Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #61  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

gatorgirl6 - Definitely take it to a bike shop. Better to be safe than sorry.

It'll take time to learn your gears/shifters and get used to them. I'm still mastering mine. My husband is a cyclist says his are just second nature now and he doesn't even think about what to shift to anymore. I can't wait to get to that point! lol!

Congrats again!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #62  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

The bike shop said that my dad and I did an ok job putting it together, but there were things that should be fixed before I take it for a ride. They actually said they are going to take it apart and put it back together again and do a full tune up (adjusting the brakes and gears, etc.). I get it back on Wednesday at 5pm. Ugh... I just want to ride it already!!! But I am happy that it will be in tip top shape.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #63  
waisting away

I think I'm in love!

I got my bike today and took it for a ride when I got home (after installing a bike odometer and water bottle holder). I did a leisurely 6 mi ride that took me about 35 min. I understand changing gears better now, but I still need to work on it. I just stayed in neighborhoods so that I didn't have to deal with cars, pedestrians, etc while I was trying to learn my new bike. It really is an easy ride. The only two problems I have are (1) it is hard for me to get my front derailleur into its largest gear. It makes a funny noise and doesn't feel right, so I just switch it back down to the middle gear and (2) my lady bits are a little sore. Any hints for either problem? As for the lady bits, my seat is really tiny, so I bought a squishy thing to slide over it. I'm not in a lot of pain. Will I just get used to the seat or should I try tilting it? I really don't know...

All in all, a good day. YAY! NEW BIKE!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #64  
Are we there yet?

S/C/G: 295/ticker/160

Height: 5'7''

Can I jump into this thread really late? I just bought a bike at the end of August when I got back to school (I don't have a car, so originally I just bought it to make getting to class on time/lugging home groceries easier). I've started getting into it and I'm trying to add in longer rides - so far my longest is only about 7 miles, just because I'm not used to the area and haven't investigated new places to ride yet.

Do any of you have experience with bike trainers or rollers? I want to try to incorporate some indoor cycling, since so far biking is the only exercise I 100% look forward to and can't wait to do every day! I've heard frightening things (and seen too many videos) about the rollers, but they do seem more sturdy (most of the trainers don't seem to list weight limits, but since I'm hovering around 275 right now it's something I'm definitely worried about).

Patrizia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #65  

Height: 5'11

I have been cycling for a little over a year. Love being outside. Could barely do 10 miles and now have completed 2 centuries ) The last one kicked my a@@ , climbing 5000 ft. I have a carbon road bike, a fuji, was reasonably priced. I try to ride a home on the trainer but get bored easily://
Thkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #66  
Sassafrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl6 View Post
I think I'm in love!
(1) it is hard for me to get my front derailleur into its largest gear. It makes a funny noise and doesn't feel right, so I just switch it back down to the middle gear It'll take you some time to learn your gears. Also, it may be dependent on when you're changing gears, how much pressure you're applying, etc. If you are in the largest/hardest in the front and the largest/hardest in the back you're putting a lot of pressure/tension on your chain which will make shifting gears really hard. If you look at your chain you'll be able to see visually that it's at a diagonal. (2) my lady bits are a little sore. Any hints for either problem? As for the lady bits, my seat is really tiny, so I bought a squishy thing to slide over it. I'm not in a lot of pain. Will I just get used to the seat or should I try tilting it? I really don't know...Buy bike shorts. They can be expensive, but they're worth it in my opinion. You'll want a smaller seat if you're doing longer distances. Oddly enough, it's more comfortable the smaller the seat. You also may not have it adjusted correctly. I wouldn't tilt it, but you want to make sure your sit bones are on the seat and not your lady bits. I have a shorter torso so my seat is as forward as it can go. And yes, it will take you some time to get used to the feel of a bike.
Thkdiff I hope to get to the point of being able to do a century. I have my first sanctioned ride/race this weekend! Very excited and very nervous!

Patrizia I use an indoor spin bike and do spin class. Totally different than my actual bike, but I love it.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #67  
waisting away

Fatitude - It is my bones, and not my actual lady bits. Are they supposed to be on the smaller portion of the seat or the wider part? Maybe I need to adjust it forward some...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #68  
Sassafrass

You want your sit bones on the wider part of your seat so your weight is distributed evenly. You should be able to look down and see the nose of your bike.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 142/140/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi, All,

Any suggestions on helmets? I know I need to get one, but unless I get a cheap one at the Co-Op, I do not know what to look for, or a brand name. I am going to Saskatoon, next week, which would be a good time to look, with end-of-summer sales and all. While I hate to crush my hair (vanity, I know!) I am willing to do it to save crushing my brain! So I have never had one, and I am sure, shopping at Wal-Mart, there won't be anyone working there with any knowledge to ask. Thanks, in advance, for ANY guidance you can provide!
sandramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #70  
waisting away

I move my seat forward and did a 10.25 mi bike ride today. I still need some bike shorts, for sure, but the ride was fine without them. I am going to have to venture out to some trails soon. I have just been riding around neighborhoods in the area. I would like to not have to think about cars and be able to get my speed up a little faster.

sandramac - I have no idea really about helmets. I bought mine from walmart and just made sure that it fit right. Helmet Fit Website. If you are worried about it, just go to a local bike shop and they will help you pick one out.

Last edited by gatorgirl6; 09-15-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #71  

I am going to get one but it will be for my riding to plain paths. Perhaps I should go out too often like for shopping or other stuff;these are my coming plans.
fatsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

gatorgirl6 - Glad you got the bike fixed up and in the bike shop! I've heard that putting it together is really best left for the experts, so I'm glad you took it in. You don't want it to fall apart while you're riding it. In fact, I put fenders on my hybrid and I am going to take it into the shop because they aren't perfect and I can't figure it out. I've put it too many hours trying to make them work and I know a bike mechanic would have it up and running perfectly in seconds.

Bike Shorts (lycra shorts with padding, called chamois) - these are pricey, but sales and shop discounts can make them more affordable. They are tight and you will probably have to get a size bigger than you think you need! But the point of the shorts is to have them be tight, so don't feel self-conscious if they do make you feel like a sausage. They make me feel like a sausage and unless you're skin and bones, it's going to make everyone feel like a sausage. But the reason they have to be tight is so that if you are doing long distances, the cloth and seams don't chafe your skin and cause you issues.

You're not supposed to wear underwear with them! It defeats the purpose of wearing them for the no chafing aspect. Take them off as soon as your done riding and toss in the wash. Don't rewear them because the sweat promotes bacteria.

Helmets -- If they are sold in a shop (and not on Craig'slist) then they are probably certified to be on the road and in your head. Some people argue that some helmets are better (the rounded shape over the sharp edges) but I think the really important part is that 1) you're wearing it! and 2) it fits. In order to know if it fits, it has to be tight on your head (hopefully the helmet comes with adjustable straps) but not enough to give you a headache. Yes, your hair will be mushed down, but it's better to have mushed hair than it is to become a vegetable in the hospital if a car or a squirrel cause you to crash and hit the pavement.

Also, if you do happen to have a crash and the helmet saves your head from turning into mush, replace it. Once it saves you, it's probably gotten damage in the foam and it won't protect you as well the next time it happens.

The other differences in helmets have to do with the brand and the material its made out of -- the foam will be the same in all helmets. The plastic part is what changes and can be made out of all types materials. The lighter the helmet, the more expensive the helmet. Brand names will also add cost.

Mine is a Bell that I purchased on sale for about $50. It's worked so far, again, I haven't hit the pavement with it, although since I've had it for a while, I want to replace it.

You can also look for helmets that have padding inside it that can be taken out and washed. I take mine out every once in a while and toss in the wash. My head does get sweaty. Helmets can be washed with soapy water, but never in a machine!

Seats - If you're just starting to ride (or Spinning class for that matter) it's going to hurt a bit. It takes a while for your butt to figure out how to sit and yes, you may need to adjust until you get comfortable in the seat. Expect it to hurt the first couple of times you ride. After that, if it's still hurting, it will be the position of the saddle or the type of saddle. Sometimes your sitbones may be more narrow or wider than what the seat is meant to give you. Don't give up, you can replace the seat!

With the bike shorts, the chamois will also help it be more comfortable.

My hybrid came with a seat that's awful. I couldn't handle it. I don't know how anyone could ride it. I replaced it with a gel seat. My road bike has the original stock saddle and it's perfect for my butt. No one thought it would be because all cyclists say the stock saddle is horrible. So far, so good... And I've done hours long rides, so its stood up to that.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 150/148/125

Height: 5'8

I went to my first SoulCycle class yesterday and loved it! Super high energy and great music. It was my second workout of the day, so my energy wasn't as amazing as it could have been, but I'm sure I still burned a ton of calories. I def think it is a fun way to do cardio but I for sure still need toning workouts for more visible results.
cbheart16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

*Waves* Hi everyone! Finally have been getting some miles in lately :-) Weather has been around 100 degrees as the daily high which is wonderful.

There is a century ride coming up in November and they have a half century as well (32 miles I think?)

The most I've ever done is 15 miles.. I am sure I could easily do more it's just the weather has been too hot.

Any advice on working my way up to a 30 mile ride? Just do it? lol
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunSize View Post
*Waves* Hi everyone! Finally have been getting some miles in lately :-) Weather has been around 100 degrees as the daily high which is wonderful.

There is a century ride coming up in November and they have a half century as well (32 miles I think?)

The most I've ever done is 15 miles.. I am sure I could easily do more it's just the weather has been too hot.

Any advice on working my way up to a 30 mile ride? Just do it? lol
A century is 100 miles. Century = 100 years!

A half-century is 50 miles.

If they are referring to a METRIC century, then that's 100 KILOMETERS, which is approximately 63 miles. A half-metric would be around 32 miles.

Check before you sign up! Otherwise you might train for the wrong ride!

As for training...

Yes, ride. Ride short rides during the week if you can and then do longer rides on the weekends. It really depends on how much time to you have. For example:

Week 1
M - 15 miles
T - rest day or other activity
W - 17 miles
F - 15 miles
S - 20 miles
S - rest day or other activity

Week 2
M - 20 miles
W - 17 miles
F - 20 miles
S - 30 miles

Week 3
M - 20 miles
W - 25 miles
F - 25 miles
S - 30 miles

Week 4
M - 25 miles
W - 25 miles
F - 30 miles
S - 35 miles

Etc.

The idea is to increase, stay the same, increase again, stay the same.

The nice thing about riding a bike versus running, for example, is that to add another 5 miles to your longest ride is a stretch, but it's not impossible. I can't imagine how runners do it to train for a marathon! They are nuts!

The way that I trained for my metric century was like this:

Week 1:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Saturday ride: 22 miles
Sunday ride: 27 miles

Repeat week 2

Week 3:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Saturday ride: 27 miles
Sunday ride: 37 miles

Repeat week 3 - 5

Week 6:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Saturday ride: 37 miles
Sunday ride: 42 miles

Week 7:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Sunday ride: 56 miles

Week 8:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Saturday ride: 27 miles
Sunday ride: 56 miles

Week of Ride (ride was on a Sunday)
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Sunday ride: 63 miles

My group had to ramp up the riding pretty quickly (adding miles to the rides) because 1) there were weekends we had to skip due to people traveling or having to work and 2) the ride was coming up and we hadn't yet done an over 50 mile ride! Some friends hated it. I learned the most about nutrition during those long rides because we had to go prepared with food (not just water). I also learned which friends had the stamina (we all did well, some better than others though!).

Last edited by Rana; 09-18-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote