Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

View Poll Results: What do you bet your life on?
CARDIO 9 56.25%
CORE Exercises 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #1  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

Height: 5'5"

Talking Eureka moment - Cardio or Core ??

no NSV's or major losses on the scale but I had a absolutely A-ha moment last night at the gym! I remember when I was in the west coast, I had hired a trainer and he charmed me with dreams of fitting into a navy blue bikini.. (sigh)

Anyway.. so something he told me came as a flash.. doing Cardio burns fat for just the day.. doing Core Excercises burns fat for 2-3 days! I remember him telling me to do Core 3 times a week and Cardio for not more than 20-30 mins!! (I moved to east coast within a month of training with him and never got into the groove of working out)

For the past few weeks, I have been concentrating on only Cardio and though I've lost 12 lbs (not much, I know ) I wasn't too sure if it would work in the long run. So last night I did a lot of CORE Exercises at the gym.. I literally got down and dirty (on the gym floor) and I could feel the blood pump even when I went to bed last night.
I woke up this morning and somehow, I lost the 4 lbs that were showing up again on my scale yesterday morning.. so is this really my Eureka moment?

What do you guys think? Less Cardio, more Core ?? Has it worked for anyone?
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #2  

I voted for cardio but only because it's all I do.

I don't really know how to do core exercises, plus any time I did do some stretching/yoga/etc. type exercises I didn't sweat! Sweat equals progress to me, even though I know it's not true!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #3  

And I meant to say first, 12lbs is AWESOME that you lost!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #4  

tee hee thanks elvis

Core exercises kick your butt.. you gotta do them the right way. Try this simple one if you have a minute.

Sit on the floor and keep your feet flat on the ground and your knees are up so you will look something like this |/\

(does it make sense? | is torso, /\ are your legs)

stretch your arms out parallel to the floor and then lean back 45 degrees !!

hold for 30 seconds! your whole body will vibrate, your heart rate will go up and u WILL work up a sweat.. that's the core working!!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I personally can't stick to a core workout. Mindless cardio in front of the tv is my workout bread and butter, along with yoga. However, I am trying to add in some more strength type workouts as well, boxing and kettlebells.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Do you mean "strength/resistance/weight training?" If I had to only pick one I'd cheat and pick exercises that combine the two, like kettlebell swings.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

I stick with what keeps me interested....I do cardio on the treadmill, any and all combinations of intervals...running, running longer, running faster, running inclines, HIIT intervals, walking, speed walking, walking hills...whatever keeps me interested that particular week/month...I get bored SERIOUSLY FAST and will quit something that doesn't hold my attention

and I figure, even if core turns out to be better, i'm getting more benefits doing cardio 4-5 times a week than losing interest and doing core 0 times a week
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrus29 View Post
tee hee thanks elvis

Core exercises kick your butt.. you gotta do them the right way. Try this simple one if you have a minute.

Sit on the floor and keep your feet flat on the ground and your knees are up so you will look something like this |/\

(does it make sense? | is torso, /\ are your legs)

stretch your arms out parallel to the floor and then lean back 45 degrees !!

hold for 30 seconds! your whole body will vibrate, your heart rate will go up and u WILL work up a sweat.. that's the core working!!
Thank you!! I will try that. I love your body drawings, so cute!!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I believe strongly in doing both cardio and strength training for the most healthy body.

I LOVE core work and have a pretty darn strong core.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I don't think I fully understand what you mean by CORE exercises? You don't just mean ab work, do you?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I've never been able to do just straight cardio. I do most of my workouts in the pool and while I do get a good cardio workout, I do mostly resistance movements. I also like kettlebell swings and yoga. Just running on a treadmill or aerobics never produced results and I got bored easily.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
I don't think I fully understand what you mean by CORE exercises? You don't just mean ab work, do you?
Core exercises are where you use your own body's resistance to burn fat. Core exercises work the muscles in your abs, hips, lower back and pelvis so that they work together to support your spine and keep your body stable.

Here's a chart I found online that might help.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #13  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Excuse me, but Radiojane you are looking fabuloussssss!

Thanks for posting that photo. I was a bit confused too. I wasn't sure if "CORE exercises" was a new term or if it was the same as core/ab work.

I believe in mixing up my workouts, but core work/Pilates are a foundation to my workouts, but I need it along with cardio (for heart health) and strength training (to keep me strong and toned) for a well-rounded routine.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #14  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide99 View Post
Thanks for posting that photo. I was a bit confused too. I wasn't sure if "CORE exercises" was a new term or if it was the same as core/ab work.
Yeah, me too.

So now, with clarification...doing a bunch of "core" exercises isn't going to lead me to fat loss. Your trainer sounds a little strange. Did they suggest weight training or other body exercises at all?

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-17-2013 at 02:29 AM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 153/146/115 (HW of 198)

Height: 5'2

I'm doing both, but definetly most concentrated on core...I know a thousand sit ups aren't going to show up on my body today, but I will be stronger to where I can do all the other exercises better.

I love spin class for the great cardio workout, but even there they say you're only doing 1/3 the work if you don't keep your core tight and focus on doing the motion with your core, and its true. For example, Stand on an elliptical machine and try not to throw your weight around. Hold your body still and JUST move your legs...it is dramatically more difficult and you suddenly realize how much harder you're working!
Bex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote