Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Smile Just Started the C25K Training!

This was something I wanted to start way back in 2009, but I simply wasn't ready. I was at 285 and was still struggling a bit with asthma. I tried again back in 2011 when I was around 260 but could barely make it ten yards without feeling like I was going to die.

It crossed my mind again a few months back when I participated in a cancer walk for my husband's work. I managed the walk just fine, but envied those that did the running portion. I was in the 240's at the time and felt that I might still be too heavy to exert myself in such a way (I've never had problems with my knees and I'd like it to stay that way!).

But now? I'm close to 220 and have been doing a lot of walking. Several weeks back I actually felt like throwing a little jogging into the mix, and by the new year I was hoping I could do my first quarter mile non-stop. No luck with that, lol, but I was able to make it an eighth of a mile. And ten days ago, I was finally able to push myself into the quarter mile. It took about three minutes at my slow pace, but I was immensely proud of myself. I probably haven't done that much since junior high!

So yesterday the C25K program popped in my head again. Maybe I'm ready? My husband was out for the night, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity. I already had the app on phone, so I set up a music playlist and walked out the door. I followed the instructions, and somehow made it through 8 whole minutes of running in-between all the sets of walking. And I didn't die! No asthma attacks, no pain, no feeling like I was going to collapse! I won't pretend it was easy, but it was definitely easier than I expected.

I'm going to keep going. I've wanted to be a runner for ages and I'm finally taking the first real steps. Although I may have to repeat some of the weeks, I can't wait to see how far I'll have come in the next few months.

So excited!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Go you! And from what you've said you are DEFINITELY ready. Take your time, don't worry about repeating weeks, but you can probably do more than you think. It's scary facing the first of the long runs, but just keep going.

It's really helped me. I was supposed to do the first of the final runs today, but hills (I usually run on more less flat) and trying to run through inches of mud got me. For the first time I actually quit in the middle of one of my runs. Running in 3 inch mud up a hill is hard!! So I'm just gonna count today as a brisk walk and try again on Friday.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

C25K graduate here....I started when I was above 220. It really works just remember to rest on the days off. I'm going to start training for my first half marathon thanks to C25K. Also, get the app (for Ipods and android). It was invaluable and I could play my own music.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #4  

You inspired me to download the app after I saw you post on the other thread.

Can it really take a couch potato (I walk, not run) and make them into a runner?

I try to exercise every single day to earn extra calories but it looks like this has specific rest days.

I am so intrigued!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/261.8/230

Height: 5'5

I started last week but decided to restart week 1 over this week I did w1d2 today and I was proud I felt good and the run was a breeze. I'm 270pounds and I was able to get through it with no pain last week or this week. I actually started the program in may of 2012 and quit in aug and did fairly good but good ole laziness kicked in and I quit but I'm back at it again. I love to see people at the track look at me crazy b/c this big girl can jog need I mention pushing a 30pound 2yr old and 30 pound jogging stroller that's 60 pounds of pushing my arms hurt more then my legs... LOL
Wendita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #6  
Trying for normal

@ elvislover - yes, it really works! I'm not a couch potato, but I have never run in my life. This is my second time through it, so I sort of sped through the weeks, but the first time I did every single run the number of times I was supposed to and finished the programme by running in an actual 5K race.

Unfortunately, I let my fitness dip and started smoking again- so I restarted. Not only does it improve fitness, but for me it gave me the confidence and belief that I could do it after a lifetime of telling myself "I'm just not a runner"

I am still not a FAST runner. But I'm getting better. I read recently that you can improve 2 secs per mile for every pound lost. Doesn't sound like much , but when you weigh as much as I do there's room for a BIG boost in time!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I'm doing the Zombies Run 5k Training and love it! I started my second week yesterday and am really excited to see how I do!!

I have never been a runner and never thought I would/could be. It is my goal to make it through the program and start running 5k's!

On days off, are you supposed to not exercise at all? Because I get antsy if I haven't done anything. So on off days I do BLWL Yoga, which busts my butt at this point. I just don't want to harm my progress on the 5k Training.

I'm excited you are doing your program! Here's to determination and successes!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #8  
Trying for normal

RavenWolf - on rest days you can do whatever you want, yoga's an awesome choice. I just would avoid running or high impact stuff while your body is getting used to running. I personally believe in one rest day a week, but on my rest day I might go for a walk or take my son swimming, I just don't plan to run, jump or lift on that day.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #9  

This sounds awesome! I won't be able to start for a few weeks but I am definitely going to put this on my goals list for 2013.

Does anyone know, is it easier to run on a treadmill vs. trying to do this outside?
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #10  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Good for you elladorine!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
This sounds awesome! I won't be able to start for a few weeks but I am definitely going to put this on my goals list for 2013.

Does anyone know, is it easier to run on a treadmill vs. trying to do this outside?
I love doing it outside and having natural inclines/declines for my training. Plus I don't have to worry about changing speeds on the treadmill. Top that off with fresh air and sunshine and outdoors is easier and makes me happier!

Then again, I have NEVER been a treadmill girl, myself!

AlmostMe, thank you for getting back to me and answering my question!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote