3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Exercise frequency...is this enough? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/278506-exercise-frequency-enough.html)

Smurlene 03-27-2013 12:27 AM

Exercise frequency...is this enough?

Due to factors in my life that are beyond my control, I only have three days a week when I can exercise...Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If I do strength training and aerobic exercise on Friday, stretching and aerobic exercise on Saturday, and training and aerobic exercise on Sunday do you think that will be enough to aid in weight loss?

I have PCOS and am following a low glycemic plan.

Also, I have a toddler and spend quite a bit of time being active with him.

Keep Moving Forward 03-27-2013 12:39 AM

It's gonna be different for everybody, of course, but I usually get in 3 to 4 workouts a week and I'm still consistently losing. You may have to do some experimenting and just see what works best for you. And really I think any thing is better than nothing!

Smurlene 03-27-2013 12:47 AM

Thanks! That is what I have started to think. I gave up on believing that I could fit in ANY regular exercise, but now I think that this might be the best thing I can do.

Changergirl 03-27-2013 04:57 AM

If that is all you can fit it, it is completely fine. Remember though, when you are trying to lose weight it is mainly about your diet. Exercise will help, but just a bit.

AlmostMe 03-27-2013 07:36 AM

Smurlene....The World Health Organisation suggests at least 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise as well as some strength building activity a couple of days a week. This is not to lose weight, but for health and vitality. You must be pretty close to that if not a little over with your three days a week. And don't forget that picking up that toddler requires a bit more strength each day - and being active in your general life definitely does count, too. You can probably also add some more activity to your day...pushing him in a stroller on a long walk...using the playground equipment yourself, etc.

Every person's body varies, for me exercise is essential to weight loss. But I enjoy it as well. I feel better and I have more energy. With a small boy around you're gonna need that fitness!!! Trust me! Mine is almost six now.

Smurlene 03-27-2013 07:51 PM

I have PCOS, so exercise is vital to me. Diet alone only goes so far.

Thank you so much!

I walk about five miles at work three-four days a week, too.

Maybe I am being too hard on myself in thinking that I have to really bust my butt with exercise. I know I need a bit more just to feel energetic, but maybe that doesn't mean a treadmill in the basement...

My toddler and I are super active. We go to zoos, parks, swimming pools, etc. There is no sitting around around here.

AlmostMe 03-28-2013 02:59 AM

Yeah...don't be too hard on yourself. It sounds like your three days of training at the weekend are perfect! You get to work on specific fitness areas and do some higher intensity exercise, which I do believe is important. And then in the rest of your life you're moving, moving, moving. That sounds like plenty.

Smurlene 03-28-2013 12:15 PM

Thanks! I think I have been abusing myself a bit too long....