3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Starting the 30 Day Shred (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/271962-starting-30-day-shred.html)

MelodyLeigh 01-20-2013 04:47 PM

Here are my measurements before beginning the Shred with weights:

Arm: 11
Chest: 37.5
Stomach: 34.5
Butt: 38.5
Thigh: 22

Weight: 130.6

I'm buying 3 and 5 lb sets tonight. L1D1, here I come!

StephanieM 01-20-2013 06:53 PM

Hey guys, I'm just coming here to tell you I don't think I'll be finishing 30DS. I haven't been able to work out in over a week because of the allergic reaction and the medication I'm on. I've surprisingly lost about 4 lbs this week though, not sure if that's because of the medication or not.

Since I'm in the mid 160's now I know I need to get back to focussing on my strength training. 30DS was fun for awhile to change things up, but I want to get serious about building muscle so I don't end up skinny fat. It was fun getting to know you guys! I might throw in 30DS on my off days for a cardio workout though :)

ImImportant 01-20-2013 07:40 PM

StephanieM Good luck with your new plan! I hope to see you around in the forums.

I hope you feel much better soon!

penmage 01-20-2013 07:58 PM

Alrighty Steph. I'll see you in the 20's section!

Edited later to add:
I think I'm going to skip the video tonight. I'm still hurting from my fall yesterday. I managed to hit them all- arm, hip, back, and tailbone! Ouch.

takingcontrol 01-21-2013 07:57 AM

:( three days out for me :(

Looking forward to being back on it tomorrow though, and am going to start from L2D1 and complete a full 10 days in a row.

I've been hit with some chest infection and heavy cold, I was in bed all day on Saturday and although I've been out about Sunday and today I've been coughing up green stuff (lovely!) and generally feeling off balance and really bunged up in my head, the thought of jumping about/ bending over isn't fun!

This evening I feel much better though, just tired and with a sore throat, so I'm sure that in another 24 hours I'll be well and truly itching to get back on the shred, I'm missing it!!!!

Well done to those still going :)

MelodyLeigh 01-21-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takingcontrol (Post 4600120)
This evening I feel much better though, just tired and with a sore throat, so I'm sure that in another 24 hours I'll be well and truly itching to get back on the shred, I'm missing it!!!!

I am missing it too, and I only skipped the workout yesterday! I've decided that Sundays will be my rest days. I've been sore all week and have decided that I'd rather finish strong in 5 weeks instead of risk injury for 4 weeks and 2 days!

I'll be back on it tonight and it'll be L1D1 because I would like to challenge myself by using weights throughout the 30 days.

Stay motivated, everyone!

littlegreen 01-21-2013 01:17 PM

I'm taking a break today & just going on a walk instead - I figure seven days in a row is probably enough! (plus, I know if I take a break right before starting L2, I'll never get back on the wagon.)

Good luck with your plan, StephanieM! & it's awesome to see that so many people are joining!

MelodyLeigh 01-21-2013 11:34 PM

So, tonight was a bit discouraging. It felt like the workout was ten times harder since I was using weights... I had to stop a few times during the 2nd sets of the squat and press and the anterior raises with the side lunges because of how weak my arms became.

I bought 3 and 5 lb dumbbells (starting out with 3), but I am thinking that I should have started with 2 lbs instead. :(

It's just discouraging to feel like I'm getting used to the workout after 3 days and then be knocked back down once I start using weights.

I might use weights on the first set of each arm exercise and then drop them for the second set so I can get through it.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Despite all that, I did get through the workout, so L1D1 complete!

penmage 01-22-2013 12:00 AM

L1D6 complete! I know she makes a comment about how she bets people on day 5/6/7 are seeing a huge difference in endurance, but I don't. Other than minimal improvement in amount of push ups, I'm not noticing much of a change. Maybe I'm expecting too much of a difference. I don't know. Either way, kinda bummed. I'm doing the level right now without weights, but as soon as I finish day 10 I'm going to start level 1 over again with weights before moving on to level 2. Hopefully I'll see some improvement by then!

littlegreen 01-22-2013 01:14 AM

MelodyLeigh - I also find the weights sections MUCH harder, even on day 9. That's the only part that I still have to stop and catch my breath on. (& I also kind of wish I had lighter weights!) On the other hand, I definitely have noticed some improvement - at the beginning I had to pause the workout constantly, but now I can just about get through a segment.

Also, this isn't really an update since I haven't done the Shred today, but I just tried on a TON of my clothes, and they fit so so much better. I haven't really lost weight (& that's not my objective) but my body just looks so much firmer already - and I'm still on level 1! I can't wait to see how much my body improves with levels 2 & 3.

ImImportant 01-22-2013 09:46 AM

I took a break for a couple of days. I will start Level 3 tonight.

littlegreen 01-22-2013 12:03 PM

Level One DONE. I still find some of the strength exercises incredibly hard, & I'll never be sure if I'm doing the bicycle crunches right, but I'm moving onto Level 2 tomorrow either way! I need some new Jillian speeches to memorise.

ImImportant 01-22-2013 12:34 PM

littlegreen Based on a tip from one of the people on this thread, I put Jillian on mute and I listen to my iPod or a show on my iPad while I'm working out. I find it helps.

littlegreen 01-22-2013 12:40 PM

ImImportant - thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try that. I found Jillian's speeches kind of motivating to start with, but now whenever she says 'Just a couple more!' I'm always like 'LIAR.'

Candeka 01-22-2013 02:41 PM

I have started the 30 day shred several times - and have never finished it once. Because of this, I can practically quote Jillian and I think that is why I stopped doing it - her voice drove me insane! I started the whole Ipod thing last week and OMG does it make it easier! I have faith I will actually be able to finish it now !