Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/320/280

Height: 6'0 Feet

Question How do I deal with morning leg stiffness?

I walk 3 miles daily and I am trying to increase my distance but when I wake up in the morning and I go to the grocery a block away my legs feel like I can't even walk a block. Its like all my muscles and joints turned to stone. They do eventually soften up and relax but the morning period after I wake up is like I never walked before in my life.

Does anyone have any good tips to relieve leg stiffness in the morning?

Thanks For Your Input
NoPainNoLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #2  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Should I assume you stretch thoroughly before you go? Like, reaching and touching your toes (or as close to them as you can) sitting or standing, and then while standing, holding onto your feet from behind. What all do you do before leaving?
You may need to also give your legs a break. Especially the morning after a long walk. Legs put up with a lot, they need a break every now and then!
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

Stretching was my first thought as well. I run 3 times per week and I stretch everyday and ALWAYS before and after my runs.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/320/280

Height: 6'0 Feet

I will try streching but this only occurs right as I wake up not after a walk, after a walk I feel great.
NoPainNoLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #5  

Try to eat a banana every day. Potassium helps to counteract the lactic acid build up in your muscles. Lactic acid builds up when we don't exercise our muscles. I found that eating a banana nips leg cramping/stiffness right in the butt. Also make sure you are hydrated enough as well as stretching after you are warmed up a little and then after you complete your work out.
purplecho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPainNoLoss View Post
I will try streching but this only occurs right as I wake up not after a walk, after a walk I feel great.
Even though you have no pain after your walks, if you stretch afterwards, you may find that you are less stiff in the mornings.

Another suggestion is to get fitted for proper walking shoes if you do not have some already or if yours are old.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

You might try an epsom salt soak and some leg stretching before bed, see how you feel the following morning.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I agree with leg stretches before bed as well as after your walks. How long have you been walking? Your body may just be adjusting to the change of being sedentary to walking as well... it does take some time.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Be very careful about static stretching in the morning - it can lead to serious injury. Personally, I would work on overall flexibility (like incorporating yoga) and would do only dynamic stretching in the morning.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

do dynamic, mobilty exercises first thing in the am

this will 100% relieve the stiffess and you will be good to go!

do leg swings, body weight squats to loosen your hips, inchworms, starfishes, and any other movements specific to stiff areas. google mobility movements/exercises or dynamic warmup for specific directions...these shouldnt take more than a few minutes and are not strenuous.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/230/120

Height: 5'4"

I have the same issue and have noticed that gentle warm-ups is the best thing. I've also noticed that if I wait a couple of hours to walk then my legs and feet are warmed up enough to handle it and I don't have to do specific warm-ups, though this doesn't always fit my schedule. Good luck!
Coffeelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #12  

I would also suggest dynamic stretching before your walks or first thing when you get up regardless of whether you're walking. Static stretching before running/walking (especially in the morning) is pretty controversial....and most lean towards staying away from it.

Are you stiff in the mornings regardless of walking, or do you feel it is due to the exercise? You might need a supplement (someone mentioned potassium, for example).

I get MLD massage - and honestly, I feel great in terms of stiffness ever since! It's awesome. Not everyone needs it, but it's worth checking out!
HeatherTom is offline   Reply With Quote