Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default A question for the runners out there.

I am confused. I thought that when you developed stamina and endurance, you would be better off.
Well, I had occasional side stitches before, and they would go away if I changed what I was doing, ran slower, changed breathing, leaned back, whatever.
I have begun experiencing the most severe pain when I am running in the place you would get a side stitch. But if I continue to run, it only gets worse.

Nothing but stopping the activity will stop this pain, and it sometimes continues for a few minutes after stopping.
This is different than any stitch I have ever had before. I was running about 2 to 2 1/2 miles before this happened. Now I cannot jog longer than a minute before it starts. For awhile, I was just running a mile to keep up, but now I cannot even run that far.
I am going to go get an exam with bloodwork to make sure, because at this point I am convinced I am going to die. Or I am at least convinced there is a gremlin that is squeezing my liver, spleen and gallbladder in a vise when I try to run.

Has anyone else developed something like this, and if so, what did you do?
Running is the only cardio that I somewhat enjoy, and it is certainly the only thing that makes me feel like I'm working my heart. This is frustrating because I have worked so hard to get this far, and my stamina is still there. It's just this stupid pain that keeps me from doing what I like to do.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Maybe you pulled a muscle and it feels like a stitch? Get it checked by a doctor and do some alternative cardio, which will also benefit you a lot --dancing, cycling? But check with a doctor so as to get well soon and start jogging again! There is nothing like it!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 149/149/120

Height: 5'2"

Hmmm, I ran for years and cannot think of what that would be. After seeing a doc, I like 64s idea of trying another cardio activity, yes? When I was getting knee pains I went to spin classes. Not as much fun as running, but great workout at your own pace. Good luck.
Redredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/120/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm a runner and not sure either...have you changed anything lately (i.e. what you eat/drink before you run)?
Mollewogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #5  

I'm wondering whether it's a breathing pattern thing. With footfalls, try in-2-3, out-2-3 so you're inhaling and exhaling not always with the same footstrike. Weird that it would be a new issue, though.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote