Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #1  

Height: 5'10"

how or what kind of exercise can i do in order to lose weight? i am still utterly lost here and need serious guidance, can anyone help? i also still have no idea how to diet, i see so many different things, too many carbs, not enough carbs, startch? what is that? i am lost please help me before i give up

a friend of mine gave me some old stuff like a exercise bike and a weight bench with a couple bars and weights. is this what i need to start? how long do i need to use these? any and all advice is welcome cause i am confused on what to do, start to do, etc...
Carbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i can tell you what i've done...i try to keep sugar and wheat low...not carbs in general for ME, because it's sugar and wheat that kick off mad cravings and hunger...but that's my body and everyone is different...i also watch calories and try to keep between 1500-1600...

for exercise i like to run...it's one of the most efficient in terms of calories burned vs. time it takes to burn them...so i decided to run because i dont have a huge amount of time per day to exercise...i also am on my feet all day at work but i dont count that as anything...i run on the treadmill and just started where i could...how long could i run to start with? how fast could i start at? and then go from there...increasing difficulty etc as i went along...i'm still not a long distance runner by any means, mostly due to asthma, but every day i will get on the treadmill at the gym and push my body as hard as i can

so far it's been working...slowly, but working
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

One of the things I would suggest is to just focus on healthier habits now. I know you probably want the weight off RIGHT NOW, but taking your time to ease yourself into a healthier lifestyle will probably be beneficial in the long run.

It doesn't have to take you seven years before you get to the big weight loss point like I did, but taking your time can really help make these changes permanent! I don't regret taking seven years to get to my big weight loss, because it really wasn't that difficult to change the one thing I needed to start losing weight (and now to maintain! I've been here for a year )

Try focusing on making healthier food choices OR exercising. Which one do you like? Do you have an exercise you enjoy that you can do regularly? Do you have healthier foods you want to incorporate?

For food, just focus on eating healthier. I wouldn't worry too much about macros and calories JUST YET. Calories are important, but if you're choosing healthier foods you'll cut calories without even trying. Once you get used to eating healthy, it's MUCH easier to start watching your portions and calories because then you start to choose even healthier foods to get more bang for your buck!

When it comes to exercise, find something you like! If you enjoy it then you're more likely to do it even if you feel like sleeping. Find an exercise you enjoy and do it regularly! You'll eventually build up strength AND it'll become a habit.

If you focus on ONE thing first, make it a habit and then add another it becomes much easier (especially if you feel so lost!) to have a healthy lifestyle overall. Just making little changes will get you the results. Sure, you might not drop all the weight in a few months, but that's not really healthy anyway
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

I guess we are all different... because "starting slowly" and just choosing one or the other... eating well or exercising... would never work for me. When I go for it, I go for it. And that does NOT mean I go on extreme diets... I don't and, in fact for me personally, I don't believe in diets at all but just eating healthfully and watching the calories. I'm not a "calorie counter" but that is because I am fairly well educated on calorie counts of foods so know which I can eat more of and which I have to be careful about. Since it does not sound from your post that this is the case with you, you might need to count your calories.

Whatever plan you choose, just find one that works for you and stick with it. You can do this.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Start with walking. And I don't mean just go for walks, I mean inject more walking into your lifestyle. Drive less. Walk to the convenience store instead of driving. When you do drive park a little further away than you usually do. When you go to the grocery store don't go down each aisle one by one. Go to aisle one, then to aisle 12, then back to aisle 2, it keeps you walking.

I wear a pedometer all day long and try to log 10,000 steps each day.

Of course you have to make better choices in your diet too. It's very simple to say "eat more good foods and less bad foods" but we all know how difficult that is to implement. For me, I try to avoid eating carbs if I can. I try to satisfy my sweet tooth with fruit and a small piece of dark chocolate at the end of the day. I fill my plate with veggies, protein, and a very small amount of carbs. That's what works for me.

Lastly, watch out for fad eating. Don't eat processed foods, avoid sodas both regular and artificially sweetened. Avoid sugar. Make it a point to eat something raw every day. And don't worry if you can't implement these things all at once, it takes time to build healthy lifestyle skills. It took me a long time to quit artificial sweetners and sodas but I can tell you that I'm free of their power over me and now I can focus on building a new health skill. Good luck.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #6  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

It just depends on what you're willing to give up and put effort into. Like everyone before me has said, everyone's different.
Walking with music has become something I HAVE to do most everyday. Not because I want to lose weight, but because it's a habit. After having that habit for around a year, I started running, and now I'm a runner, even though I'm still working on the habit part... But I think music goes a long way when working out, especially if you choose music you really like or is really upbeat and encouraging.Also try to mix it up a bit every now and then. The same path gets boring after a while... so go a different way!
You don't have to walk though, you can do anything that sounds the least bit interesting. You can swim, you can dance, you can bike, you can play various sports with friends, or you can even work in your yard or garden for a while every day. You can do a little bit of everything, as long as you can keep it a habit.
If you're able to keep on it, you'll find weight loss is more of a lifestyle change than anything.
As for diets, what is something you're eating that you don't really need? Again, that depends on the person. For me, it's grains, for some, it's meat, as well as the general cutting down of going out to eat/eating sweets, and even taking up a bit of cooking yourself.
It seems like a lot, but just take your time! The best weight-loss is the slow kind. It's the kind that lasts. You'll just need to be persistent!
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #7  

Height: 5'10"

well a friend of mine gave me a old exercise bike and a weight bench and some weights, how can i intergrate that into a daily lifestyle? i have been searching the internet for healthy recipies so i can make some decent food. my issue is now that with a fixed income will i be bale to make the changes i need. it is extrremely expensive for anything here in my city, how can 150 bucks last a whole month? i just need to find a way before i say forget it and continue on my path of destruction..
Carbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I would start with getting on the bike.

The longer you ride, the more calories you'll burn. I'd recommend starting with 30 min a day at first, more if you are still comfortable, less if it's too difficult.

There are some great weightlifting resources on the web. For example:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis.../weight101.htm
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #9  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

First of all, your friend sounds like a nice one to give you exercise equipment! I agree that the bike is a good place to start, and I have learned a lot about weight lifting and good form on YouTube.

Any additional movement/activity you can add on each day is great- just make sure you are safe and go at a time/frequency/pace that pushes you but doesn't burn you out too fast
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

What kind of weights did you get? Free weights or an actual machine?

Getting on the bike is a good place to start as it's pretty hard to do that wrong. Weight lifting is a little trickier because you could injure yourself. I would find a book on strength training/weight lifting for beginners that gives you basic exercises...or you could just check out youtube. There are lots of fitness channels out there now that give you step-by-step video instruction on how to perform moves and even have a routine already laid out for you. Practice with body weight until your form is good (use a mirror if possible). After that, you can start adding some weight to make the exercises harder.

Honestly though, you'll get a great workout from bodyweight alone. Start with things like squats, pushups, lunges, will give you a great burn if you haven't done them before. After a couple of weeks using those moves you should be comfortable enough to add weight.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One of our common recommendations for women are the New Rules of Lifting for Women but I've heard from men and women that the New Rules of Lifting is a great guide as well. The New Rules of Lifting for Women is specifically designed to focus on areas that are often underdeveloped for women but the New Rules of Lifting is supposedly an all around great book. You might want to see if your local library has a copy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

Carbie - I've read all your posts [yes, really], and the frustration in your voice is reaching me several hundred miles away! Many folks around here are in simliar situations - shocked, angry, scared, at their weight. Frustrated with too many plans and ideas, and yet, nothing is clicking. Limited incomes [some even more limited than yours, believe it or not]. and no cooking skills.

As others have pointed out, change won't happen in a day, unfortunately. And I agree with those who say to just pick SOMETHING and do it. A very wise friend reminds me [regularly, thank goodness!] that it takes 21 days to break a habit, and 21 days to build a new one. So, no matter what you do, this is a journey, not a race.

It looks like you've gotten great advice on the exercise thing - start with the bike, and research the weight training to the point where you're reasonably sure you can do it without hurting yourself.

Let's talk about food. You asked in one post about what a whole foods diet is. First of all, let's think of a 'diet' as what it really is - the way a person eats, not a plan that someone imposes on you. Someone who eats a whole food diet chooses things that are minimally processed - like fresh or frozen fruit and veggies, fresh/frozen meat, fish, eggs, lentils, black beans, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, and so on. Is everyone perfect with this? absolutely not.

So, with only one or two cruises down the aisles in your grocery store [for canned or dried beans, whole grain pasta, brown rice, olive oil, ketchup, mustard, maybe some broth], all these things are found on the perimeter of the store. EVERY store. They set the stores up this way.

My starting suggestion to you - think about what you LIKE TO EAT. was there something special your mom made that you'd like to have again? something you ate a friend's house or a restaurant? make a post - someone around here will help you figure out how to make it.

Try something new each time you do your grocery shopping. For right now, today, I'd suggest something incredibly easy - roasted zucchini. They're not expensive, and they're easy to cook. And once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to cook almost any veggie this way, plus meat alongside of it.

turn your oven on - set it at about 375. line a flat pan with sides with some foil or spray it with cooking spray or spread a little oil on it [this is to help with cleanup - any of these will help keep the food from sticking].

wash the zucchini [two small ones or one medium one - i like the small ones]. cut the ends off. cut them in half longways, then cut each half into chunks about half the size of your thumb. pile them onto the pan.

sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper [pepper to taste - you won't need more salt than a pinch], and drizzle with a teaspoon or two of oil [i prefer olive oil, but any vegetable oil is fine]. toss everything together.

Spread the zucchini out so that it's a single layer. Put it in the oven, and set the timer for 15 minutes. When it goes off, open the door, and check them. If they're not soft with a little bit of brown on the edges, back they go for another 5 minutes. no matter what, they should need no more than 30 minutes to cook.

you can eat them as is, or sprinkle with a little cheese. you can also eat them as a salad - just cool them to room temp and sprinkle with some vinegar. if you want to add some chopped onion, pepper, chopped tomato and chick peas, you'll have yourself a nice little meal.

hey, it's a start! and you can do it
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

And I don't know your personal situation but do you have health insurance? If so, it might cover nutritionist visits. If you know nothing about eating right, nutrition, etc, a nutritionist can be a great start.

If not, your library can be a great resource but where to start? I think a lot of people start with calorie counting because it is so simple. Myfitnesspal.com is a great site for calorie counting. Although it isn't a calorie counting diet, I thought the principles from the South Beach Diet were pretty solid, especially as an introductory to healthy eating.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 253/226/145

Height: 5'9

I would recommend tracking your food for a week. Everything that goes in your mouth is written down or use an app on your phone. Then go back and see what you can change. Get on the exercise bike and ride not all out but a good pace where you feel like your working and you couldn't sing a song after 20mins. Set yourself some short term goals. Get up and move, if your doing dishes march or squat every thirty seconds.
wendychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

calorie counting and intuitive eating work best for me
for exercise I like Zumba and just plain walking the most

but we all are different, which means we all lose weight differently
I can not stress this enough
it's trial and error, and accepting the fact that it's not a diet you'll just quit when you get to your goal weight (and inevitably gain everything back and then some)
it's a lifestyle that you'll maintain forever
redreine is offline   Reply With Quote