.5% incline, because I've heard that too. The weird thing for me, is my run time outdoors (pretty flat area) is usually better than on the treadmills! I think it is because I zone out more (I run in a pretty quiet neighborhood) and don't focus on how far I've gone. I also find I get less shin splints outdoors, I'm not sure why on that though???
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Wow, this topic has taken on a life of its own! I'm kinna overwhelmed by all these replies.

About getting ridiculously hot: This isn't the exact science explanation but it's my understanding of what my cousin explained to me. It's like your muscles are creating friction and your body has to release the heat. You know how when you rub something for a long time it gets super hot? It's like that. Sort of.

About treadmills vs. outside: I ran on a treadmill once. Never gonna happen again. Ever.

About trackers and such: I use a Nike+ to keep track of speed, distance, time, etc. It's super easy to use (which is important for a Luddite like me ).

About eating and running: I don't know what the "correct" answer is. I usually run in the afternoon, about 3-4 hours after lunch. If my blood sugar feels a bit low, I'll eat something carby - usually a bit of banana - before I run. I read somewhere that it's best to eat carbs before and a carbs/protein combo after.

About being a "real" runner: "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." (John Bingham)
Novus, congratulations on all the great feedback for this thread! Clearly a space was needed for all of us in-betweeners. I'm glad it has taken a life of its own The Bingham quote is one of my favorites because it is so true.

It's getting quite warm where I live so I've tried to squeeze in my running in the mornings when it is cooler. Yesterday I ran 3.44 miles on the trail that circles around my house.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #54  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

I post on the monthly running thread and have for 1 1/2 years.
I would like to say I don't believe we are "elitest", everyone there is very helpful and supportive. If you read back to last year...most of us that have started running longer mileage...STARTED exactly were you all are and it's all there in old posts.
I for one started running a year ago Oct. in. Breast cancer 5k,that my friends talked me into ...I walked most of it and trotted a bit,then another was coming up in Nov of that year.I signed up and got running walking and by Nov. I placed in my age group..WHO KNEW.....I fell head over heels for running.
I weighed 30 pounds more than currant weight up until dec when I started working on my weight.And I am not young I turn 61 in 10 days SO I did not even start running till I was 59. I don't run fast about a 10 min mile but I can run forever....So feel free to post on the monthly we all start some where one foot in front of the other.

And run for the joy of running!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #55  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by devadiva View Post
I post on the monthly running thread and have for 1 1/2 years. I would like to say I don't believe we are "elitest", everyone there is very helpful and supportive.
I didn't mean to offend the folks on the monthly thread with this one! I hung out there for a bit but always felt so silly with my "I ran a mile" posts when everyone else was like "I did an easy 30 mile run today." So I decided to look for people who are more like me, because they certainly weren't posting in the monthly thread. I'm glad we've found each other and I apologize if anyone is miffed about this thread.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #56  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Well 30 miles is a big exaggeration. Beyond that, I'd just like to point out that easy doesn't mean not difficult. Easy refers to pace and effort. You go slower than race pace and should be running at a conversational pace. When I'm training for a race, every few weeks is a step back week, where the distance is shorter and the pace is easier/slower.

Right now though, I'm running 0 miles. I'm out for a few weeks due to an injury.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #57  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

I agree peeps are helpful and supportive in the monthly running thread, but it is dominated by distance runners (which is fine). I'm still struggling to get beyond 5K without walking and I'm soooo slow.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #58  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Just chiming in to say that yes, people are very welcoming on the other running thread; however, people might feel more comfortable here because they might feel it's more suitable to their needs or current levels. Just as someone feels more at home in the 300+ forum or the Featherweights or the Maintainers doesn't mean that all forums/threads can't co-exist in harmony.

As an example, someone posted above that they aren't a fast runner, just a 10 min/mile. Well, to ME that's fast! And since I'm the kind of person who needs to stay away from comparing myself to others for my own mental health, I might choose not to post on the other thread, in order to stay away from unintentionally comparing myself. Just my $.02.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #59  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Well FWIW, I have done 3 half marathons and will be training for a full this year. I'm still really slow. My long run pace is 14:30-15, and my short run pace is 12:30-13. And I take walk breaks. The finish line is the same, not matter if you're first or last. The last half I did, the 5K, the half, and the full even shared the same finish line. As did the half before it.

Maybe I'm just cranky because I'm not allowed to run right now, but I feel like people are saying distance runners look down on runners that run shorter distances. Running is running. Last summer, when I started running, I couldn't even run for 60 seconds straight. We may not be as different as people think. Don't post in the other thread if you don't want to, but it sucks to be on the receiving end of blame as to why you don't. Clearly this isn't the thread for me.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostMe View Post
I agree peeps are helpful and supportive in the monthly running thread, but it is dominated by distance runners (which is fine). I'm still struggling to get beyond 5K without walking and I'm soooo slow.
This^^^ I agree about the support and help on the monthly thread, but I didn't feel like I had a place there. I'm coming more from where JenMusic is coming from--comfort.

FWIW, I sense no blame in your original post Novus. You were seeking a certain type of camaraderie and validation. Nothing wrong with that. 3 FC wouldn't exist if this wasn't the case.There is no reason people couldn't post to both threads if they wanted.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote