3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Walking--do you suck it in and hold 'em up? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/273769-walking-do-you-suck-hold-em-up.html)

elvislover324 01-19-2013 12:56 PM

Walking--do you suck it in and hold 'em up?

Your stomach and arms that is! :woops:

When I walk, whether on my treadmill or outside on the sidewalk, I always suck in my stomach (as best as I can) and walk with my arms up on my side.

Why do I do it?? I don't know! :dizzy: I just always have?

berryblondeboys 01-19-2013 01:20 PM

You mean like placing your arms on your hips?

As far as sucking it is. That's actually called "engaging your core". So, that's good. Though, I think for your body, letting your arms swing naturally is probably a better position. And it will burn more calories.

Here's an article and an imbedded link on good posture for walking.

http://www.the-fitness-walking-guide...king-tips.html

I walk a lot - it's such an overlooked great exercise. people want to get through it fast just to start running. Running is not necessary to get a good workout.

livelaughlovesunshin 01-19-2013 03:40 PM

I don't suck in my stomach..This is going to sound so weird but ever since I was in 5th grade (10 years old) I have been sucking in my butt. LOL!!!! I still catch myself doing it all the time now.

vabs 01-19-2013 06:17 PM

I try to keep my back straight, but I don't suck in (unless someone is looking at me... lol). I keep one hand on my tote bag strap and the other is holding my iPod, so my form is probably not so great!

elvislover324 01-19-2013 09:06 PM

Ooops sorry, somehow I missed these replies. It's hard navigating this site with my phone!

berryblondeboys, thanks for that link! I'm going to check it out as soon as I am done with this reply. As far as holding up my arms, it's more like holding them up like I am power walking (so bent at the elbow and my hands out front, does that make sense lol?) even though I am not power walking. I just always hold them up like that but have no idea why. I'm weird! I wish I could run. I couldn't run when I was a little kid or young adult, it never came natural to me. It's on my list for my next life though! Walking will have to do for this one.

Livelaughsunshine, I just laughed out loud and scared my dog! Sucking your butt in was so funny to me!

Vabs, too funny about someone looking at you!! I wish I could suck every side and angle in myself!

Babybat 01-19-2013 09:07 PM

I don't do neither, but now I might try sucking it in a little :D thanks for the tips everyone

vabs 01-19-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elvislover324 (Post 4597953)
I wish I could suck every side and angle in myself!

LOL :rofl: If only!!!

berryblondeboys 01-19-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vabs (Post 4597834)
I try to keep my back straight, but I don't suck in (unless someone is looking at me... lol). I keep one hand on my tote bag strap and the other is holding my iPod, so my form is probably not so great!

Really, if you are wanting to walk for exercise, get a bag you can wear on your back or on your waist to free up your hands. At least with your ipod you can swing your arms.

If you are always holding a tote in your arms, you will get out of balance which could eventually lead to injury.

Now, if this is walking around the city or walk/commute, that's a bit different than using walking for fitness as I doubt you are walking to a sweat if you are walking to and from work.

vabs 01-20-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4598017)
Really, if you are wanting to walk for exercise, get a bag you can wear on your back or on your waist to free up your hands. At least with your ipod you can swing your arms.

If you are always holding a tote in your arms, you will get out of balance which could eventually lead to injury.

Now, if this is walking around the city or walk/commute, that's a bit different than using walking for fitness as I doubt you are walking to a sweat if you are walking to and from work.

Oh, that's a great idea! I have a backpack I can use already, too. It is 'for exercise' walking, and I take my water, phone, misc stuff, etc with me. So it's never really that heavy, but why not use what I've already got!

RavenWolf 01-20-2013 10:38 AM

I haven't been sucking in my gut when walking, but I will now! Thanks for the reminder!!