Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/130 mini goal 228

Height: 5'6"

Default Does it get better? The treadmill about kills me!

I have a Golds Gym treadmill at home. It has the pre-programed workouts on the control panel and also some kind of Jillian Michaels workout on a memory card. I find that I can't do the Jillian Michaels workout at all because it progresses way too quickly for me because I am not used to exercising. So, I tried the pre-programmed exercises but as the machine adjusts the speed, I have to knock the speed back down and I can't walk faster than 3 mph. Im not sure if it supposed to start jogging when the speed goes up. I have tried that but it feels like I am going to DIE! I know I am not really going to die but it's super hard for me. Is it just that it's too much too fast and I just need to start slower or should I push myself and expect it to get a little easier? Also, I really don't know how to jog or run. I takes me way out of my comfort zone and I feel like I look silly jogging or running. I want to try the couch to 5k also but is it better to do that outside or is it okay to do it on the treadmill? I don't have a problem with going outside with it, I am just wondering if there is a difference.
MyLilSweetPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Nothing says you have to do those programs exactly as they are on the machine. It's cold in the winter here, so when I was starting C25k, I did it partly on the treadmill. I just turned the treadmill up for the running part (whatever's comfortable--I think at first it was about just under 4.0 for the running part) and turned it back down for the walking part.

In terms of whether it's better or not, people are different. The treadmill is softer on their knees and feet than roads or sidewalk. Some find it more difficult to run outside once they've been on the treadmill for awhile. I did find it a bit of an adjustment when I got outside (more difficult to run), but eventually got there. "They" say that it's good to run on a variety of surfaces because you use different muscles and that adapting is good for you.

As long as you change the running increments gradually, you'll be fine. Do what you can do and work your way up. When I first started I was doing 30 seconds of running and about 3 mins walking...then 1 min and 2.5, etc. I remember having to repeat weeks of the C25k (I think I got stuck on the three minute run increment FOREVER), but I can run 15k now. Over the years, I've had to work my way back up once or twice, but it's easier the second time around.

I'd love to have the room for a treadmill at home...winter fitness would be much easier .

Last edited by tea2; 07-04-2012 at 03:41 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

It does get better. This is one of my favorite things about exercise. It makes me feel like superwoman when I get past a point that used to kill me. When I started again in March trying to lose, I remember saying that I would just do 30 minutes on the elliptical. I think I partially died about three times during that session. And it was a few days before I was ready to try again. But when my heart satrted getting stronger, I started being able to go longer and faster, and then I got back to lifting weights. This is my true love. I would tell you that you should just do what you can do. If that means walking, then walk. And then walk faster. And then walk on an incline. And then jog, and then run. You will get there, but not in one day. Get on treadmill. Walk. Repeat. You will be jogging before you know it!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I have been walking and running on the treadmill for over a year - 6 months consistently - and the programs are STILL too much for me. Don't sweat it. I got up to running 3 miles without stopping, but it bothers my knee too much. Now I do run 2/walk 1 and am working on increasing the speed on the run portions.

Definitely try C25K. I did the whole thing on the treadmill.

When I started, I walked at 2.5 and ran at 3.5. Don't worry about the speed for now.

Last edited by juliana77; 07-04-2012 at 12:45 PM.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #5  

Thank y'all so much for the responses! I just about cried reading each of them! I know it's possible! I have a confession : I am a smoker. I have quit with each of my pregnancies but right now I don't feel like I am ready to give it up even though I know how bad it is for me and I know it slows me down a lot. I am giving up so much it seems but I am okay with that. I had a total vaginal hysterectomy with rectocele and enterocele repair on 5/30. At that point I gave up soda. Now I have been drinking only water and I am on day 3 of no caffeine. I feel so much better than yesterday and day 1. Finding this site has helped me so far to know this is a process that is well worth it and possible! I'm sorry all that was off subject. Anyway, I think it going to mix up using my treadmill and outside. I will start small and keep reminding myself that there's a starting point in everything. I thank you ladies for reminding me of that! I have witnessed several people who started running daily and lost weight(along with eating right, of course) so I know that there must be something to it. I at least want to try so I'm going to do it! Starting today! I read on here where someone wrote, one year from now you will be glad you started today. I don't want to waste anymore time just wishing I was healthy and thin! Thanks so much!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #6  

Julianna77,I wanted to add that you look great in your avatar!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #7  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Hi,
I am one of those people who lost a ton of weight by eating right and running almost every day. I still do and it's been 2 years and I've maintained almost every bit of it. I started out at 240, 5'6" as well, and now 100 lbs. lighter. Take it at your own speed, but don't give up. I am living proof that you can do this. Good luck!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the above posters. I am doing C25K, and I have actually accelerated the program. This is a surprise to me, since I struggled so much on day 1. Regardless of whether you are ready for more faster, or need to slow it down, tomorrow will be better than today. Lots of smokers exercise too. It makes it harder, certainly, but much better to be an exercising smoker than a non-exercising smoker.

My one suggestion is to find some good, motivating music. I have go-to music for when it gets really hard. My current favorites for this, for whatever reason, include:

Eminem - One Shot
Rihanna - Shut Up and Drive
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For a Hero
Maroon 5 - Wake Up Call, Harder to Breathe
Finger Eleven - Paralyzer

Lots of great songs out there. Whether you use the music to get out of your body and just enjoy the moment (I have been known to sing out loud, even at the gym), to get motivated by the lyrics, or your body has a visceral reaction to the beat to keep you moving -- music is really helpful for me to hit my exercise goals. And it feels AWESOME when you hit milestones, or just get that super-charged endorphin rush.

Congratulations! And good luck!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Yes it does - but I dunno about treadmills, I far prefer running outside. You can do C25K and other programs either way. It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Make sure you have decent shoes.

mkroyer on this forum is a smoker who has run lots of full marathons with great times! I'm also a smoker (I should quit, really), initially I thought it was impossible to slow-jog longer than 3 minutes at a time, but now I run a mile at 7.0 mph on the treadmill as half of a warmup before a workout!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #10  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

Jumping straight into a workout from being sedentary can be very demoralizing. As someone who has never really exercised before, played sports or anything that required pushing past the point of discomfort, I found it "too hard" to keep going on Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred.

I gave up on exercise for a while and just last week decided..ya know what? I'm gonna do it. So I started Couch to 5k. I had to repeat one day already because it was challenging and I couldn't quite finish it the first time through, but I'm doing Week 2 Day 1 tomorrow at 6am!

I highly recommend c25k for getting your feet wet. Theres podcasts, apps you can download, or you can just use a stopwatch. It can be done on a treadmill or outside. Running/jogging isn't going to feel natural or graceful (or pleasant) at first. I'm still brand new at the whole thing, but not EVERY runner can be a masochist, so it must get better.
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinneranne2 View Post
Jumping straight into a workout from being sedentary can be very demoralizing. As someone who has never really exercised before, played sports or anything that required pushing past the point of discomfort, I found it "too hard" to keep going on Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred.
I agree with tinneranne2 100 per cent. It's really, truly hard to start at square one without feeling demoralized. I had the same problem with keeping going with Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred, and I'm not in good enough shape to do P90X. Those are things I'm going to work toward. For now, I'm doing jog-walk intervals outside, but I think that's just as good of a way to start on the treadmill.
Anyone can run. Who's watching you at home on your treadmill, anyway?
For a jog-walk interval, try jogging for 2 minutes followed by 1 minute of walking and repeat until you've completed at least 30 minutes.
Good luck!
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #12  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Smile

It about kills me too! But it hasn't yet so I keep at it. Today I joined the YMCA and I'm so excited to try some of the various classes and then I won't have to do the treadmill ALL the time. Keep at it, you can do it!
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #13  

Thanks everyone, your words are very encouraging. I am now walking on the treadmill up to 60 minutes! I walk some outside too. I have tried to jog some but I feel I'm not good at it. It seems like it's high impact on my knees especially with all the weight I'm lugging. I already have trouble with my knees. But, I do still try. I just can't believe I can go so long on the treadmill now! And having some great musics helps so much! I am also doing the 30DS and it kicks my butt! I have a hard time doing the butt kicks on level one. That also feels very high impact on my knees. Anyway, I guess it's sort of cheating but I modified that part and sort of do it as a walk in place butt kick instead of the jumping. I find the 30DS a little easier to get through each time although I have to do it every other day. The first time I did it my muscles were sore for about 5 days. I thought for sure it was going to hurt so bad the next time but it was easier and doing the exercise the 2nd time helped work out the rest of the soreness. Anyway, I just wanted to update and let you all know that I'm hanging in there and getting better slowly.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #14  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

There's no such thing as cheating in my book when it comes to exercise as long as you're putting everything you can into it. You don't want to hurt yourself and be forced then, not to exercise.

If you don't feel like jogging, don't. Keep on walking. If you walk on the treadmill, you can do walking intervals where you can up your speed for a couple of minutes and then walk at normal speed for a couple of minutes, just to work on your speed and keep things interesting, yet low impact. Another alternative could be to stay at the same speed but do incline intervals to make it a little tougher for periods. If your goal is to be a runner, don't worry, it will come. One day, you'll feel it and want to jog a little.

When I first started I did Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds (indoor walking) programme and 30DS. With 30 DS, I was doing the easiest modifications (and even modifying those at times) but I made sure I kept moving, marching in place, doing easier ab moves, whatever, as long as I kept moving. It took 2 cycles of 30DS for it to feel easy-ish to me. Now I run 6 km at a stretch and can do more but then I get bored. On days I don't feel like running, I do incline intervals on the treadmill and I like those because I can make them as hard or as easy as I like.

The best thing about exercise and continuing to do it is that you get better. The more you do something, the better you get at it, and the more you're able to do. It's really great.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote