At home workout?

• I have this weird thing going on in my head where I refuse to go to a gym until I lose 10 more lbs. I know that it must sound absolutely ridiculous but it's a weird problem that I have. So my question is this:
    Are there any at home exercises that are actually effective? I don't have any equipment other than two 5lb weights.*
    Are there any DVDs that you've had success with? A while back I bought a Pilates DVD and the few times I've used it haven't gone well. The actual moves are fine but when I do the deep breathing it kills my chest/neck.

Any suggestions would great please!*

(and again, I KNOW not going because of ten pounds is dumb but I can't get past it)
  • Push ups, planks, yoga, lifting your dumbbells, walking, jogging, running, hiking, swimming in a lake or ocean near you, biking.

Tons of stuff you can do. I workout 6 days a week and don't set foot in a gym.
  • Walk Away the Pounds. No equipment necessary, though some of her videos suggest them.
  • I'd say by far the most popular video on this site is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred - it incorporates cardio & strength for an all around workout & had three levels so you can increase w/ time. All you need is a little space & a set of weights so you are good to go - the dvd is only about $7 now on amazon too.

I'd also recommend buying her no more trouble zones & banish fat, boost metabolism dvd's. One focuses on weights/strength and the other on cardio. Plus, they are longer workouts [about 45 min] so you can alternate them. I had great results using these.
  • I think there are a lot of great suggestions here. If your goal is to eventually join a gym, I understand how you are feeling, I used to tell myself the same all the time. The best thing to start is to go for a tour at your local gym, sometimes that eases the anxiety. My gym has signs everywhere that say 'No Judgement, every size welcome here', and also one of the rules is to not intimidate others with glares or making fun etc. Maybe there is a nearby gym for women only as well. I find myself not even noticing others and I just go about my routine and before you know it, your workout is finished.

• Thanks everyone! I bought the 40 Day Shred and will start it tomorrow. I'm a little worried because there's always that "what if it doesn't work" voice in my head, but I'll give it a go!