3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Anyone ever take a TRX class? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/276116-anyone-ever-take-trx-class.html)

berryblondeboys 02-20-2013 05:09 PM

Anyone ever take a TRX class?

I've been working with a personal trainer over the last 7 weeks and she's had us work a couple times on the TRX straps. I LOVE IT. Well, I don't love it while I'm doing it, but they are great exercise that use body weight to work the whole body. You can make it easier or harder just on the position of your body.

It's been really great with the small group of ours as I am fairly fit, two are 'getting there' (but are quite a bit older) and one is really unfit. We can all do the same exercise and the same number of reps and get a bang up workout as we just vary the angle of the body - challenging ourselves more and more.

Anyway... I'm now intrigued.

My gym offers TRX classes, but it's $120 for 6 sessions (6 weeks). Worth it or not? I've been doing bodypump, but I've gotten a couple of injuries from it and I am thinking mixing it up a bit might be good - some free weights/ or class and then this.

OR, I could just buy the system and do it myself at home.... though I know myself. I'm terrible about working out on my own. Like REALLLLLY terrible.

For now, I've just done exercises with the PT, but have any of you taken the class? Thoughts?

Here's a link to the training/store of the TRX: http://www.trxtraining.com/

Riddy 02-20-2013 10:35 PM

I'm doing a whole session of it with a personal trainer on Friday. I'm intrigued, and a little nervous. I'll keep you posted.

berryblondeboys 02-20-2013 10:39 PM

I've been looking stuff up with it all day. Ideally, I would like to get two of these and then my husband and I could do it together (like we do bodypump together twice a week). We keep saying how we want to move away from that class to build onto better exercises (less isolation of muscles), but we haven't done it.

Of course, buying one is pricey enough. Buying two is getting into the, "are you sure we REALLY need this thing?" territory.

Riddy 02-20-2013 10:43 PM

I didn't know there was a home kit. I stumbled into this trainer at yoga class, and I'm curious to try something different. And I'm still trying to bust out of a 6 month fight with the scale and lose the last 25 pounds.

If I like it, I might be interested in buying the home set. I really don't have room for anything big, and that kit is TINY.

Riddy 02-22-2013 11:06 PM

OK, so I LOVED the session with the trainer. It wasn't easy, but he pushed me just enough. I was sweating, trembling, and my heart was pounding by the end of the hour. It seems to me like form is very important, but maybe that's just because it was my first time and I need to learn the form. He actually said he isn't a fan of TRX classes, because it's too easy to do bad form and not get the workout you want. Since you've already done it with the trainer, maybe it wouldn't be an issue for you.

I'm definitely going back to him - I really liked the personal attention and knowing he won't let me hurt myself. Budget will probably determine how many times I go back.

berryblondeboys 02-23-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddy (Post 4643178)
OK, so I LOVED the session with the trainer. It wasn't easy, but he pushed me just enough. I was sweating, trembling, and my heart was pounding by the end of the hour. It seems to me like form is very important, but maybe that's just because it was my first time and I need to learn the form. He actually said he isn't a fan of TRX classes, because it's too easy to do bad form and not get the workout you want. Since you've already done it with the trainer, maybe it wouldn't be an issue for you.

I'm definitely going back to him - I really liked the personal attention and knowing he won't let me hurt myself. Budget will probably determine how many times I go back.

Cool... Well, I'm not too worried about form. I've been lifting weights and doing body based strength training for a long time and have gotten tips on form and such. I tend to have good form most of the time (especially after injuring my shoulder last spring and working with a physical therapist for awhile).

I am trying to decide on buying one or taking a session of classes first. I might take the session of classes first. It's just 5-6 people, so you get a lot of attention and then after that, I would really feel comfortable on my own.

I bet you'll be sore today!

And I love that you can take it with you. Would have been handy on our month long vacation last year in Croatia!

Riddy 02-23-2013 04:02 PM

Holy crap I'm sore! My arms and legs aren't too bad, but my ENTIRE TORSO hurts. Like it hurts to breathe hurts. :dizzy: I'm still going back - I really liked the whole experience. I'm still shocked when I LIKE a workout - this new me is still so new...

I bet you could do it at home and get good results. So if you think you WILL do it at home, I say go for it. I think it would be great to do the classes first, though - get some more experience on the equipment, learn some more exercises, and have a little more time with an expert watching you. And it's certainly cheaper than the personal trainer!

berryblondeboys 02-23-2013 04:23 PM

I did a lighter cardio/bands class a day after doing TRX this past week. It's 30 cardio and 30 bands and some floor work - abs/back. I usually breeze through it. On Thursday? I couldn't do some of the core work because I was sore and the muscles were like NO WAY! So, I know I worked it well the day before!

Gonna talk with my husband and see what he thinks on buying versus class as he's the penny pincher.

osaunt 02-23-2013 04:49 PM

I've been considering getting a suspension training system for home use too. Check these out:
http://www.amazon.com/LifelineUSA-4-...I2INYOULGYHDAA

Great reviews and more affordable than TRX.